Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

10 worst things about your GTO

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. water leaks(owned 5 camaros, so I'm used to the leaks)
2. no coat hanger
3. heat sheild rattling under low rpms
4. stereo

thats it for now
Old 06-28-2006, 03:26 AM
Staging Lane

kinda heavy, small wheel wells, lame stereo

having fun correcting the problems tho.. broke too
Old 06-28-2006, 08:56 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA91
All 3 GTO's I've owned were the same... WTF?
Did you try adjusting the lights? Like I said, they sucked *** when I first got the car, the foglights were just as bright at the headlights. I raised them up from where they were adjusted from the factory, and now they are awesome. It's hard for me to understand how anyone would say these are bad headlights... they're almost as good as the HIDs on my STi were, and the lowbeams are every bit as good as the highbeams.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Having owned a GTO for about....mmm...48 hours or so, here are my first impressions:

1) CGAS!!!!! I know, a quick trip to the tuner should eliminate this "charming" little feature. It's supposed to save gas...right...so forcing me to add more throttle in 1st is supposed to save me fuel? Ahhh well.

2) Small Wheel Wells. I like the overall line of the car, but the wheels look undersized (even with 18" rims). I was wondering what would happen if I ever needed to get more tire under them, from my reading here it's going to be a problem.

3) Cheep plastic air deflectors on the vents. One's broke already.

4) Small trunk. 1 set of golf-bags only. I had a '92 vette and found the back area in that car more usable than the trunk in the GTO.

Small things, overall I am enjoying the car.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are the lights adjusted low from the factory?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:45 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm12sec
No idea.. My Colorado pickup was the same way when I got it.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like my 1993 grand am!
Old 07-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Here Are My Nits And Picks. ( 1 ) 3750lbs. ( 2 ) Tire Clearance. (3 ) Damn Headbanger If 5,11 Or Taller. ( 4 ) Slow *** Power Seats For A Car So Fast. ( 5 )small Trunk But I Dont Plan On Carrying Any Bodies. I Had Read A Post Mentioning The Low Beams Being The Worst. Mine Are Fine But The Wifes Mark Viii Has The Worst. Oh Yeah, Oh Yeah, Now For My Picken. (1 ) F-en Fast.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Teching In

I love my GTO but I can still find a couple of things I'd like to change:
1. weight
2. the slow power seats
3. stock shifter
4. the flower wheels
5. more places to put gauges other then just the spot above the AC stuff
6. I want 5x4.5 wheels not 5x120, so other GM wheels could fit
7. better stock tires
8. the pedals are too far to esally heal toe
9. im out of things that I would change, I love my GTO.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by donsuz
Here Are My Nits And Picks. ( 1 ) 3750lbs. . . . .
It's 240 lbs LIGHTER than the Mustang Shelby GT500 . . . . ?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Teching In

I'd also like to add that a "dead petal" would have been a nice touch...ahh well.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Owned mine for 1 year 8 months and has 25,500 miles.

1) Window fogging when raining. HVAC do NOTHING.
2) No door lock button like '06s
3) Buttons on key fob and the range SUCKS
4) Trunk is tiny due to the gas tank
5) Manual Shifter is awful. I can live with !CAGS, just learn to drive around it
6) Soft paint.
7) Placement of the single power outlet, needs another (install smokers package)
8) no dead pedal
9) Random stereo blasts
10) Front Alignment and strut rub issues
Old 07-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Actually the leather is from down under because I had a torn seat and the leather shop could not get the same pattern. Thanks Holden . The interior guy did say it was better than what Gm puts in their caddy's and Vettes.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
Question for you GTO owners: are the LS2 cars THAT much better to recommend the $5K+ over buying an '04, or would the '04's be worth paying the ~$19K with under 10K miles? M6 or course.

The reason I'm wondering is because I love Goats and would love to own one, however not only is the cheaper price of the '04's eye-catching, but IMO the Barbados Blue is THE hottest color on these cars, if not any car, and I'd love to get my hands on one but they're only available on the '04's.
Sorry for the late entry, I have been off line a couple months.

I have 58,4xx miles on my 2004 GTO.

04 v- 05 for $5k depends on what you plan to do with the car.

I bought my 04 new knowing the 05s would have 50 more HP because the LS1 is a known quantity, the LS2 was the unknown. There are currently some oil consumption and oil leak (rear main seal) issues with the LS2s installed in GTOs.

The other reason I bought my 04 new has to do with how people drive them. If you buy one with 10k miles on the clock the motor isn't even all the way broken in, but the clutch may be hanging on by a thread and who knows how many sets of tires have been on the car. Your comfort zone with that issue is your call. I know of one clutch in an 04 burnt away at 78 miles. I can think of three cars that got a new set of rear tires with the first oil change at 3,000.

I do wish now I had looked harder for a Barbados with M6. I found one with the A4 about two hundred miles from my house, drove over to look at it, really liked the color, had to have an M6.

If you are going to keep it you are going to have to put some money in it between 30k and 40k miles.

If you can get 30k miles out of the stock tires you have a pretty good alignment and leave the traction control on most of the time, and peel out away from stop signs maybe once every six weeks or so.

