Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Going from F-body to GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jax Hawk
Funny this post should come up. I'm in heavy deliberation on the subject. While I'd like to keep my 02 Hawk AND have a GTO, it's just not in the cards right now. I love the hawk but the deafening road noise is really wearin on me and my daughter is gettin to the age and size that necessitates a roomier passenger rear seat. I haven't completely made my mind up yet but am leaning more and more towards theGoat especially with some of thge testimonials in this thread.

It's a totally different feeling. To be honest, it's so quiet and comfortable that when you mash the throttle, it doesn't FEEL all that fast....until you look down at the speedo and see that you're approaching triple digits.

before my cam, I've had a lot of people tell me it felt like riding in a fast BMW.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:01 AM
11 Second Club

oh oh oh can i join the bandwagon... well ill be keeping the camaro, but i need a nice DD. the only thing im really curious about is how it will stand up to new england winters. my z28 with blizzacks did pretty good in about 4 to 6 inches of the white stuff, plus the winter driver mod helped out a lot im sure. what can i say my first vehicle was a 2wd ranger LOL
Old 12-21-2006, 04:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
oh oh oh can i join the bandwagon... well ill be keeping the camaro, but i need a nice DD. the only thing im really curious about is how it will stand up to new england winters. my z28 with blizzacks did pretty good in about 4 to 6 inches of the white stuff, plus the winter driver mod helped out a lot im sure. what can i say my first vehicle was a 2wd ranger LOL
with the extra weight, better suspension, narrower tires, ect...
it should get around better than the f-body.

mine has had no problem

keep in mind,
there isn't enough clearance for tire chains (or cables) should you need them
Old 12-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Everyone else has already hit the nail on the head. I went from a 2000 SS Camaro into the 04 GTO and I love it. Performance wise is the only thing I miss from the m6 of the SS. Other than that the GTO has it beat in EVERY category. It handles better I think, drives better, smoother, ride quality, fit and finish... I don't regret my decision at all!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Only thing I miss from my 95 TA is the T-tops otherwise I love my GTO. I wish the aftermarket was a little cheaper but I expected it to be pricey with the limited production. It is nice not seeing a hundred copies of your car driving around everday.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

If your BONE stock and run up on a LS-1 Camaro or Firebird that has a lid & cat-back be fore-warned. They will hurt your feelings !
Old 12-22-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

If you're into drag racing, then I would definitely stick with the f-body. The biggest reason is that they're lighter. But if you're just happy with regular street driving only, then an LS2 GTO with the M6 is the way to go. I think the last thing you want to do is downgrade (yeah, not upgrade) to a GTO with an A4. Sure, they run quicker than the M6's in the quarter mile, but they're heavy as hell and are far from being the ideal drag car--not to mention that the LS2 GTO's have a heat soak issue.

So, in short, if you're really into running the quarter mile, then stick with the f-body. If you're just into street driving, then go for an LS2 GTO. And an LS1 GTO shouldn't even be a thought.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1wfo
If your BONE stock and run up on a LS-1 Camaro or Firebird that has a lid & cat-back be fore-warned. They will hurt your feelings !

not if you're driving a stock LS2 dude....
Old 12-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by damon_Z
If you're into drag racing, then I would definitely stick with the f-body. The biggest reason is that they're lighter. But if you're just happy with regular street driving only, then an LS2 GTO with the M6 is the way to go. I think the last thing you want to do is downgrade (yeah, not upgrade) to a GTO with an A4. Sure, they run quicker than the M6's in the quarter mile, but they're heavy as hell and are far from being the ideal drag car--not to mention that the LS2 GTO's have a heat soak issue.

So, in short, if you're really into running the quarter mile, then stick with the f-body. If you're just into street driving, then go for an LS2 GTO. And an LS1 GTO shouldn't even be a thought.
my 01 t/a ws6 with just a lid and tune went 13.4 and put down 321hp, my 06 gto with a cai/fast 90 and tune put down 345hp and 13.3. so the gto is faster and smoother and thats without the bottle! like having the best of both world.

but, if your building a track car, then the f-body would be better "weight wise" and aerodynamics.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've owned my '99 Z28 for over 7 years and I continue to enjoy it for what it is. However, as some have referenced in this post, the GTO is quite a different car from the F-body. The interior of the GTO is much more comfortable and up-to-date relative to the f-body, and it just offers a more civilized driving experience. You really have to drive one to completely grasp the difference...
Old 12-26-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteDeathLS1
You really have to drive one to completely grasp the difference...

absolutely. Until ya drive one, you can't appreciate them.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Sorry dude ! Didn't mean to sour your feelings.By the way,what did your LS2 gto run completly stock ?
Old 12-26-2006, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
not if you're driving a stock LS2 dude....

And your completly stock gto ran what at the strip ?
Old 12-26-2006, 08:32 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

I'm surprised that the guys debating drag strip suitability have not mentioned the GTO's major achilles heel: the IRS.

Unless I missed it?

Have not switched from an F-bod to a GTO, so I'm not completely the member you are looking for comments from, but I did drive my buddy's M6 '05 GTO... and drove it hard a couple times. VERY nice car that definitely looks and feels like a step up in overall quality over an F-body and that LS2 felt pretty sweet.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1wfo
And your completly stock gto ran what at the strip ?

i've never had this car on the track....

I don't wanna get into an argument about LS1 f-bodies vs. LS2 GTOs again.....there's enough of that crap on here....
Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

i had a damn near full bolt on 02 ta i mean it put down really decent numbers and it got totalled and now i have an 04 gto a4 and i love it but its a pig and it handles so its kinda a toss up.... it still throws you back in your seat but its just not the same... i still wouldnt go back to an f body....plus in a ****** gto everybody and thier mom wants to race you.... it kinda pissin me off especially mustangs and 3rd gen f body..... and they get pissed when they get ate up by a grocery getter
Old 12-31-2006, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

i really dont want to lose my baby, but the gto is so much more reliable. i test drove one and now i cant decide to get rid of my car or not. with the mods i have how much slower is the gto? i am still young (18) so i dont really want to loose all the power. i dont want to have a grocery gettin soccer mom car the looks like im gonna be an old man so should i keep the camaro? the only reason i am bating on selling it is it has 90000 miles on it. HELP ME
Old 12-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Teching In

well at your age...i would keep the camaro....im 23 and im gettin my masters and i feel all professional now..haha...and i just feel like my car doesn't fit my profession....i feel that my Z is too flashy for me now.....when i was 18 i was lovin the attention (ive had an lt1 and an ls1)....so now im looking for a 2006 GTO...it looks a bit more "professional" and it is faster than most cars out there....just my 2 cents
Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Test drove an 04 m6 GTO at the time I was looking to buy another F-body. I loved the way the inside looked and felt. It was just an all around nicer ride. If things would have been different I probably would've gotten it, but decided on my 02 SOM Z28 instead. I might change to the GTO later, since my son is only 1 1/2 right now and fits in the back with is seat, ok.

I would love to have an 06 m6 Blue GTO......maybe someday
Old 01-05-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

no need to concern yourself with an image. just buy what you like or keep what you like and who cares what anyone else thinks.

Quick Reply: Going from F-body to GTO?