Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat
View Poll Results: Was the GTO ugly before you were told it was?
I would think it's ugly anyways
18.18%
I think the GTO is ugly because I've been told so
1.82%
It's a mature good looking ride
70.00%
I like to play on the swing set.
10.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Would you think the GTO is ugly if somebody didn't tell you that?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO it looks like a beefed up Grand am, not for me!
Old 05-07-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steveb1
The GTO looks like a good car. But it is not a GTO. Ever since they came out with it, it has not done jusice to the GTO legacy.
just a FRIENDLY reminder (i'm not starting a war). Nobody would argue that the LS1/LS2 GTOs are superior to the '64-'74s in terms of performance, so let's talk appearance.

this is the legend.....

that this has to live up to....

I know I'm biased, but I don't think it fails to do justice to any legacy...
Old 05-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

i like the subtle sleekness of the car, the "sleeper" look of it.. the lack of a "look at me" factor..

it's a good looking car... and a good car in every other aspect. BUT

i don't think they shouldve called it a GTO
Old 05-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Teching In

I love mine! But everyone has there tastes.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Launching!

I went for a ride in my friends 04 lastnight. I never have been a real big fan of them but i must say i like them more after riding in one. I do like the interior, it is much more modern and nicer than the F-Body's. It rides better and is more comfy but i still dont mind the TA's interior or the ride of it that much. They are nice cars, if i didnt have my WS6 I would consider buying one but since I have my WS6 i would never trade it for a GTO. The exterior just doesnt do anything for me.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

I would still own mine... and will continue to hunt other cars down in it. Its lots of fun pulling up next to someone who thinks they are the **** and your car is slow/heavy and then whooping them. The look on their faces is priceless!
But back on topic. I could relaly care less what other people think. I like the car a lot, and my GF and Dad also really like it. But whether they liked it or not would not have mattered in my purchase.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
just a FRIENDLY reminder (i'm not starting a war). Nobody would argue that the LS1/LS2 GTOs are superior to the '64-'74s in terms of performance, so let's talk appearance.

this is the legend.....

that this has to live up to....

I know I'm biased, but I don't think it fails to do justice to any legacy...
You found and picked the plainest, homeliest, and very first GTO..a 1964...which was a TEMPEST actually, with a couple of GTO badges.The first real Goat was a 1965, which was an entirely different car...an actual model design, not a Tempest....if you want to compare, please look at any other year, especially a 1969 GTO Judge. ....and NO, I don't think the new ones are ugly by any means really, just too plain...like the early Goat, they need their very own Body style.Although you will not see many Monaro's around either.

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 05-07-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the GTO looks fine. Several people have complemented me on it. The only people I find who don't like the looks of the care are on web sites. My only complaint with the car comes from durability issues.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Ok I need to comment again...

For my opinions stated on how it didnt live up to the GTO name, I was not talking trash about the GTO..being before I bought my trans am last fall I had spent over a year planning to buy a GTO, but ended up with the T/A due to financial issues...so I love the GTO as much or more than I do the F-Body..

Now what I meant by not living up to the GTO name for many people was that after the new mustang came out a lot of people fell in love with the look as it was retro and looked like the old mustangs...so when the GTO came out people were expecting retro/look alike to the old GTO...

and although I didnt care that it wasnt retro and I still loved how it looked, my father, his brothers, and his friends who are all muscle car enthusiasts (all also own several old muscle cars) were disapointed cuz it wasnt made with that mustang look (By the way they all Hate FORD so that is why it was disapointing for them). I also think since GM didnt have a performance car to compete with the mustang, that everyone that loves GM wanted the GTO to show up the mustang and give GM there pride etc.. back for having the best looking, best performing muscle car once again..

I dont know how many times I have heard from TONS of people..."why didnt they make it like the mustang etc." which annoys me but w/e....so while some may mean differently by "the GTO doesnt live up to the old one" that is not how I meant it...

I love the GTO's and still plan to own one someday, so if anyone took my comment wrong I am sorry.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
You found and picked the plainest, homeliest, and very first GTO..a 1964...which was a TEMPEST actually, with a couple of GTO badges.The first real Goat was a 1965, which was an entirely different car...an actual model design, not a Tempest....if you want to compare, please look at any other year, especially a 1969 GTO Judge. ....and NO, I don't think the new ones are ugly by any means really, just too plain...like the early Goat, they need their very own Body style.Although you will not see many Monaro's around either.
you're right I did...but I did it purposely because honestly, '64 was THE FIRST GTO.....the '65 wasn't particularly good looking either IMO. '66-'67 are gorgeous, '68-'69 are almost as nice and my favorite is probably the '70.

the whole point with using a '64 was to illustrate the fact that the car was plain when it appeared the first time....so why does the '04 receive so much hatred for being the same way?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
you're right I did...but I did it purposely because honestly, '64 was THE FIRST GTO.....the '65 wasn't particularly good looking either IMO. '66-'67 are gorgeous, '68-'69 are almost as nice and my favorite is probably the '70.

the whole point with using a '64 was to illustrate the fact that the car was plain when it appeared the first time....so why does the '04 receive so much hatred for being the same way?
Id like to know that myself. My guess is hyper-sentimentalism and an acute case of "the good ole days" syndrome.
Who cares what sticker they slap on the car...the modern GTO's are awesome cars. Sure, the styling is blandish, but who cares?
You get an awesome car for the money.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I liked the GTO when I first saw them in Australia as the Holden Monaro. I think its a handsome car. Drop dead gorgeous? No way. A little plain? Maybe, but if your an enthusiast, there are aftermarket parts to change that. My biggest disappointment, styling wise, was/is the lack of "Pontiac-ness". No darkened, blistered taillights, no aggressive nose. That's all Pontiac could change with what it was given. But its still a good car dynamically.

