Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Going from F-body to GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from my car in sig to an 06 GTO and wish I never would have. I think the reasoning is going from 700 hp to 400 hp was to big of a backwards move and I hate not having the power. Aftermarket is so high on these cars its not worth modding IMO and they are heavy as **** and I absolutely despise the IRS. The intrior is indeed alot better and so is ride quality but Im more of a hotrod guy so Im looking to get out of the GTO ASAP.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had f-bodies, and w-bodies, and I can say, by far the GTO is the best car I've ever had. Running a 13.0@108 bone stock first time to the strip w/ 2700 on the odo was nice. headers made it slower, cuz she couldn't hook!!!! Just headers gave me 111mph traps.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Get out of the GTO. The traction control is SOOOOO restrictive on those things. It is nearly impossible to spin the wheels or slide the car, even with the TCS off!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ragingwolf51
Get out of the GTO. The traction control is SOOOOO restrictive on those things. It is nearly impossible to spin the wheels or slide the car, even with the TCS off!
are you fuggin' kidding?
i know look how bad it hampered my GTO

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...eabd38e9ff.htm

pfft.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

dang i really think you are miss informed i have entered into a power slide with the tcs on . Yea it slowed the car down but that was after i had already started to straighten the car out
Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I went from my car in sig to an 06 GTO and wish I never would have. I think the reasoning is going from 700 hp to 400 hp was to big of a backwards move and I hate not having the power. Aftermarket is so high on these cars its not worth modding IMO and they are heavy as **** and I absolutely despise the IRS. The intrior is indeed alot better and so is ride quality but Im more of a hotrod guy so Im looking to get out of the GTO ASAP.

Im thinking of doing the same thing but this is what I'm worried about. Going from having so much power back to 350ish . Dont know that I could handle that. Dont get me wrong, I work at a dealer so I have drivien a few GTOs and that LS2 is potent but it doesnt pin you back like my camaro and Im worried I will miss that too much
Old 01-11-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FastPacedGTO
are you fuggin' kidding?
i know look how bad it hampered my GTO

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...eabd38e9ff.htm

pfft.

Come on now, I can drop the clutch @ 3+ grand in my 90 hp worktruck and light the tires up like that.

In my GTO I can be doing 5-10 mph in first and just hammer it and I get a nice cushy soft acceleration out.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I can give you a direct comparison, since my '02 Firehawk is 100% stock and my '06 GTO is also.

The GTO handles better. Less body roll, more responsive steering. It actually feels smaller and more nimble than the hawk.

The Hawk feels a little quicker, but not by much. Probably a good race.

Interior-wise, there is no comparison. GTO is as nice as or better than my C6 Vette.

I like the t-tops on the Hawk better than the no-glass GTO roof.

Visibility in the GTO is much better, the door line is lower than an f-body. You can see out very easily, and the hood is invisible when looking out of the windshield.

Shifter in the GTO is clunky and vague. (both are 6-spds). Hurst in the Hawk isn't bad.

Clutch pedal is stiffer in the GTO.

Trunk space sucks in the GTO. You can fit more stuff in the hatch of an f-body.

Ride quality of the GTO is smoother. Very nice actually.

Fit/Finish/Materials are nicer on the GTO than the Hawk. Seems better engineered and put together, especially in the engine bay and body gaps.

Headlights work better on the GTO, about like a Camaro. Firebird headlights just suck.

Overall, I'd say the GTO is a better daily-driver. It is a nicer car, reminds me of the M3 BMW in terms of interior and performance. The F-body is more of a hotrod.
good comparison.i just bought an 06 IMB M6,i feel the quality is much better.

i too think that the car handles better than my F-Bod.feels much lighter than a 3800 lb. car.and the ride is sooo much better.

my Z/28 was killing my back.after 4 days of driving the GTO,(put 300 miles on it so far.)i can honestly say my back is feeling a lot better.very comfortable.the interior and ride quality is what sold me..

you can get a great deal on these right now,pick one up before their gone..
Old 01-14-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ragingwolf51

what are you talking about??

