Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat
View Poll Results: TURBO or SUPERCHARGER??
SUPERCHARGER
42.07%
TURBO
57.93%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

TURBO or SUPERCHARGER

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBO or SUPERCHARGER

Lets have you opinon's (a debate) on this one,

TURBO or SUPERCHARGER and WHY?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Turbo is cost isnt an issue, more power, more efficent if the kit is designed correctly, no drag on the motor.

Supercharger is there is a budget in mind. makes decent power, causes a loss in horsepower acually due to drag on the front of the engine. but it can be had for cheaper and are easier to tune due to a wider consumer use.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Teh Wicked
Turbo is cost isnt an issue, more power, more efficent if the kit is designed correctly, no drag on the motor.

Supercharger is there is a budget in mind. makes decent power, causes a loss in horsepower acually due to drag on the front of the engine. but it can be had for cheaper and are easier to tune due to a wider consumer use.
agreed..if u have rolls of money, go TURBO.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Supercharger Charger works fine for me. Also are there any Turbos out there for our cars that are CARB legal? Not that it matters for most folks but just wondering.

Last edited by mdmike; 02-26-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Meego is in the UAE so I don't think CARB anything applies.

I would go turbo.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

As far as CARB legal the STS setup is as delivered. Saying that now that I have much larger injectors additional fuel, killer Cartek cam and tune I really doubt it. As far as preference that is a personal thing. At the power levels we all talk about both will supply what you are looking for case in point. I am putting out basically the same power at the wheels as "mdmike". The reason I went with the STS I just felt the new gen gto should have a turbo sort of in your face "rice guys" you want to see power add some displacement to that hair dryer. I would really doubt anyone with a supercharger would say they are sorry they have it just as I am happy with my turbocharger. It is not something you take on lightly on just a whim. The expense is much greater then just the kit.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:37 AM
Teching In

I agree with all the turbo guys for thier reasons, plus, a turbo car will drive almost identical to stock until you put it under load with some good throttle and the boost comes up. normal driving around town will still pull vacuum.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DadsYellowGoat
As far as CARB legal the STS setup is as delivered. Saying that now that I have much larger injectors additional fuel, killer Cartek cam and tune I really doubt it. As far as preference that is a personal thing. At the power levels we all talk about both will supply what you are looking for case in point. I am putting out basically the same power at the wheels as "mdmike". The reason I went with the STS I just felt the new gen gto should have a turbo sort of in your face "rice guys" you want to see power add some displacement to that hair dryer. I would really doubt anyone with a supercharger would say they are sorry they have it just as I am happy with my turbocharger. It is not something you take on lightly on just a whim. The expense is much greater then just the kit.
+1 your right on the money.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Its personal preference.... Turbo seems to cost more, but there seems to be alot more flexibility with a turbo setup, but you pay an *** load either way if its done right w/ the right parts. Dont cut corners or you'll pay for it in the long run no doubt.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Meego
Lets have you opinon's (a debate) on this one,

TURBO or SUPERCHARGER and WHY?
Intercooled Twin turbo..............no drive belt issues with turbos and the power/torque delivery under the curve is much stronger than any centrifugal type Supercharger.

Peter
Old 02-28-2007, 09:10 AM
24v
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by peter@aps
Intercooled Twin turbo..............no drive belt issues with turbos and the power/torque delivery under the curve is much stronger than any centrifugal type Supercharger.

Peter
I agree that the APS kit is very nice. However, for the average joe bolting it up in his backyard, a Maggie kit is a much easier solution.
However, for the above average guy, the TT kit seems the way to go.
If I did not have a 122, I would be sending you guys some hard earned greenbacks.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Launching!

i bet a sts setup is just as easy to install

i have a sts, i went with a turbo because of bigger # over the maggie
Old 02-28-2007, 10:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 24v
I agree that the APS kit is very nice.
Thanks for those kind words and the I've always thought that the maggie is profesionally packaged FI product, all good. I'll admitt that I'm very biased towards twin turbocharging as imho it's a more efficient power adder though with that said if I was going with a SC and was happy with around 500 whp then maggie would be a great choice.

Originally Posted by 24v
However, for the average joe bolting it up in his backyard, a Maggie kit is a much easier solution.
I'm not so sure that the maggie is an easier install solution (maybe quicker though not easier imho) and from what I'm told pinning the crankshaft can be a bear of an install task whilst the engine is in the car. I guess either way you only do the power adder install once so I'd rather have more time in the install if this provides the desired end goal.

Peter
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

I can only speak about my personal experience with an STS. I installed it myself in my driveway. It can be done with normal tools if you work on your car you won't have any problem. Saying that I would think any of these kits can be installed in the driveway afterall the engineering has already been done. Now when it comes to the tune regardless of what kit or what Power Adder take it somewhere with experience with that type of mod. You would be amazed at how fast one of these babies can melt a piston.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

If you got th money buy the APS kit without a doubt... that a one animal of a kit for sure and from the loos of it they have spent alot of time developing it. I know adter I get some paid off my GTO I will be looking into one. Maybe after the next deployment I will have enough spare cash laying around to pick one up and take a day or 2 to install the sucker...

Turbo = Big grin, white knuckle driving...
Superchager = giggleing for the for couple months and then just a slight smile...
Old 03-01-2007, 09:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Teh Wicked
Turbo = Big grin, white knuckle driving...
Superchager = giggleing for the for couple months and then just a slight smile...
That made me chuckle.

Peter
Old 03-02-2007, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Nothing like the boost hiting from a turbo snail!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

The APS TT setup would be the way I would go if I had the money. Solid design which should give quick boost response, plenty of boost through redline and very expandable power as you desire later. The midrange on a turbo car will be considerably stronger giving a lot more grunt than most superchargers.

As a matter of fact, i've had a turbo and centrifugal supercharger on the same car before. (not at the same time) The turbo was a lot more kick in the pants feel and pulled like a raped rhino. The supercharger was a lot more linear "supercar" like. It felt very smooth acceleration like it could pull forever (damn near could) but wasnt quite the same to drive. Personaly, I liked the feel of the turbo but my Turbonetics turbocharger itself was faulty and they couldnt seem to fix it despite multiple attempts and lots of downtime. Thus I scrapped it as a whole and went with a Vortech kit that I got through a sponsorship.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

APS Twin turbo.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

hmmm... I guess i need to come and live in the States...

Quick Reply: TURBO or SUPERCHARGER