Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat
View Poll Results: Was the GTO ugly before you were told it was?
I would think it's ugly anyways
18.18%
I think the GTO is ugly because I've been told so
1.82%
It's a mature good looking ride
70.00%
I like to play on the swing set.
10.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Would you think the GTO is ugly if somebody didn't tell you that?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Minion
I don't think the GTO is UGLY (I own an '04), but I do think there is a problem with the rear quarter panels and the overall proportion of the back end of the car. The rear wheel wells have this big featureless fender area over/around them. The distance from the top of the wheel well, to the top of the body/trunk, is too great. The wheel wells need to go up higher relative to the body lines, like how the front wheel wells come up nice and tight to the hoodline. The current styling creates an illusion that the rear wheels hang too low. Also, there is a lot of rear overhang.
Absolutely agree. I think it's a pretty decent looking car with this being the major aesthetic flaw. Taking the rear spoiler off helps.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I get more attention in my DD GTO than I get in any other vehicle I have owned. There is literally not a day that goes by where some hat-on-sideways (SiDeWaYZ, yo!) punk kid in a Mustang or a fart-cannoned ricer or a metro in his Bimmer don't feel the need to rev at me, race me onto the highway, or just generally show me how cool they are. Maybe this happens to G6 owners all the time too - dunno. I'm not an attention-***** like most so I could do without it, but for some crazy reason I can't seem to avoid it.

Regardless, here's my take - the '04's are indeed bland when stock, BUT they are great sleepers. There was a time when you didn't WANT to attract attention - something generally lost on the in-your-face ricer/poseur culture of today. There was a time when you had the big mill under the hood and you didn't want the cops or the guy next to you to know. Remember the COPO Camaros? Pretty bland, don't you think? There's a part of me that would just love a silver 04 GTO with a Maggie, Old-Man cam, big heads, and quiet exhaust

Now, the 05/06 looks a lot better with the hoodscoops and optional 18's, but IMO a set of nice staggered wheels/tires and better stance and you've got a nice looking ride - especially in person where they look much better than in photos.

Oh, and whoever mentioned overhangs as a concern apparently hasn't looked at a 4th Gen lately...
Old 05-05-2006, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

honestly, i dont care what other people think about MY car. i didnt buy it cause you or someone else likes it, i got it cause i wanted it. i like my sleeper. plus, i still get a lot of compliments cause of the name, so it doesnt matter.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's not let this develop into a "luv / hate" thread..........both vehicles have their plus/minus.

And besides, we each purchased them for our own individual reasons, and you know what they say about opinions?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

What i love is there isn't one on every corner.I get people all the time asking about the car.And i thought it was a sleeper.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

sorry, i didnt mean to come off as a d!#k, i was just stating my opinion. plus i didnt say anything about other cars
Old 05-05-2006, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

The GTO looks like a good car. But it is not a GTO. Ever since they came out with it, it has not done jusice to the GTO legacy.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Guys look at the name of the Poll..
" View Poll Results: Was the GTO ugly before you were told it was?"
It doesnt ask if you think its pretty or ugly,,
it asks whether you thought it was always ugly or
only after someone told you.
Its typical camarobird arrogance trying to **** off the GTO guy..
This forum exists for camarobird owners to rag on the GTO..
Go to a dedicated GTO forum and dont sweat it..
Those that actually own GTOs probably already know that we get a lot more compliments than a cartooncar with a ton of silly add on scoops,wings and vents and a screaming chicken on the hood.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by steveb1
The GTO looks like a good car. But it is not a GTO. Ever since they came out with it, it has not done jusice to the GTO legacy.
You ARE aware that the original wasn't really a "GTO" either, right? That the name was somewhat cheaply taken from the Ferrari 250 GTO since, to my knowledge at least, the Pontiac version never did any racing in the GT class (unlike today where the GTO.R successfully races in Rolex GT class)...?

What's more, could you please tell me how "it has not done justice" to the legacy? Is it not a 2-door, RWD, V-8 musclecar based on an unassuming platform? Don't you think that a bone stock '05 GTO would absolutely wallop "the legend" in just about any performance contest you want to put it in? Seriously, there is a lot to be said for heritage and I'll be the last to ride an old design when placed in context, but some of you guys need to stop romanticizing and start researching.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fulton 1

What's more, could you please tell me how .
They wanted something with bulbous exxagerated fenders, bulging hoods,
wings,scoops and vents everywhere like the Camarobirds.
You know something you might see in a kids video game.
They havent bothered to research that the original GTO was a bland *** plain jane car with honking big engine.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Thank you, HOTROD. They seem to think that their opinion of the F-bodies is unanimous. I owned a F-body but chose the camaro due to the gawdy styling of the TA. EVERY vehicle has at least one angle that looks bad, including the F-bodies and Mustangs, and 300s and Chargers. The GTO is a MUCH better looking vehicle to ME than any F-body. I could have bought 3 or 4 F-bodies, but instead I bought two GTOs.

All those retards who keep saying the car doesn't live up to what the past GTOs were obviously don't know what they're talking about. A few of us either owned or still own the past versions too.

