11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gto body kit ***** !!!!

http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica...5.7.aspx?cat=5
Old 12-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radkon
There was a company making the RA6 (Ram Air 6) GTO but I'm not sure if they still are and I'm pretty sure you had to buy the whole car from them. Not a kit. Check out ls1gto.com for specifics.
they make a kit for it but it's $6k
Old 12-12-2007, 08:35 AM

Styling aside, the LS2 will be the better car. The LS2 will be better in stock form and better take to each mod.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SixReasons
they make a kit for it but it's $6k
...and the install's about $6k as well.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

I have owned all three, The 06 is my Favorite by far...
Old 12-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Teching In

hay i have a 94Z right now and well I'm about to sell it for something newer. . and well i have 2 questions for you. .
the first is.. is this some type of body kit? or is it completely custom and would take crazy money to reproduce?
What's "crazy money" to you?? Others were correct; that is the RA-6 or "Woodward" GTO built by GM Performance as a styling exercise. Anthem Motorsports in Phoenix was commissioned by Mike White at Dublin Motor Sports to recreate the body, with the blessings of the designer. There is another "wide-body" kit recently created by Cars and Concepts out of Michigan. Both are prohibitively priced at around $14K-$16K for the body parts and then another $10K-$12K for refinishing. Look at around $30K-$35K not including the vehicle to get the look alone! Doesn't include the necessary larger wheel/tire combo, big brakes, etc.

and question 2 is.. do you think its worth getting the 6.0 over the 5.7? and other then HP why??
Again, your choice. I had the choice when buying mine and decided I could use the $5K savings to put into the '04 LS1 and GAIN MORE than the 50hp the LS2 offers, but that isn't the principle reason for getting an LS2 over the LS1. The -2 is a newer designed block with several advancements over the -1, the most obvious being the "drive-by-wire" throttle body. Bigger brakes, better exhaust, suspension, hoods w/scoops etc. can all be bought, so that wasn't important to me. It came down to $$$ and the LS1 having more aftermarket support initially over the LS2.

BTW, we have SEVERAL LS1's here in Nor Cal running in the high 10's w/bolts-on's. Making HP w/the small V8 isn't a problem....it's getting the rest of the platform to survive in that environment!!

--Tim
Old 12-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AshyLarry
No. Why pay $5k more for 50hp at the motor. I test drove an LS2 when my car was just tuned (by myself) and it was noticeably quicker/faster.
??? Which was? The LS2? I'm sure.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Teching In

....from GM HighTech Performance test of the 2005 GTO vs 2004:

*The 364-inch LS2's 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque is readily apparent compared to the LS1's 350/365 power rating

*The '05's bigger 12.6-inch front brakes are a huge improvement over the '04's 11.7-inch front rotors

*The regular '05's hood, rear fascia, and exhaust changes are much more attractive and aggressive than the '04 model's look

*Electronic throttle control is smoother and more precise than the throttle-cable LS1

*A revised traction-control system has no throttle "kick-back" and allows more wheel slip before intervening

*The driveshaft, ring-and-pinion, and CV joints were strengthened to better handle the LS2's power

*Wheelhop, which was a serious problem on '04 models, has been reduced significantly for '05 GTOs

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ure/index.html
Old 12-24-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd get an ls2 simply because a stroker crank will get you over 400 cubes, thats nothing to sneeze at
Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrPopular
I'd say go for the LS2 GTO... when I had mine (Completely stock) I raced an LS1 GTO that had intake, exhaust, and was tuned, and I pulled on him fairly hard (suprising!)
Thats really quite amazing since my LS1 with an intake, catback, and a tune pulled a ls2 with shorties to 100 by 3/4 length... tho he started taking over at that pointLOL. But either way you end up going your first mod's should be the GMM Ripshifter with a LS7 clutch... shifts are incredible and grabs like a homeless person holding Ripple!

Last edited by VB GOAT; 12-26-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Teching In

I own an 04 and have only driven an 04 so I couldn't tell you. Everyone is talking about better styling??? You get a different hood and rear bumper. Whats the point of the hood scoops their not even fuctional. The rear bumper does look better in my opinion. But if you had an 04 then both of those pieces can be had for cheap off of any # of websites. If you think about re-sale value then the 04 will win. It was the 1st and only model with the LS1 and there were less of them built than 05 & 06. Im sure if I had an 05 or 06 then I would be saying the same thing. If you can find a good deal on any of the 3 go with it.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jgos929
I own an 04 and have only driven an 04 so I couldn't tell you. Everyone is talking about better styling??? You get a different hood and rear bumper. Whats the point of the hood scoops their not even fuctional. The rear bumper does look better in my opinion. But if you had an 04 then both of those pieces can be had for cheap off of any # of websites. If you think about re-sale value then the 04 will win. It was the 1st and only model with the LS1 and there were less of them built than 05 & 06. Im sure if I had an 05 or 06 then I would be saying the same thing. If you can find a good deal on any of the 3 go with it.
According to the faq section of ls1gto.com, there were:

