Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

500rwhp GTO

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FIVE-O
I as well have several friends making ubergobs of hp that have broken numerous rear end parts. There was a reason Ford stopped putting IRS in the Cobras.....IRS + lots of hp = no traction and lots of broken parts.

How about maybe they (Ford) stopped using it in their cars for cost reasons? If they are inferior in terms of HP, why then is it that the 06' Z06 and the Ford GT both have IRS? Also, how is it that 90% of the other fast and stock production sports cars, that are FASTER than our GTOs and Cobras are IRS Cars? Yes, they cost more to purchase, and even more to mod, but they are IRS cars from the factory.

You think, just maybe they build better IRS units than Ford and GM or is it that they are willing to charge the buyer what it costs to build a good IRS, or maybe they found it to be better, because at the prices they charge for these cars they can definitely put 9" and 10" SRA rear ends in these cars. Good for thouhgt.

Are Lambos, Ferraris, Mercs (AMG series), BMWs (M Series), even the last Generation Supra TT (when Modded), RUF Porsches etc cars generally faster than most of our dear Goats and LSx Cars? Damn right they are. Are they IRS cars? Damn right they are. Do they make more HP, in stock form and have way less wheel hop issues than we have? Yep, they do. I gues you get my drift.

I have yet to see a technical reason why the IRS is inferior to SRA (Solid Rear Axle) cars as more HP is generated at the wheel. I believe it is more a myth issue that one that can be technically substantiated.

Just my 2 cents
Old 12-29-2006, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

And I as well have not seen any tehcnical data to prove IRS is superior to SRA. What Im saying here is...the GTO IRS sux compared to those other cars....Cobra, Ferraris, Lambos. No contest. Sure its not bad but it aint good either. Especially for what most GTO owners want to do.....drag race. All I know is what I heard from some Cobra owners...they hated the IRS...and that was part reason Ford went back to SRA. Hell, we all know Ford loves to cut costs....sometimes in the wrong places. I believe/know that once you reach a certain point with extreme modification and hp...things are going to break. Its a given. I just belive that our IRS, or better put, the design of the rear suspension is not durable enough to handle the load when putting down 500 rwhp +.
Again, with some modification to the IRS....it can be good. But its something I feel needs to be done to get the best performance.
And Smitty, my hats off to ya....cause I still get wheel hop out the azz with drag bags.

Last edited by FIVE-O; 12-29-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And Smitty, my hats off to ya....cause I still get wheel hop out the azz with drag bags.

the only time i catch any wheel hop now is when i'm cutting a 1.5X 60'.

hops pretty hard for a second.... but it stay in it cause i really dont care.

lol

I have an auto too, so it's quite a bit easier to launch than your M6.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

I hope 550rwhp is enough to put the '05 GTO into at least the 11 sec, if not I'm going to be very very very upset with APS. Gen TT is saying that there kit has gone 10 sec in stock form 6 speed cars.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by patisi
How about maybe they (Ford) stopped using it in their cars for cost reasons? If they are inferior in terms of HP, why then is it that the 06' Z06 and the Ford GT both have IRS? Also, how is it that 90% of the other fast and stock production sports cars, that are FASTER than our GTOs and Cobras are IRS Cars? Yes, they cost more to purchase, and even more to mod, but they are IRS cars from the factory.

You think, just maybe they build better IRS units than Ford and GM or is it that they are willing to charge the buyer what it costs to build a good IRS, or maybe they found it to be better, because at the prices they charge for these cars they can definitely put 9" and 10" SRA rear ends in these cars. Good for thouhgt.

Are Lambos, Ferraris, Mercs (AMG series), BMWs (M Series), even the last Generation Supra TT (when Modded), RUF Porsches etc cars generally faster than most of our dear Goats and LSx Cars? Damn right they are. Are they IRS cars? Damn right they are. Do they make more HP, in stock form and have way less wheel hop issues than we have? Yep, they do. I gues you get my drift.

I have yet to see a technical reason why the IRS is inferior to SRA (Solid Rear Axle) cars as more HP is generated at the wheel. I believe it is more a myth issue that one that can be technically substantiated.

Just my 2 cents
Well I will say this I have yet to see a pro mod or any serious hp cars use IRS all of them use SRA. Think about it drag racing and nascar use SRA, serious hp applications. So I'm not saying that IRS can't be made to handle alot of power, but I do think it is hp limited. IRS would not live .1 of a sec in a top fuel dragster.