Regarding the topic, I think the GTO looks better, or least just as good as anything else on the road. Those who think it's ugly need only remember that we have opinions too. We bought our cars for what WE think, not what OTHERS think.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
They wanted something with bulbous exxagerated fenders, bulging hoods,
wings,scoops and vents everywhere like the Camarobirds.
You know something you might see in a kids video game.
They havent bothered to research that the original GTO was a bland *** plain jane car with honking big engine.
Like I said earlier, its just the way things are these days (do I sound old?). If it looks impressive, then, damnit, it IS impressive. Then we have the same folks who laugh at the ricers and the FnF movies (who obviously ought to know better) spout this kind of **** . Sad, really, because for those of us who grew up around SVO Mustangs, Cease-Fire GM SBC's, and FWD Shelby Chargers, these ARE the ******* good ole days.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pont3
All those retards who keep saying the car doesn't live up to what the past GTOs were obviously don't know what they're talking about. A few of us either owned or still own the past versions too.
Good point. The new GTO certainly lives up the performance legacy of the original GTO and for the most part exceeds it. Unfortunately the legend of the first GTO is greater than it's actual performance was which tends to blind people to the newer version. The new GTO has already racked up some impressive racing credentials with the sucessful GTO.R program, NHRA Pro Stock and even in drifting.

Admittedly I was one of detractors of the new GTO, but the looks eventually grew on me, especially when the 05's came out. Then I test drove one and was amazed how nice it was. In fact now I'm seriously considering buying a 06 GTO. Go figure.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

(2) words to support the GTO crowd:

Greg Anderson

Almost unbeaten and pulls around even when jumped at the light
Old 05-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
but it still doesnt live up to the GTO name that everyone wanted it to which brings about the harsh comments etc.. Kindda the same deal with the new charger as well...
thats funny because its the fastest,quickest,most powerful GTO ever made. with great seats! not a bench.the 64 GTO was a Lemans ( comfy family car ) with the big powerful motor of the time. isnt that what the new GTO is loosely based on? old timers jus have a jadded view of the past. dont get me wrong though i love musclecars and have a 68 GTO and an 05 GTO
Old 05-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

You know I've never thought the GTO was ugly it's just the stying is not as bold as a WS6/SS F body car and for some people that's a good thing. I'm sure they are very comfortable cars and the LS2 gives them a potent motor that puts them on par with an LS1 F body in performance. If I were shopping for a new car I'd take an 06 GTO over an 06 Mustang GT any day.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Teching In

I was a former Mustang owner……

With that said I made fun of the GTO when it came out in ’04. To me it was not a GTO. I was completely aware of the performance specs though and respected the vehicle for that reason. When I look at mine (2004) I still see a Holden Monaro. That’s why I’ve removed the badges and spoiler, to me it looks cleaner.

The GTO is closer to a BMW M3 then it is to a Mustang Cobra in my opinion. With a nice set of wheels and shaved down, the GTO is really sleek and clean. I really like the fact that it does not draw attention to itself like my ’03 Cobra did. When someone gets into a Cobra, they’re expect power, when somebody gets into my GTO and I hammer on that 6-speed, they’re ALWAYS surprised. I love that fact.

Personally, I prefer the European port performance vehicles and love the way the ’04 GTO looks. I feel the ‘05/06 was messed with too much. The hood scoops look slapped on and out of place, as does the new “even more like a Grand Prix GT” rear end.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is my opinion: I din't like the GTO when it first came out because I had an expectation, being a WS6 owner I expected the replacement to be meaner , GTO=Grand Am back in 04. I look at it now and it is a nice car. If something is ugly it is ugly, not because someone said it was. I really doubt there are people here who say it is ugly because someone else said so.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Its nice to see that all Fbody owners are not out to bash their brothers..
Thanks..
Old 05-06-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by smokehouse
I was a former Mustang owner……

With that said I made fun of the GTO when it came out in ’04. To me it was not a GTO. I was completely aware of the performance specs though and respected the vehicle for that reason. When I look at mine (2004) I still see a Holden Monaro. That’s why I’ve removed the badges and spoiler, to me it looks cleaner.

The GTO is closer to a BMW M3 then it is to a Mustang Cobra in my opinion. With a nice set of wheels and shaved down, the GTO is really sleek and clean. I really like the fact that it does not draw attention to itself like my ’03 Cobra did. When someone gets into a Cobra, they’re expect power, when somebody gets into my GTO and I hammer on that 6-speed, they’re ALWAYS surprised. I love that fact.

Personally, I prefer the European port performance vehicles and love the way the ’04 GTO looks. I feel the ‘05/06 was messed with too much. The hood scoops look slapped on and out of place, as does the new “even more like a Grand Prix GT” rear end.
I agree with you on everything except the last part since I do like the 05/06. But, where I think many people go wrong is when they say its not a WS6 or its not a Mustang. Well, yes, that's by design. I've owned my share of performance cars and I think the GTO fits a niche somewhere between an M3 and an F-body. It has the no-BS LSx powertrain in a package that is more refined (I hate that word) and more daily driver friendly. Its a lot like a WS6 that grew up and had kids or maybe a Vette that left management because it didn't want to deal with the politics anymore...

Quick Reply: Would you think the GTO is ugly if somebody didn't tell you that?