15,640 GTO's built in 2004;
11,069 GTO's built in 2005;
13,948 GTO's built in 2006

If a person bought an LS1 GTO over an LS2 GTO just to invest the money saved in mods, then that person better have that money already available. There's no way in hell I'm going to drive an already subdued-style car with a boring hood and rear bumper if I can't afford the exterior upgrades on day 1.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Function>Form
if you plan to modify it at all getting the 6.0is not worth it. and if your going to dd it with no modifications than if you want to opay 5k more for 50 more hp than thats fine. granted it comes with a bit stronger rear end with bigger brakes to slow these pigs down, and better body styling, but for dding most of that stuff is useless money.

i have 2 04's. 1 that is mostly stock, and the other im turning into my race car.

the one that is mostly stock has a k&n intake, and borla catback with mid pipes and beats stock 6.0's

I disagree. My buddy has an '05 sti with full bolt ons w/full tune and short shifter and I pulled him by 1 car with my stock '06 gto. He raced another yelllow '04 gto with intake and exhaust and put 2-3 cars on him. Some of the '04 are really underpowered IMO and I think the LS1 was a mistake to put in the gto because of its weight. The reason I'm saying this is because I see '04's on forums all the time putting down baselines of less then 300rwhp which is pathetic!
Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by redgoat420
I disagree. My buddy has an '05 sti with full bolt ons w/full tune and short shifter and I pulled him by 1 car with my stock '06 gto. He raced another yelllow '04 gto with intake and exhaust and put 2-3 cars on him. Some of the '04 are really underpowered IMO and I think the LS1 was a mistake to put in the gto because of its weight. The reason I'm saying this is because I see '04's on forums all the time putting down baselines of less then 300rwhp which is pathetic!
Some are

...Some aren't
Old 01-01-2008, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zer0psi
??? Which was? The LS2? I'm sure.
The LS2 felt like a turd.

I just did not feel like spending the extra 5k for the power. Sure there are other things that the 05/06's offer but I didnt feel like paying for bumpers, different font, and a button (I bought the bigger brakes for a good price).

For that price I have put a cam, nitrous, and suspension on my car.

Originally Posted by redgoat420
So the other guy was most likely a crappy driver. Most of the times I see for other GTO's are at least 14's be it ls1 or ls2. You get either car in the right hands and it will be different.

My LS1 put down 330 with an intake, mid pipes, and a catback, NO longtubes.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Function>Form
if you plan to modify it at all getting the 6.0is not worth it. and if your going to dd it with no modifications than if you want to opay 5k more for 50 more hp than thats fine. granted it comes with a bit stronger rear end with bigger brakes to slow these pigs down, and better body styling, but for dding most of that stuff is useless money.
Wow...how did I miss this post?

Let me just say, no. You said it yourself, the cars are pigs, and guess what the LS2 has that helps? Torque. I dont know if you've looked at a stock LS2 dyno graph vs. a stock LS1, and guess what? The LS2 has more horsepower and a shitload more torque. The better brakes for sure help, and styling is all subjective, but the LS2 is worth it. Stock it's way better IMO, and very responsive to mods, especially when you open up that stuffy LS2 intake.

But hey to each his own. No way I'd get two LS1's, maybe one as a DD, but no way two.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zer0psi
Wow...how did I miss this post?

Let me just say, no. You said it yourself, the cars are pigs, and guess what the LS2 has that helps? Torque. I dont know if you've looked at a stock LS2 dyno graph vs. a stock LS1, and guess what? The LS2 has more horsepower and a shitload more torque. The better brakes for sure help, and styling is all subjective, but the LS2 is worth it. Stock it's way better IMO, and very responsive to mods, especially when you open up that stuffy LS2 intake.

But hey to each his own. No way I'd get two LS1's, maybe one as a DD, but no way two.
So your car with mufflers put down less than 10 whp more than my car with intake, mid pipes and catback. glad i got the ls1

Last edited by AshyLarry; 01-02-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AshyLarry
So your car with mufflers put down less than 10 whp than my car with intake, mid pipes and catback. glad i got the ls1
And what's your torque?
I'd have to see it to believe it. An LS1 through an auto AND IRS, with stock manifolds putting down 347rwhp?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Wait, misread your misworded post. 327?
I'd like to see my car on that dyno if we wanna go apples for apples.

Plus, even with all those mods you still have 26 less ft-lbs. Another point not addressed.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:40 AM
wrp
9 Second Club

I'm only dynoing 465/402 with my LS1. But then I am only on the motor, no spray or FI. If I were to get an LS2, and I would like to have one for the aforementioned stroker capabilities, I would get a late 05 or 06 model. There were some oil consumption issues in some of the early 05 models, may not really be a problem but I'd rather be sure.

Quick Reply: all my GTo boyz let me talk to you for a min