Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

drove a 04 gto a4 today

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drove a 04 gto a4 today

drove it today,just for ***** and giggles at a used car lot,with no intent to
buy.i just wanted to see how it measured up to my 00 s camaro m6,and to tell the truth i wasnt impressed. it felt about even,probally cause of the weight diff. im not knocking it, it was enjoyable non-the-less. i do like the seats and the room inside also the ride was great. but the 05 has a better appearence. im going to do more looking around for a 05, to see how the ls2 6.0 rolls. if that impressess me i'll probally get one in a couple yrs. i hope they dont stay sky high like the one i drove today, 24,999 19k btw.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

WOW 25K is alot. I get GMS Priceing so mine was $29,161. Of course I have the LS2 and boy I cant be happier. That and throwing on a Magnacharger should wake it up. I love the hood and the bumper, the room is just sickening, very comfortable for 4 adults that's for sure, the ride is awesome. STEREO SUCKS *****, I REPEAT STEREO SUCKS *****. That and the steering wheel doesnt recline low enough. Those are my only gripes.

Oh and an Auto isnt going to offer you any frills as the weight of the Goat is heavy.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i drove a stock 04 A4 gto..didnt impress me at all. i was actually disappointed
Old 06-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Teching In

I guess it takes different sensations to impress different people. I've owned my '04 A4 for nearly two years and I'm still VERY impressed every time I fire it up. I've owned my '05 M6 for four months and am very impressed with it as well. Wife has commandeered the '04, (which I actually prefer), so I am stuck with the '05.

Since we want to state cars we weren't impressed with, I'll add my nickle's worth:
1. Mustang GT
2. Infinity G35
3. Nissan 350Z
4. Dodge Charger

Not saying anything is wrong with those cars, just they didn't incite me to part with my dollars.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Teching In

I own a 2004 A4 and I love mine, but not matter what you have, there will always be people that don't like it. You could own a Ferrari Enzo and there would be a few calling it junk - lol Just the way it is.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:46 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash99
STEREO SUCKS *****, I REPEAT STEREO SUCKS *****. That and the steering wheel doesnt recline low enough. Those are my only gripes.
I don't have either of these complaints about my '04. The stereo does not "suck *****"... it's nothing spectacular, but it is better than a lot of cars come with from the factory. I dunno WTF you expect to come in a car.

If my steering wheel were any lower it would be touching my legs.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Although everybody who test drives a GTO won't necessarily buy one, I don't think many will say it didn't impress them. Like the styling or not, you can't deny the rush you get from the LS1/2 and the exhaust sound, (provided you're an enthusiast). And the stereo isn't bad at all if you know how to adjust the settings. I'm TOTALLY satisfied with mine. But if your primary goal is to find nits to pick, yes you will find some in ANY car.

So if you don't like the GTO, fine don't buy one. But realize the car is perfect for some, IE, ME, especially when I consider what was available prior to it.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Launching!

yup,,
04s especially the autos are slow,,
really really slow..
not impresive at all..
my car is so slow it can barely run a 12.0..
pityful..
Old 06-11-2006, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pont3
Although everybody who test drives a GTO won't necessarily buy one, I don't think many will say it didn't impress them. Like the styling or not, you can't deny the rush you get from the LS1/2 and the exhaust sound, (provided you're an enthusiast). And the stereo isn't bad at all if you know how to adjust the settings. I'm TOTALLY satisfied with mine. But if your primary goal is to find nits to pick, yes you will find some in ANY car.

So if you don't like the GTO, fine don't buy one. But realize the car is perfect for some, IE, ME, especially when I consider what was available prior to it.

The Stereo Sucks, lets be honest with everyone. 6 CD's and you'd think they'd make it MP3 Compatible, even the stupid Scions and rice boxe's have MP3's and even IPOD crap ready. The styling is ok, grows on me more and more everyday. I hate the fact there isnt very many aftermarket rims, I dont wanna do the whole "SPACER" issue and get some Fbody rims, but I might go that route. And the top end on the goat is just sickening, I find myself at 100mph thinking I"m doing around 70. Smoothest ride, and not a cop magnet.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Flash99
The Stereo Sucks, lets be honest with everyone. 6 CD's and you'd think they'd make it MP3 Compatible, even the stupid Scions and rice boxe's have MP3's and even IPOD crap ready. The styling is ok, grows on me more and more everyday. I hate the fact there isnt very many aftermarket rims, I dont wanna do the whole "SPACER" issue and get some Fbody rims, but I might go that route. And the top end on the goat is just sickening, I find myself at 100mph thinking I"m doing around 70. Smoothest ride, and not a cop magnet.
Well, those Scions have to have something to generate interest. The GTO is about the driving experience and I couldn't care less about an MP3 or IPOD. The engine makes all the "necessary" sounds, and on those rare occasions that you PREFER to listen to music, the standard sound system fills the bill, at least for me. I'll admit I've heard better systems but "sucks" is not a word I would associate with the GTO's system. I agree about the wheel availability part, though.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
yup,,
04s especially the autos are slow,,
really really slow..
not impresive at all..
pityful..