I get sideway with the TCS on....
Old 01-14-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
what are you talking about??

I get sideway with the TCS on....
Old 01-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Teching In

I currently own a 2005 GTO M6 and my first time out at the track my best time was a 13.01. After bolting on just a set of drag radials the car ran a 12.8. Not bad for such a heavy car, that is stock. I've owned a 02 Camaro SS, and it was a great car 2 but stock for stock, not as quick. For all out drag racing a solid rear axle is the way to go, but for the streets even though GTO's often have bad wheel hop, I haven't had major problems hooking up.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MoranoRacing
I currently own a 2005 GTO M6 and my first time out at the track my best time was a 13.01. After bolting on just a set of drag radials the car ran a 12.8. Not bad for such a heavy car, that is stock. I've owned a 02 Camaro SS, and it was a great car 2 but stock for stock, not as quick. For all out drag racing a solid rear axle is the way to go, but for the streets even though GTO's often have bad wheel hop, I haven't had major problems hooking up.

that's good driving man! way to show the haters what the car CAN do with a wheelman.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am possibly doing this. Maybe this weekend too.

6spd or nothing though.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Okay,I started out with a black 00' WS6 for my first "real" muscle car about 3 years ago.I loved the LS1,and the 6 speed,but the handling always seemed unpredictable which made it less fun to me,although I loved the car.It would launch hard with the 275 rubber on it too.But that dam 10 bolt wouldn't hold up.I added pacesetter coated headers,ORY pipe,granatelli lid,& ram HD powergrip clutch.It made it alittle faster,but by then the 04' GTO's had been out for awhile and I was wondering on whether or not I wanted one.
Well,I bought an 04' 6 speed,and the car wouldn't launch as good as the WS6 did,and you could tell slightly a difference in power b/c of additional weight.I kept this car stock,and over time learned how to use the irs,and got better at launching.I also noticed how well and predictable this car handled.I could go over not so smooth roads and swing the rear end out w/o being overly cautious,and at the same time felt more safe having fun in this car.It's just so quiet compared to the f-body's,and so comfortable.But then the 05' came out,and I made the mistake of driving a new one,and always craved it afterwards.That 6.0 is right at home in the goat.The torque is so awesome.The brakes are much improved,and I look the more aggressive look with the scooped hood and dual outlet exhaust.
So about 4 months ago,I found a used 05' that already had tinted windows,corsa sport catback,a dual gauge pod in the middle of dash,and some other minor things.I bought it.The first time I drove this car,I was in total AWE.I don't know if it's because the motor's broken-in with the miles or what,but it's an absolute HORSE.It seemed to have much more power than my 00' WS6,and pulls HARD all the way to 6500 rpm redline.I let a co-worker with a mid 12 second camaro drive it,just to see if I was being over-excited.He came back in 10 minutes,and i ask him,"how was it?".He says,"look at my hands",they were shaking,and he said he thinks I'd take his camaro,even though I think that's false.
But still,every time I get in that car,it just feels like a part of me,the way I fit in the seat,and the way it gets up to triple digits,screaming the whole way there,I'd have to tell you to get one of these cars,and trade in the f-bod,sorry.It's a hands down decision to me.I sometimes regretted my decision with the 04',and in NO WAY do I regret my decision now.So,if I was you I'd spend the extra money on the extra cubic inches that gives you extra torque for the extra weight.I've owned all three,the 05'-06' is the *****.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Well I've never had an F-body but tell ya what at 5 to 10 mph I can punch the gas and slide the car sideways just fine. Oh I have the LS1 04 m6. And the first time I had ever been to a track was with the goat I ran 14.2(forgot to turn off TC) and then clicked of a 13.7 and for a final run that day a 13.6. That was bone stock paper air filter down to the sreet tire.. I went back a month later with a K&N drop-in filter and some drag raidials and ran back to back 13.174's at 106 with a 1.9 60ft, would have done better that night with a 1.877 that I pulled of but I missed 3rd. So the car is no slouch in performance, wheel hop is an issue now that I have headers and a catback. The interior I LOVE but in the winter it is cold as all **** sitting on leather seats. If they sill made F-bodys I would have probably ended up one of them but I wanted a newer car and am very happy with my choice.
Ben

