Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

What does a GTO throttle body bypass do ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries.
I'm in South Florida.
As you can tell by my screen name, I'm no stranger to beer!
Don't think I've ever picked on anyone for drinking and posting. I've been guilty of that myself!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

ok i can still talk crap haha.. ok well what the hell was this post about? (gotta love forums) oh yeah well gogo you've seen both sides of the argument. so make your own choice. i just hope we were able to entertain the masses. it would seem 99% of people would do it. but i wouldn't. even if i did have an 04. imho there could be all kinds of crap that gets in there and rots out the tb.. i don't know, im drunk again. why else would i be here, on the pc, with my gf sleeping and my cars parked outside? all i know is i don't think there's much of a gain, but you have to look at your geography. ifit never gets cold, rip the thing out. but i would see it every time i opened my hood.. i would assume theres a big brass nipple hanging off the tb out in space, just winkin at `cha, and that would bug the hell out of me. imho, if theres a hose fitting somewhere, there should be a hose on it. maybe you could plumb some nitrous into the tb to cool it off. then run it back out the cowl. it would look like a purge, but would freeze your tb.. .. ... wait dont do that thats my big money idea. this the second of september the year of our lord two thousand and six, twenty-two point five hours. patent pending...

Last edited by whatsaholden; 09-03-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

LOL! I'm just back from the fridge myself..... I'll post some pics tomorrow of the TB bypass, and btter pics of the catch can. Its amazing how much oil its gotten so far.....
Old 09-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

ugh that scares me.. i don't mind a lil soot on my tailpipes as long as my top end stays nice and slippery... i'd like to see that bypass. i have seen the driver side where the brass plug is and the fitting used to be. the other side has a big servo on it to operate the throttle, prolly the only reason they got rid of the coolant filled tb.. the fitting would be staring right at me... maybe giving me a wink... oh well. i'm pretty certain my car would hit a high 12 at the 1/4 mi (which is in los angeles) with the help of my tuner, who is the main man at goats(i fall a bit short in the gm v8 dep't)and it looks completely stock. i mean.. it is completely stock. lmao.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

As promised, somewhat better pics of the catch can, and the basically invisible TB bypass. hope they're not too big.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

A long time ago someone did Dyno testing and saw 7 rwhp between back to back dynos. The dyno on the cold run would be higher than when they dynoed a few minutes later. Then after doing the TB Bypass the rwhp never went away between cold and hot runs.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Good info, thanks!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Teching In

I think the throttlebody bypass mod fight was the coolest tech. argument I have read. And I'm not sure what ghetto-bootleg FAST AND FURIOUS you saw (whatsaholden), but Paul Walker didn't throw a rod in the Eclipse. He actually (according to storyline of the movie I watched) he fried the rings.

Just thought I'd get in on the fun!!
P.S. Are all of us educated car enthusiasts as COCKY as these two? I think I am!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Would've replied sooner, but whatsaholden and I have just been signed to do a nightly routine in Vegas. Still working on a name for the act........
Old 09-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

thats funny that you know the guy's name... i saw like 3/4 of the movie and about threw up. that's all i ever saw. is the new one out yet? its about drifting right? i think the only thing that is going to save my reputation as a drifter is that it actually takes talent, unlike putting a giant wing and a no2 bottle on the car...
keep up on my posts and just throw something out for the sake of argument. it's always fun, especially after a few drinks.
i think a good name would be f*** a tb bypass (^o^)
Old 09-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Lol! Hope the bar tab is included....
Old 09-09-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

It does nothing but good do it and keep the intake charge colder!
Old 09-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whatsaholden
... i'm the guy who gets drunk and picks a fight, btw
Ha ha...yep. You're the same guy I send to the hospital every time too. Man, don't you people ever learn?

FWIW, the throttle bod mod makes good sense. If it were there in the first place to "aid in warming the air/intake temps" in cold weather, and assist in emissions, then it stands to reason that the removal of said hot coolant from the TB area would reduce/remove the effects that fluid has on the TB.

This thought process could generally be called "common sense". "Common sense" was not practiced very much whilst I spent my 8 yrs in California. "Common sense" in CA - what little there WAS - was inversely proportional to the distance to the city and/or valleys. I.e., the closer you got to either of the two, the less "common sense" observed. Whatsaholden is merely a product of his environment and can therefore not be held totally responsible for his actions, thoughts, mannerisms...nor should he be taken seriously.

.....(waiting for the witty reparte)

Last edited by Birddog0; 09-10-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Yikes!!! I'm not getting involved in this one again...........
Old 09-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Birddog0
.....(waiting for the witty reparte)
you're gay.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Teching In

LOL - go lay down somewhere LOL
Old 09-11-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for a quick laugh this morning, heh

Quick Reply: What does a GTO throttle body bypass do ???