Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Hood Scoops only decorative?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hood Scoops only decorative?

I know everyone loves the 05 hoodscoops but from what I am aware, they are non functional thus it being so cheap compared to the RKSports available one which is. So are you people just getting it purely just for looks and not caring about the functionality of it at all? I'm just curious.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AlphaEden
I know everyone loves the 05 hoodscoops but from what I am aware, they are non functional thus it being so cheap compared to the RKSports available one which is. So are you people just getting it purely just for looks and not caring about the functionality of it at all? I'm just curious.
The stock scoops are in fact non-functional. I went for the aftermarket Banshee hood which does take the air from the scoops and pump it in to the airbox. Also has rear vents which allow hot air to escape from the back.

So it depends on which type of hood you are running to decide if it is just for looks or not.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that they acted as vents only.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Teching In

They are functional, there just not functional from the factory, my uncle took out the plastic behind it and there was a clear shot from the inlet of the scoop to the engine.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

They are open & can be made functional. Stay tuned, I may have something in the works for anyone that wants to connect them to your CAI box.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

They are "functional" in that they let air into the engine compartment, but they are "non-functional" in that stock that air doesn't connect to the air intake of the engine.

The Banshee is "functional" in that it's scoops let air into the intake AND let hot air escape.

I'm biased though.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Their is another company working on a 'Woodward' look alike hood that directs airflow from the scoops to the airbox area and has some sort of hidden vents that draw hot air out as well. I believe it is Gravada doing those but it wont be out until June or July.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:57 AM
On The Tree

I'm not debating wether it is or it isn't, i'm asking you people if it is FUNCTIONAL FOR YOU or just decorative?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

In stock form, they allow airflow into the engine bay to aid in cooling. So if you define 'functional' as allowing more air in under the hood, then yes.

I've trimmed the baffle some with a sharp utility blade and put them back in which brings a lot more air under the hood than stock. The only way you could really tell a difference either way would be side by side testing of the same car, one with and one without the hood scoops driving the same speed on the same road at the same time with data logging equipment to see if the extra airflow helps engine cooling or anything else.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

The 05's I see here are definitely non-functional. It is completely solid plastic in the scoops. No Air could enter unless you remove the solid honeycombs.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Teching In

You can leave the honeycombs there, its the plastic piece behind it that you take out.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:22 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took my rubber bellows out of my hood and now Air rushs over my motor with them out 3 companies are working on a ram air box to attach to these scoops.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im going to check mine out.

i didnt know you can make them functional.

i thought they worked at high speeds though?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
im going to check mine out.

i didnt know you can make them functional.

i thought they worked at high speeds though?

"Ram Air" only works at high speeds.

The honeycomb is DEFINATLY not solid. (I'll take a picture tomorrow to prove it.) Their is a rubber piece behind it that deflects water and limits airflow however it does allow some air in. This can be removed or trimmed like I have done and it allows 100% airflow into the engine bay. I've considered designing a system to direct airflow from the scoops to the airbox area (for people with open element filters) but it wouldnt be easy to make. Perhaps i'll go work on that now.

Quick Reply: Hood Scoops only decorative?