The factory bushings are good about 35k miles. Ride in a new 06, an 04 with under 10k miles ought to be just as quiet. Then go find an 04 with 25-30k miles on it and listen to all the rattles thumps and clunks over bumps. By 35k to 40k miles you are going to think your suspension is held together with baling wire and wingnuts. The first eight bushings under the car should fix all those noises, about $700 in parts.

So nit picks:

10. No oil pressure of volt gages factory, several aftermarket options.

9. Low beam and high beam aim are adjusted by the same screw. If you are willing to give up one you can dial the other in very nice. No known fix to get both in the same car yet.

8. Low production vehicle = expensive aftermarket parts. Some days the glass is half full, some days the glass is half empty.

7. Factory shifter at its best after 2.5 hours interstate. Marginal when hot, sucks when cold. GMM current probably best aftermarket option currently.

6. Pedal placement sucks for those who like IRS and M6 behind LS1. Three satisfactory mods to fix, free, free and $100.

5. Steering is a little slow in the 04s. Slightly quicker in the 05/06 but not retro-compatible. RMR ran a 2:1 gearset in the 2004 drift car, to halve the turns lock to lock, and then juggled pulley's and jets to double the output pressure of the power steering pump. They got a "did not start" at one of the competitions because of an overheated PS pump, and they were only running the car for 20 minutes at those events. A few of the current owners are looking for an option that will step up the response 20-40%.

4. The car would have been a total turd without ls1tech.com and ls1gto.com. 2/3 of Pontiac dealers I have been to (15 dealerships with all the interstate travel I do) assume GTO owners are either drug dealers, trust fund Aholes or street racing jagoffs. I have never owned an F-body so I can't compare notes on that one.

3. Clear coat on the 04s and 05s is pretty soft, I haven't been tracking the 06s. Zaino is your new best buddy. That will be another $100 and a weekend shot.

2. 'Power Off' is not a mode on the steering wheel audio controls. Really, this is my #2 nitpick. Irritates me everytime my cellphone rings.

1. Suspension is quirky, finicky and evidently unlike anything else GM sells in North America. You can get a good 4 wheel alignment at Dublin GMC near San Francisco. You can get a good 4 wheel alignment at Rossi Pontiac in Washington, NJ. If neither of those is convenient your next best bet is a dealership where one of the suits owns a goat. If you are not willing to do the work yourself option four is a good buddy with an alignment rack and option five is to find a dealer service rep that will actually call Dublin or Rossi to confirm you are not a total whack job.

M2c
S
Old 07-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned

blown struts 1000 miles in, interior rattles, dash bubbling, steering wheel bubbling...stereo...it's slow as hell
Old 07-30-2006, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Thats one great looking GTO you have there . I really like the interior. I find it hard to figure GM. They correct most of the issues the 04 had & then kill a great car. All it needed was a little development. Moon roof~convert.~Nav & XM ~move some of the interior switches & controls around~maybe add some optional gauges~etc.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Just turned in my silver 04 A4 GTO back to GMAC. I had a 2 year lease and the residule was $21700. There was one in the local paper for $17900. I now have an 05 A4 that is quite a bit faster. The small trunk and slow power seat dont bother me at all since I dont use the trunk or back seat. No power lock switch is a little unnerving. No compass/outside temp in IRVM sucks. Torque management sucks in the 04-best 1/4 mile time of 14.44. No times yet in the 05, but seat of pants says 7 to 9 tenths quicker. I didnt want to pay anywhere near sticker plus the $1300 gas guzzler fee so I found a Torrid Red 3500 mile 05 A4 in OK for $24800. :-) A sunroof option would be nice. A performance car of this nature should have full guages. The number 1 bitch I have for the 04 I owned is the fuel guage does not register when you only put 5 or 10 bucks worth of gas in. I know, I know, just fill the bitch up every time. I haul cars for a living and spend $200/day on diesel fuel and I would rather have that $50 in my wallet then in the cars tank. If I am only putting in 2 or 3 gallons to run some errands before heading out of town for a few days or a week, I want to know my miles to empty are accurate and not at zero. Mostly minor things, but hopefully taken care of in the next gen GTO for 2009.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just picked up my 2005 GTO about a month ago....

1. Pain in the *** to get the windows unfogged
2. Gauges suck.....temp gauge is a fake....where's the oil/voltage??
3. No map lights/compass in the rearview mirror
4. My 255/50/17 tires rub the fenders just a tad on hard turns
5. Reverse is hard to get into from time to time
6. Can't lay into it as much as I'd like to cuz of gas prices
7. Can't get over how comfortable it is
8. Can't get over how great it handles
9. Can't stop smiling everytime I see it
10. Made me forget all about my Z28

Honestly I can't imagine why anyone couldn't like this car!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 496 Likes on 346 Posts

Because Australia is upside down from us.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
It's 240 lbs LIGHTER than the Mustang Shelby GT500 . . . . ?
the reason everybody loved the gto back when it came out was because it was such a small light car with a huge engine jammed in
3750 is alot of weight compared to an f-bod

Quick Reply: 10 worst things about your GTO