Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Going from F-body to GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSix
At least the rear isn't as weak as the 10 bolt...

The only thing wrong with the GTO is the weight. But it really isn't that heavy.

I agree....it isn't THAT bad....

Mine is down to 3600 pounds even (w/o driver, was 3690 stock) with just minor weight reduction (lightweight skid plate, lighter wheels, pulled Y-brace and a few other things). It's still heavy, but it's not the 4000 pound curb weight all the haters make it out to be.

An f-body with a 12-bolt or 9" rear and a heavy driver wouldn't have much of a weight advantage at all....

Last edited by DeepBlueZ; 02-13-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

theres no comparison, better handling, better build, similiar performance....just do it.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

The only thing I miss about my Camaro is the lope of the cam. My GTO is better in every other respect. That's not to say it's faster. It isn't. But my Camaro had h/c, headers, and 4.10s. It just wasn't reliable or all-weather friendly.

Not to bash the people that say going to the GTO would be too much of a drop in power, but I have to point something out. You had, or have, made some pretty extensive mods to get to that point. Your '02 SS didn't come with 700 HP. Heads/cam combos are the same price for GTOs as they are for F-bods. Same with clutches. Plus we already have updated clutch hydraulics and the LS6 intake (for you pre-'01 guys).

It's just when you get into parts that are exclusive to the GTO that it gets more expensive. The GMM shifter looks the same as the Pro 5.0 but it has a different shaft. It's $120 higher. Gears, halfshafts, and axle stubs are high. Comparing Kooks headers with cats, the GTO version is actually cheaper.

I have no regrets trading the Camaro for the GTO. It's built much better, has a killer interior and handles a lot better around town and on the highway (even before I added the Pedders Track II package). Plus there are the creature comforts: in-dash CD changer, an available OEM Bluetooth kit, comfy seats...
Old 02-14-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jake99SS
I have no regrets trading the Camaro for the GTO. It's built much better, has a killer interior and handles a lot better around town and on the highway (even before I added the Pedders Track II package). Plus there are the creature comforts: in-dash CD changer, an available OEM Bluetooth kit, comfy seats...
...windows that roll up and down within a few seconds, doesnt rattle its *** off...plus not having a live axle really makes a difference in handling...especially when going over a broken surface...i spent 2 hours in my buddies 00 z28 this weekend and it was the most uncomfortable 2 hours ive spent in a car in a long time...lets just say i was glad to be back in my GTO not to say that every F-bod is a rattle box but that window thing drives me crazy!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

The window thing was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as my Camaro was concerned. After a summer of getting engine and wiring problems halfway sorted out, the driver's side window motor died. I got rid of the car within two weeks.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:12 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a GTO and two F-bodies, and the GTO is definitely the one I love driving the most. I'd much rather daily drive it than the 'Birds.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake99SS
The window thing was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as my Camaro was concerned. After a summer of getting engine and wiring problems halfway sorted out, the driver's side window motor died. I got rid of the car within two weeks.

tell me about it...between my two Z28s, i ordered 3 new window motors...
Old 02-18-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by damon_Z
Sure, they run quicker than the M6's in the quarter mile, but they're heavy as hell and are far from being the ideal drag car--not to mention that the LS2 GTO's have a heat soak issue.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

+1. If you want a full out race car halfway on the cheap, the GTO isn't your automobile. Find a no-option Z28 or an old Fox-body Mustang and have at it.

Quick Reply: Going from F-body to GTO?