Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

front liscense plate holder removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007 | 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Default front liscense plate holder removal

Hey guys, just had a quick question. I want to remove the front liscense plate holder but it looks like its rivited onto the bumper. Any idea how to get it off? I thought about just drilling it but wasn't sure if there was an easier way. Any thoughts? Just figured id ask before I took the drill to the car.

Thanks.

J
Old 02-22-2007 | 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

I was extremely happy to see that the dealer didn't drill my bumper for a plate when I picked the car up. They just threw the front plate holder in the trunk. When I get my camera back later tonight...if you need it, I'll take pics of the assembly/rivets whatever it is, so you can see what you're working with.
Old 02-22-2007 | 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

that would be great. thanks man. my last car was just 2 little screws. needless to say i was dissapointed to see a big fat rivit in the middle of the holder.
Old 02-22-2007 | 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine just came with a license plate holder that gripped around the front bottom grille.
Old 02-22-2007 | 06:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sweetness
Mine just came with a license plate holder that gripped around the front bottom grille.
You can mount the stock one like that too. You just flip it over.
Old 02-22-2007 | 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

really?
Old 02-24-2007 | 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jamesSS
that would be great. thanks man. my last car was just 2 little screws. needless to say i was dissapointed to see a big fat rivit in the middle of the holder.
I still haven't gotten my camera back, but the setup that came on my 06 is a bracket that grips under the bumper, then has 3 screws that drill into the front of the bumper. I didn't see anything with a big rivet.
Old 02-24-2007 | 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

mine has one big plastic rivit in the middle and a brace on the bottom side by the grill i think. i will take a pic in the morning after i dig it out of the foot of snow im soposed to get tonight.
Old 02-25-2007 | 01:42 AM
Staging Lane

James, be careful. I suspect that if you get the front license plate holder off, you are going to be left with holes in the front bumper. It sucks that, if you do not need a front license plate in WI that the dealer screwed up your front bumper cover.

-K
Old 02-25-2007 | 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

i dont mind the holes. i can plug them up and have it painted over this summer if i get a new hood. there wont be a problem with the holes being in there, other than it looks ugly right? wisconsin isnt a 2 plate state i believe. i have never had any police trouble with my other two cars having no front plate; 85 bird'(3 years), and on my nissan(5 years). i believe the dealer got it as a trade in from an IL man(thus the front plate).

here is the holder

here is the rivit

picture quality sucks, its from my cell phone. but i think you can see it.

so, do i just drill it and see what happens?
Old 02-26-2007 | 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

James, WI is a 2 plate state, but most cops dont care. I just drilled mine out and was left with 5 holes. The 3 rivets you see right there are the bigger ones. Here's a couple pics of all 5.

Old 02-26-2007 | 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Just let an idiot run a yeild sign in front of you...... thats how mine got taken off!
Old 02-26-2007 | 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=ShaneD_06GTO]James, WI is a 2 plate state, but most cops dont care. I just drilled mine out and was left with 5 holes. The 3 rivets you see right there are the bigger ones. Here's a couple pics of all 5.
QUOTE]

damn, i didnt know that. i will probably do it anyways. i can always take it to the dealer and have it put back on. he is pretty cool about things. thanks for the reply.
Old 02-26-2007 | 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

I dont know if this has been mentioned in this thread, but you can turn the holder upside down and attach it to the lower grille. You might want to ziptie it just in case though.
Old 02-26-2007 | 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ShaneD_06GTO
I dont know if this has been mentioned in this thread, but you can turn the holder upside down and attach it to the lower grille. You might want to ziptie it just in case though.

i dont plan on throwing it away just yet. the zip tie thing isnt a bad idea either. i may just throw both in the trunk for a month or two, just incase i get stopped, i can say i havent had time to put it on. then just clip the ties after i get home.
Old 02-27-2007 | 04:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ShaneD_06GTO
Yea thats what I said and also to the original guy. a new hood will nnot fix the holes in the bumper cover.
Old 02-27-2007 | 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by spd98
Yea thats what I said and also to the original guy. a new hood will nnot fix the holes in the bumper cover.

i know that. lol. but if i get a new hood, i will have the bumper and the hood painted at the same time.

Quick Reply: front liscense plate holder removal