Now back to the topic

Last edited by DaGreightOne; 01-01-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Smitty's05gto
the only time i catch any wheel hop now is when i'm cutting a 1.5X 60'.

hops pretty hard for a second.... but it stay in it cause i really dont care.

lol

I have an auto too, so it's quite a bit easier to launch than your M6.
This is true.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DaGreightOne
Well I will say this I have yet to see a pro mod or any serious hp cars use IRS all of them use SRA. Think about it drag racing and nascar use SRA, serious hp applications. So I'm not saying that IRS can't be made to handle alot of power, but I do think it is hp limited. IRS would not live .1 of a sec in a top fuel dragster. Now back to the topic
DaGreightOne, if I was off topic, I apologize. And I cannot dispute your statement about serious HP being SRA, since I do not know a whole lot about the Nascar or what you mean by serious HP applications. I also not sure what the threshold is for the definition of serious HP applications. But I will say that I consider serious HP to be 500 HP and upwards in today's production cars. I am not talking about Mods after the purchase. I mean of the show room floor . Now with this definiton, of the three US Car mfg, I believe Ford is the only one today that has an SRA in the Sheby, Dodge Viper and Chevy Z06 are IRS cars. In the Foreign markets they are most likely all IRS cars by a large percentage. I

http://www.automotoportal.com/articl...s_Fastest_Cars

If you look at the second list below which may be more of what you are referring to in terms of the drag strip,

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm

You will notice that there is about and 10:1 Ratio of IRS to SRA cars even at the strip, from the test results of the car mags. Now, I know some will say they do not trust car mags, and that they can't drive etc. That may be true some of the time not all the time. Also, they get to drive 90% of the cars the rest of us will never drive. Finally, if the mag drivers are bad, they are bad across the board, meaning for both US and foreign cars.

Looking carefully at the cars that are below 13.0 Sec in 1/4 Mile, which I consider good drag numbers, the IRS cars outnumber the SRA Cars.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by patisi
DaGreightOne, if I was off topic, I apologize. And I cannot dispute your statement about serious HP being SRA, since I do not know a whole lot about the Nascar or what you mean by serious HP applications. I also not sure what the threshold is for the definition of serious HP applications. But I will say that I consider serious HP to be 500 HP and upwards in today's production cars. I am not talking about Mods after the purchase. I mean of the show room floor . Now with this definiton, of the three US Car mfg, I believe Ford is the only one today that has an SRA in the Sheby, Dodge Viper and Chevy Z06 are IRS cars. In the Foreign markets they are most likely all IRS cars by a large percentage. I

http://www.automotoportal.com/articl...s_Fastest_Cars

If you look at the second list below which may be more of what you are referring to in terms of the drag strip,

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm

You will notice that there is about and 10:1 Ratio of IRS to SRA cars even at the strip, from the test results of the car mags. Now, I know some will say they do not trust car mags, and that they can't drive etc. That may be true some of the time not all the time. Also, they get to drive 90% of the cars the rest of us will never drive. Finally, if the mag drivers are bad, they are bad across the board, meaning for both US and foreign cars.

Looking carefully at the cars that are below 13.0 Sec in 1/4 Mile, which I consider good drag numbers, the IRS cars outnumber the SRA Cars.
I concor. I was under the impression that you were saying that IRS was stronger than SRA in any type of application. However, I will agree that IRS can be strong enough in some applications but as the HP grows the lifespan of IRS diminishes.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Gee, this was what I said to begin with.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

You guys are making my head hurt.

IRS, by definition, is not really HP limited - it's the *design* (like Ford in the Cobras) of a specific IRS system that can be the weak link more often. There can be no arguing that a SRA is a simpler design and harder to mess up with poor engineering than IRS, and I think this plays into the equation.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

....IRS + lots of hp = no traction and lots of broken parts.
nah thats only if you bought the wrong tranny

I've gone 11.53@116 on a 1.51 60' with 470rwhp and 4000lb race weight

also done 10.97@125mph on a 1.61 60' with a 100shot on top of the 470rwhp, but it was also in 3000+ DA in the middle of July here in florida. So it would have been a little better in the better weather.

oh yeah and I have 145+passes with stock tranny, stock driveshaft, stock halfshafts, stock stub axles, stock differential. NO BREAKAGE

All I have suspension wise is some Koni rear shocks, king springs and Drag bags in the springs to reduce squat. All on a 275/50/15 MT drag radial.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Dbluegoat]nah thats only if you bought the wrong tranny

Yeah, yeah....I know...I just had to buy the 6 speed
Auto is definately the way to go for the strip......but there is just something about that make it more..........old school muscle car-ish.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Got this from : http://www.honda-tech.com/zeroforum/11
,On a kill thread titled : turbocharged teg vs pontiac G6 ,

Any body care to respond to this Deuchebag and keep us updated. I own a WS6 so it's not my fight but it really rubbed me the wrong way that he would say what he said about the Gto,G6 owners.

his user id is: RC000E
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not bad.....glad you forced him to recognize. Those GTO, G6, challenger, etc owners need to get more of this treatment. I really have little tolerance for those cars.
PA winter has been nice so far....where in pa are you about?

Miss my H22 hatch....definitely miss my CRX
Current ownership:

1995 Accord EX: JDM H22, Clutchmaster clutch/flywheel, H&R 1 piece coilovers, DC front and rear strut braces, braided brake lines, 17" Racing Harts, soon to be for sale

1993 Del Sol Si: Project thread underway...http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1853938

--Lincoln TIG, ecu chipping, custom manifolds, Crome/Turbo Edit RTP, carbon overlays/cutom parts, engine building, head porting, more--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

ET in SIG. Haven't done a pass yet with the CAM and Alky setup yet. More to come this spring.

Last edited by mdmike; 01-17-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 500rwhp GTO