I don't know why people compare the GTO to the WS6. They are two completely different cars. The GTO has never weighed the same as the smaller f-bodies, yet it gets tagged as a 'pig'. If it weren't for the rear seating configuration, it would be a true 5 passenger coupe. The GTO is upmarket from the F-body, so it will be bigger, cost more, etc...
I'm just tired of hearing complaints on how it should have weighed 3200 lbs and cost $22K. Like GM can ship cars halfway around the world and make a profit with that price point. Those people obviously want a new F body, well this aint it, and GM never claimed it to be.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dgformula2k

I don't know why people compare the GTO to the WS6. They are two completely different cars. The GTO has never weighed the same as the smaller f-bodies, yet it gets tagged as a 'pig'. If it weren't for the rear seating configuration, it would be a true 5 passenger coupe. The GTO is upmarket from the F-body, so it will be bigger, cost more, etc...
I'm just tired of hearing complaints on how it should have weighed 3200 lbs and cost $22K. Like GM can ship cars halfway around the world and make a profit with that price point. Those people obviously want a new F body, well this aint it, and GM never claimed it to be.
excellent points.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

All of the f-body guys are pissed because they finally stop making them rattling pieces of crap and this was there only choice. The 98-02 f-bodys are were the fox body mustangs are. You have your diehard guys who can't let go and change. In 25 years they will still have one in there garage that they are restoring and tell everyone how they were the fast guy I know I have a 93 camaro that I can't let go. I have an 04 gto and before this I had a 99 hardtop vette. I'm selling the 04 gto to get a 05 vette. Enough said. As for the look I like the GTO and what makes the difference to me is the rear bumper. To me it breaks the very large back fenders up. This fix most of the styling it was lacking I think. Also my mother drives a Mercedecs 500 two door (similar car I think) If I had my choices GTO all the way. If you pay 65000 for one 45000 is a name 20000 worth of car the GTO has much more quality In my opinion. I don't care if I started a war, I did not come to make friends.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like the interior mainly on the GTO's....i also like the bumbers like MAC4264 said...
Old 05-10-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MAC4264
All of the f-body guys are pissed because they finally stop making them rattling pieces of crap and this was there only choice.
What an inaccurate and generalized comment.......first F-body I ever owned was a 4th gen, so don't go saying F-body guys are pissed. Bottom line is if you are fascinated w/a particular model, then go for it, but don't bash those who have elected to purchase something totally different in styling.

To each his/her own, and BTW, my subframes and suspension comps provide a NON-RATTLING environment, so don't go telling ppl that F-bodies are "rattling POS". Maybe the 1st - 3rd gens had those issues, but GM did a solid job of avoiding this problem in the 4th gens IMO.

Personally, I would luv to have this thread closed, as it is accomplishing nothing but stirring a rivalry.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Personally, I would luv to have this thread closed, as it is accomplishing nothing but stirring a rivalry.
I agree ... and to each his or her own.

Last edited by Jared H; 05-10-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
my subframes and suspension comps provide a NON-RATTLING environment, so don't go telling ppl that F-bodies are "rattling POS". Maybe the 1st - 3rd gens had those issues, but GM did a solid job of avoiding this problem in the 4th gens IMO.

GM didn't avoid the rattling problem then did it....

GTOs will probably rattle down the line too....they're just not old enough to get there yet and the fact that they all have solid hardtops will mean different stuff is going to rattle.

In general, STOCK 4th gens do like to rattle a lot...I owned two of them, I'm allowed to say that objectively.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
To each his/her own, and BTW, my subframes and suspension comps provide a NON-RATTLING environment, so don't go telling ppl that F-bodies are "rattling POS".
So your replaced the stock rattling parts with aftermarket ones that dont?
How does that make the car not a rattler then?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

I put SFC's on my Camaro less than a year after I bought it and it still rattled later in life. My GTO rattles less now w/o SFC's (almost 2 years of ownership) than the Camaro did at the same point with SFC's.

I think people like jumping on the bandwagon. Some guy's cousin's father's best friend's wife read in Motor Trend that the GTO looks like a Cavalier. Now people that haven't even seen the car think it's a Cavalier. Some idiot down in Springfield, IL saw me getting out of it at a gas station. He asked me "how's it run?" I said "great!" He comes back with "runs like a Cavalier?" I was so flabbergasted I was speechless. I bet he knows someone with an old GTO that would smoke me too.

Quick Reply: Would you think the GTO is ugly if somebody didn't tell you that?