Liar . . . . . . . LoL

With that being said get a Tune for an auto to delete the Torque Management, maybe stiffen the shifts a bit and you'd be happier. Auto GTOs are great drag cars, Stall them on the line and watch how hard they launch!!! I love my '04 M6 (which could use another 150 rwhp) more so than my old '00 Trans Am (which had a intercooled STS turbo kit at 8psi).
Much nicer car IMHO but it depends on intents and future goals. Oh don't get me wrong, I loved my Trans Am too, probably buy another one someday for a trailer queen/full Drag Car!! Otherwise I'll keep my GTO!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

You want wheels for a GTO, take a look here!! I don't see any problems with wheel choice!!

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45167

Enjoy, the thread is ONLY 14 pages long of members with "other than stock wheels!"
Old 06-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Teching In

If I was the head of Pontiac @ GM and it had been my decision, about the time I was presented a Blaupunkt in dash 6 CD 10 speaker 200 watt stereo system - I would have signed off in a heartbeat thinking those who designed the system went above & beyond. This car had 1 purpose: To fill the gap in between the 2003 Camaro/TA and the new Camaro for those wanting a rear wheel V8 "muscle car". Thats muscle car - not tuner car, rolling thunder - not bumblebee with bass thump. My point is there are 2 totally differant target audiences here. Yes, there are a few exceptions to the rule - but not enough to justify waisting time and money developing a state of the art stereo system for this car.

Last edited by LOBSTAH75; 06-13-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LOBSTAH75
If I was the head of Pontiac @ GM and it had been my decision, about the time I was presented a Blaupunkt in dash 6 CD 10 speaker 200 watt stereo system - I would have signed off in a heartbeat thinking those who designed the system went above & beyond. This car had 1 purpose: To fill the gap in between the 2003 Camaro/TA and the new Camaro for those wanting a rear wheel V8 "muscle car". Thats muscle car - not tuner car, rolling thunder - not bumblebee with bass thump. My point is there are 2 totallly differant target audiences here. Yes, there are a few exceptions to the rule - but not enough to justify waisting time and money developing a state of the art stereo system for this car.

Agreed.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stereo is fine, turn off the eq and go into the trunk and turn up the amp. As for Ipod and MP3 crap or an obnoxious ghetto bass who the f**K cares...if you need that bs buy rice. By the way no bluetooth, no GPS, no OnStar, no satellite radio either...so what. Is that what anyone would really have as a got to have priority that is really interested in a goat? And before anyone forgets, GM targeted this car to sell to men 35+.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO
The stereo is fine, turn off the eq and go into the trunk and turn up the amp. As for Ipod and MP3 crap or an obnoxious ghetto bass who the f**K cares...if you need that bs buy rice. By the way no bluetooth, no GPS, no OnStar, no satellite radio either...so what. Is that what anyone would really have as a got to have priority that is really interested in a goat? And before anyone forgets, GM targeted this car to sell to men 35+.
I totally agree with you, man. The stereo in my GTO is just fine for me, all I ever use it for is listening to satellite radio and CDs, and I wouldn't want some ghetto thump box in there.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Comparing a automatic GTO to a 6 speed Camaro . . . come on that is like comparing a apple to an orange . . . .

I like my A4, 04 GTO. Nice ride, excellent fit and finish, stereo is very good for stock GM.

A couple things I hate about the car. No power door lock switch, and no power trunk release button inside the car. The key is enormous too . . . .

Other than that its a great car. The Aussies can teach GM some tricks to make better cars.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
and no power trunk release button inside the car. .
umm look in the glove box. top left side.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

actually the stock stereo does suck *****, first mod I did
even with the EQ and amp adjustment, it was merely mediocre sounding, and dont get me started on how it couldn't play burned CD's.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bradz24
umm look in the glove box. top left side.

Is there really? I know I can be dence, but I swore I looked there . . .

I just checked . . . how embarassing . . .

One item off my list . . .

THANKS!

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 06-14-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: drove a 04 gto a4 today