Oh ya 05/06 have tork management so that sucks but can be tuned out.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00ws6spd
Okay,I started out with a black 00' WS6 for my first "real" muscle car about 3 years ago.I loved the LS1,and the 6 speed,but the handling always seemed unpredictable which made it less fun to me,although I loved the car.It would launch hard with the 275 rubber on it too.But that dam 10 bolt wouldn't hold up.I added pacesetter coated headers,ORY pipe,granatelli lid,& ram HD powergrip clutch.It made it alittle faster,but by then the 04' GTO's had been out for awhile and I was wondering on whether or not I wanted one.
Well,I bought an 04' 6 speed,and the car wouldn't launch as good as the WS6 did,and you could tell slightly a difference in power b/c of additional weight.I kept this car stock,and over time learned how to use the irs,and got better at launching.I also noticed how well and predictable this car handled.I could go over not so smooth roads and swing the rear end out w/o being overly cautious,and at the same time felt more safe having fun in this car.It's just so quiet compared to the f-body's,and so comfortable.But then the 05' came out,and I made the mistake of driving a new one,and always craved it afterwards.That 6.0 is right at home in the goat.The torque is so awesome.The brakes are much improved,and I look the more aggressive look with the scooped hood and dual outlet exhaust.
So about 4 months ago,I found a used 05' that already had tinted windows,corsa sport catback,a dual gauge pod in the middle of dash,and some other minor things.I bought it.The first time I drove this car,I was in total AWE.I don't know if it's because the motor's broken-in with the miles or what,but it's an absolute HORSE.It seemed to have much more power than my 00' WS6,and pulls HARD all the way to 6500 rpm redline.I let a co-worker with a mid 12 second camaro drive it,just to see if I was being over-excited.He came back in 10 minutes,and i ask him,"how was it?".He says,"look at my hands",they were shaking,and he said he thinks I'd take his camaro,even though I think that's false.
But still,every time I get in that car,it just feels like a part of me,the way I fit in the seat,and the way it gets up to triple digits,screaming the whole way there,I'd have to tell you to get one of these cars,and trade in the f-bod,sorry.It's a hands down decision to me.I sometimes regretted my decision with the 04',and in NO WAY do I regret my decision now.So,if I was you I'd spend the extra money on the extra cubic inches that gives you extra torque for the extra weight.I've owned all three,the 05'-06' is the *****.
One of the better reviews/story I've seen on this site. I hope by this time next year I can experience the LS2 GTO everyday like you are.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by My 04 Goat
Well I've never had an F-body but tell ya what at 5 to 10 mph I can punch the gas and slide the car sideways just fine. Oh I have the LS1 04 m6.

you should try it with a cam and longtubes!!!

In the colder weather, the rear end will get loose anywhere below the top of second gear (60+ mph).
Old 02-12-2007, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Well I put long tubes on in Dec. but havent been to the track yet..And a cam goes in the first week of March. Taking it to Cartek(2X) for some love. Traction will be a problem but some Pedders suspension products are in the works. What you doing on April 14th and 15th big GTO GTG in NJ.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't think the goat would outhandle the Fbody unless the fbody had some crappy shocks or worn out ones. Weigh's less. etcetc
Old 02-13-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

At least the rear isn't as weak as the 10 bolt...

The only thing wrong with the GTO is the weight. But it really isn't that heavy.

Quick Reply: Going from F-body to GTO?