Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Exhaust/Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust/Headers

I just bought a 2004 GTO and have already ordered the Corsa Sport and was wondering what Headers/Mids to pair it with. Also what is the pro and cons of cats vs no cats. I also ordered the slp diablosport and look foreward to the tune.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go with Kooks. You wil be very happy with the fitment and quality. I have pared Kooks 1 7/8 LT's and catless mids with my Corsa sport. Such an awsome sound. I am taking it one step further with a cam very shortly.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kooks seem to be the one preferred type of headers for our cars, go catless if you have a smog guy.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Launching!

I have kooks with catless mids and a stock exhaust from the mids back. I like the sound. Now I need a tune
Old 07-09-2007, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Kooks, That is what I have heard, do I need to get them coated pros and cons of not doing so. Also If I go catless will that cause any problems. I am in Arkansas so no emissions.

Also which size Kooks, am i ok with the larger?? I may go supercharger or TT in a year or two.

I have the SLP Diablosport Tuner so I hope the 1 7/8 is ok.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Im running SLP headers. They had great fit and finish. Plus I didnt want to wait 2 months for the Kooks. Normaly they are on back order. If emmisions isnt a problem, id go catless, but with your current catback, its going to be loud. Unless your going with a supercharger or stroker later on, get the 1 3/4 LT's. Your going to loose low end power with the bigger 1 7/8. If your going with a turbo, depending on the set-up your getting, you may not want headers. If you get anything up front(single or twin turbo), your headers get replaced anyways, and if your going STS, you may loose the heat(you can wrap the pipes though). Some guys put the stock manifolds back on for the rear mount system. Either way, get a sound clip when done. I almost bought that catback, but found mine on sale cheaper.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Launching!

just about any brand for the GTO is good...I have pacesetter....need to work a bit to get them to fit good,but for the price they are unbeatable
Old 07-09-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

kooks and catless mids with the corsa sport is loud and sounds oh so mean. you really have to look around when u want to hit wot so you dont get hit with one of those mean 1200 dollar exaust tickets.

go with kooks you wont be unsatisfied even though it will take u around a month to get them in my case it was almost 2.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jamesSS
Im running SLP headers. They had great fit and finish. Plus I didnt want to wait 2 months for the Kooks. Normaly they are on back order. If emmisions isnt a problem, id go catless, but with your current catback, its going to be loud. Unless your going with a supercharger or stroker later on, get the 1 3/4 LT's. Your going to loose low end power with the bigger 1 7/8. If your going with a turbo, depending on the set-up your getting, you may not want headers. If you get anything up front(single or twin turbo), your headers get replaced anyways, and if your going STS, you may loose the heat(you can wrap the pipes though). Some guys put the stock manifolds back on for the rear mount system. Either way, get a sound clip when done. I almost bought that catback, but found mine on sale cheaper.
Yeah I am torn between the Cost of Pacesetters or the Reliability of Kooks. I have heard the setup is really mean at WOT. Hopefully as I drive around my town at low speeds its not to noticeable. WOT on the Highway is where its at. I got the Corsa Sport from an online dealer associated with LS1GTO.com for $550 shipped. I have not found that deal anywhere else and most places wanted 800 With my SLP Diablo can I not tune well enough for the 1 7/8?? I have been waiting on Maryland Speed to contact me about choosing the headers. My wife would prefer I go with the 1 3/4 so I dont get the Maggie later. She doesnt understand the need for speed.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TKO52
kooks and catless mids with the corsa sport is loud and sounds oh so mean. you really have to look around when u want to hit wot so you dont get hit with one of those mean 1200 dollar exaust tickets.

go with kooks you wont be unsatisfied even though it will take u around a month to get them in my case it was almost 2.
Do I need to get the headers coated?? With all the money I am spending I would like to save a little. I go through cars so quickly I doubt I will have the particular goat longer than 3 yrs.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Kooks. The stainless is beautiful so no need to get the coated in my opinion.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jamesSS

I have looked at SLP as well, read a good write up on them. What about SW LT's with Mids? They are priced at $849 with Mids While the Kooks are $1076 with mids non coated.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ArklaTexan
I have looked at SLP as well, read a good write up on them. What about SW LT's with Mids? They are priced at $849 with Mids While the Kooks are $1076 with mids non coated.
I have heard mixed things about SW headers. Some said they had some fitment issues, while others just get lucky. Just about any header will perform with-in 3 HP or so of the competition. So you really should just pick on finish(does it have to hold up to winter salt, will it turn colors, rust) and fitment of the piece. Some have been able to swap the SLP headers from the top, while with the Kooks, your going to have to install from the bottom. I would stay away from the pacesetters. IMO, they seem to hit-and-miss for my tastes. My SLP headers fit great, look sharpe, and sound even better.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Well the search has come to an end. Earlier this afternoon I got a phone call from Brandon @ Maryland Speed who made me too good of a deal to pass up. My new setup will be KOOKS 1 7/8 LT Headers with KOOKS Catless Mids teamed with My new CORSA SPORT. Thanks everyone for the help and advise. Now I just hope that it is Loud but not TOO LOUD.

Daniel
Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It will be very loud, but you made a great choice.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ArklaTexan
Well the search has come to an end. Earlier this afternoon I got a phone call from Brandon @ Maryland Speed who made me too good of a deal to pass up. My new setup will be KOOKS 1 7/8 LT Headers with KOOKS Catless Mids teamed with My new CORSA SPORT. Thanks everyone for the help and advise. Now I just hope that it is Loud but not TOO LOUD.

Daniel

oh its loud man. i had to drive next to a state trooper today and he even rolled down his window. talk about nervous didnt even take it above 1500 rpm lol
Old 07-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TKO52

damn 1200 bucks?!?!?!?! south carolina must hate modified exhuasts lol
Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Launching!

kurts kooks+corsa sport is ear bleeding loud,mine are still ringing
Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Teching In

I have Stainless Works LT catless and JBA exhaust. It fit well and sounds good!!! Price was right $859.90 shipped ordered through Maryland Speed

[B]2005 GTO Black on Red 18" Wheels M6 1 of 124

SLP Predator Tune
160 t-stat
JBA wires
NGK Iridium
Stainless Works LT without cats
k&n CAI
3 1/3 aluminum driveshaft
Old 07-11-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speeddemongto
kurts kooks+corsa sport is ear bleeding loud,mine are still ringing
If it is that loud, will I be albe to add a resonator or another small muffler to quiet it a bit. I don't mind it being loud at WOT but not with gentle cruising.

Otherwise my wife will kill me

Quick Reply: Exhaust/Headers