Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2004 GTO Throttle Body Spacer Trail

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 GTO Throttle Body Spacer Trail

Well, although skeptical, I was curious and bought and installed an Airmax throttle body spacer today. The spacer itself installs easily, however I did have to cut close to an inch of the throttle body side of my CS Performance Carbon Fiber intake, which I wasn't thrilled about doing. Otherwise, the intake runs into the radiator.

Another fabrication issue involved the throttle linkage reloaction. The supplied part uses only one of the two bolt holes and moves the linkage an inch out form the manifold to compensate fo rhte spacer, but the sinlge bolt essentially becomes a fulcrum point and if the sucker isnt' bolted real tight or shakes loose, it can spin and throw off the cable tension. I wound up making another hole in the bracket and sticking another short bolt into the bracket, with the head facing the manifold to help hold the apparatus in place. The bolt head protrudes into a indention in the manifold near the TB and basically keeps it from turning.

It's hard to describe but everything is now snug and should be fine. I had a spotte check the cable while I pushd the acceleartor and it moves under the slightest pressure, opens and closes fully and doesn't bind or snag at all.

It's wet and rainy around here so I wasn't really pushing the car, but regardless I'm skeptical whether you can really feel small hp gains in a heads and cam V-8 anyway, if you think you can, it's usually a placebo thing. What I did notice is that the car actually functions in the low rpm range. It used to be, with my lumpy cam and other mods, that if I shifted early while accelerating or was heading up a hill or was cruising in low rpms and tried acclerating with the engine spinning below 1,500 rpms, the car would just bog.

After installation I can actually start accelerating smoothly on the highway at 1,000-2,000 rpms and even start from a stop in second gear with gentle throttle pressure without bogging down and choking out the car. I played around with this particular discovery for a while, and am convinced that this is a real change. I'm not exactly sure what this means, although it does actually help the drivability of the car, as I can now acclerate without down shifting in certain situations, or without applying more agressive throttle to get moving, such as passing on the highway, and probably does help with the mileage in that sense.

Other than leaning out the mixture, as advertised, I'm not sure what else would cause this effect, but it makes me think there may be soemthing to this after all. Oh, and no annoying whistle is audible at all, even with my my ear 6 inches from the spacer and the hood open. Granted my car is loud as hell, but there is flat out no noise.

So far, so good but 1)they need to work on that crapy throttle linkage reocation bracket and 2) be prepared to take a hacksaw to your expensive intake tube.

Quick Reply: 2004 GTO Throttle Body Spacer Trail