Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat
View Poll Results: TURBO or SUPERCHARGER??
SUPERCHARGER
42.07%
TURBO
57.93%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

TURBO or SUPERCHARGER

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b15nut
Ok. Gauging from some posts here the turbo system is more expensive than the blowers but a basic STS kit is 4495 for our cars. Can anyone point me to a blower at that price? I am looking at both options right now. Not looking to get to 800hp but close to 600 is my goal.
I would do procharger, blower cam, and gears. (Assuming you have a tuff rear-end). Good stickies and a talented driver can net some incredibly low 1/4 mile times. Gears and linear power will be just as good as having an extra 75 ft'lbs tq at 2500-3000rpms. Plus prochargers are consistent w/ results and relatively easy to deal with until you get to 10+psi, where belt slipping might be an issue. 600 is attainable, although I wouldn't reccomend it on a stock block. Regardless, a blower cam, exhaust and blower will get you there. Plus, if you build a block later you can always up to an F1 unit, which is rediculous.

You could have a supercharger + drivetrain mods and still be cheaper than a TT setup. Personally, I feel like huge amounts of torque in the low-end is helpless with a street GTO.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Agree with torque assessment; useless unless you can stick it.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what do they call it.....oh yeah, "twin-charge" it! super& turbo. supercharger boost leads into the turbo boost so its boost all the time! jk...

this really is a simple debate. turbo if ya got the $$, s/c if you dont.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
what do they call it.....oh yeah, "twin-charge" it! super& turbo. supercharger boost leads into the turbo boost so its boost all the time! jk...
Compound boosting. Not worth it.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

I have an STS and I installed it in my driveway, the car puts down 640rwhp and runs 10.3 at 131. Now the bad news. The kit regardless what you choose is only the beginning and as I always say the cheapest part. As soon as it is put together everyone wants more and that is where the problems start. While you read about stock blocks and lots of power just bolt it on and drive it does not work out that way for most. While everyone that is selling it will show you dyno charts and rest, unless they are installing it I question the results. Realize these engines need to be tuned because once you have that boost pistons melt fast. So while you are deciding, decide really what you want out of it. If you want cool and a little kick in the *** the maggie fits that to a tee. You want much more you need to consider the fuel system, the transmission and drive line and if you are going to the track a roll bar and it goes on and on. While my car has finally come together it has been many set backs to get here.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DadsYellowGoat
I have an STS and I installed it in my driveway, the car puts down 640rwhp and runs 10.3 at 131. Now the bad news. The kit regardless what you choose is only the beginning and as I always say the cheapest part. As soon as it is put together everyone wants more and that is where the problems start. While you read about stock blocks and lots of power just bolt it on and drive it does not work out that way for most. While everyone that is selling it will show you dyno charts and rest, unless they are installing it I question the results. Realize these engines need to be tuned because once you have that boost pistons melt fast. So while you are deciding, decide really what you want out of it. If you want cool and a little kick in the *** the maggie fits that to a tee. You want much more you need to consider the fuel system, the transmission and drive line and if you are going to the track a roll bar and it goes on and on. While my car has finally come together it has been many set backs to get here.
+1 on that.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:29 PM

Why not a twin charger.. vortech style supercharger and a turbo it's not nearly as hard to do the right way as people think.. just look at it this way your v8 is 2 I4 engines with the same air supply.. the first one i did was on a 300zx with the 2 throttle bodies which was an easy build.. the second one i'm working on right now but thats my secret project

Last edited by GT06; 09-08-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:13 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this 05 GTO still on a stock block, that we have an ATI ProCharger D-1SC installed on. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=46

Here is one of his timeslips. Keep in mind this is a stick, the car would probably be even faster with an automatic and a higher stall converter. Bob
Old 10-11-2008, 02:48 PM

i think a turbo is wayyyy better its true that it runs about the same when ur just regular driving. but the turbo is just a kick in the pants when u floor it i am about to twin turbo mine with 2 t4 turbos i cant wait.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I personally am running a hybrid setup with one turbo tied into one bank of cylinders only, one rotrex supercharger and a kenne belle 2.8 with a nitrous direct port in the snout. It's a stock block LS4, and puts out 1200 to the tire on the stock bottom end.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Other than fitment issues as one of the 'early adopters' of the GenTT kit, the baby twins are great as I love the instantaneous boost. I am pondering whether or not I'm going to do some things to the G8, and am quite interested in the KB solution being developed.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Im kind of curious now that there is going to be a twin screw how peoples opinions will differ?..
Old 01-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

turbo all the way more efficent
Old 01-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

turbo all the way more efficent
Old 01-26-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'ma steal this threaad! Its now going to the CST-V forum!!! sorry! By the way Big horse power cars should go Turbo because you ALREADY have enough Tq. to make up for turbo lag, and It would be constant power...

Quick Reply: TURBO or SUPERCHARGER