Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

If you went from F-Body To GTO Come in here

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shinzon
whaaaaaa ? 1) low cost ? go try an get yourself a low milage SS and see what you pay, about the same as a GTO whosomever the 04's @15k.

Even when new the fbod was pushing low 30's fully dressed with SLP.

so i don't get what your saying...

2) Same League ??? They have basically the same motor, only real major diff is the IRS, and don't give me this bull of build quality,
The build quality is better, that is just a fact. I've had 3 F-Body's over the years and the goat is just built better, period.

Having owned both I will speak the fact that stock for stock- 00-02 FBody will outperform an 04 on all fronts. The seats are a bit more comfy in the GTO though, As far as an 05-06 GTO they will be close in acceleration, but the fbdoy will handle better with less body roll and sharper edges.
They handle about the same but with a completely different feel. The goat leans like crazy compared to an F-Body. As far as acceleration, even the LS1 will do extremely well against an F-Body. At least the M6 cars, A4 LS1's were dogs with stock tuning. Mine ran 13.25 which would have taken my buddies WS6 that I ran 13.3 in. Both cars were bone stock. Just depends on driver and conditions. But I can see the majority of wins towards the F-Body because of who is driving. LS2 cars should come out on top all things being equal. Comes down to a driver's race again. Brakes aren't as good either on the goat but my car seemed to handle and stop just as good as the F-Body's on the road course. The stock tires did start chunking though.

My biggest dislike with the GTO was the drivers position......In the Camaro I felt I was sitting in it, in the GTO I always felt I was sitting on top of it.

In the GTO I never liked the A pillar bieng sooooooo close to my head and felt that that thing would crush my skull if struck in the side.

GTO Backseats are nice but are usless unless you are under 4 foot,b/c you cannot get in and out of them. Go Try it.
Again, different cars. The F-Body is low on the ground, the goat is up in the air.

As far as the backseats, I had two over 6' tall dudes and both weighed over 300 lbs back there. We had over 1000 lbs of people in my car going to dinner at one the F-Body Events in Indy. They were extremely comfy and had plenty of room. It was difficult getting in and out though, but they didn't complain at all. And the car didn't rub anywhere Try doing that with an F-Body!

Air Scoops for show, non functional, kinda o downer.

lack of Gauges, strut rub, eats tires worse than any other car I had.
Scoops for show, just like the original GTO. None of them were functional either but this car seemed to get flack for it and the old one didn't.

Lack of gauges did suck. Mine doesn't rub, tires had over half the tread on them when I sold them, 15K miles. Even all the way across.

I spent three plus years in a GTO, and it is a fine car. But it is not in any league of it's own man. The GTO is a bit more refined on the inside but not all that much. Each Car brings it own special something to the table and for my tastes the Camaro has a better drivers feel to it. I liked my GTO when I had it, But I love my Camaro z28 SS.
The goat is definitely a lot more refined than any F-Body. It should, it wasn't built on that old of a platform. 10 year platform vs 20 year platform.

I do miss driving an F-Body, it was different than any car I've owned. But it was much harsher and primitive, IMO.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can dig it Rob, I can tell you that you are in the rare low 13's club with a stock 04, I have seen many many run and they struggle to break into the 13's.

My stock z28 ran 13.45 @ etown
My GTO ran ran 13.91 @ etown

The common knowledge is that 1 tenth = @ 100lbs, and the IRS does eat more HP for drivetrain loss, so figure the GTO is 400 plus lbs more plus the IRS and it is right where it should be.

Anyways no need to keep rehashing this old debate that should be put down for now and forever.IMP Both are great cars. I have logged 3-4 years in both. But now I am just soooooo happy to be back with the SS. Just my choice. Anyone who is interested in both needs to test drive them both and decide for themselves, which is best for them.

On a side note:

I am happy to see people actually defending the GTO now, When I had mine 4 years ago I was the only one. Cavalier comments, Porker, not a real GTO comments were bountiful. I am glad to see these cars got or seem to begin to get their respect.

btw - Harsher and Primitive though, seems like you may have a bit of bias in yah, None the less, the 04 GTO was neat, but it never excited me like my Z28 did or SS does now.

Last edited by shinzon; 12-23-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:08 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I never got rid of my F-bodies... I just added a GTO. I don't like it any more than my F-bodies... it's just a better daily driver. In every other aspect, I'd prefer the F-bodies.

And since I still have 2 F-bodies, I don't miss them.

So I dunno if I can make up a list.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

We added an 05 Impulse Blue GTO to our lot.

M6 GTO stock tune sucks. Installed a 160 stat and brought car to Futral Motorsports and LOOK OUT. What a wake up call. Best so far is 13.2. I know with some new drag radials it will dip a little lower.

Back seats are great. Very roomy compared to an f car. I sat in them once and I'm sure they will never be used again.

I'm not crazy about the paint finish. It seems to scratch easy like if clear coat isn't as thick as the other cars we own.

Car is excellent for handeling on roads and auto x

Wheel hop sucks, but with the SLP adjustable rear sway bar and drag radials it is gone. We still have drag bags to install.

Do I like the GTO more than the SS vert, Firehawk or Formula we have? HELL NO!! A GTO shouldn't be compared to an Fcar nor should an Fcar be compared to a GTO. They have always been different cars since day 1. personally I can't see spending money on the GTO the way I do on the Formula for Drag racing. The Formula is just badazz and I don't think i would ever see the launches and times in the GTO that the Formula produces.

Pontiac did exactly what I expected them to do with the 05 GTO. It looks like a modern day pontiac.

Last edited by LorcinLs1; 12-23-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:23 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

btw - Harsher and Primitive though, seems like you may have a bit of bias in yah, None the less, the 04 GTO was neat, but it never excited me like my Z28 did or SS does now.
Not at all. I really liked my WS6 and TTA for the ride it had. But compared to the goat, it was harsher and primitive. You felt everything in the road compared to the goat. The rear doesn't hop around bumps on turns either.

Either way, I liked all the F-Body's I've owned over the years. Would buy them all back if given the opportunity also. Had lots of fun with them.

I can definitely see the "unexcited" feel. But I think its a perceptive thing. I thought mine was slow as malasses when I first got it. But it was faster than the WS6 and only slighter slower than the TTA were when they were stock. I think its because its so smooth and some of the road feeling is lost making it seem to just loaf along.

So not biased, I like them all but for different reasons
Old 12-26-2007, 01:08 AM
Teching In

1- working in the engine - piece of cake
2- 6.0 lt engine 400Hp 400 Lb Torque
3- people stop me on the street, malls, car show to ask about the car (ask mi wife).
4- Aggressive engine sound.
5- with a pair of DR and a good launch you can hit the 12 seconds stock (check GTOls2 forum)
6- real 4 passenger car (back seat usable)
7- Low production car.
8- interiors and Gages
9- You can fill the torque all the time (6.0 Lt) especially in low RPM
10 - Traction control and handling. Traction control in 2006 model allow to spin the wheels enough to fill that is a sport car with out loose the control (modified in 2006 models only- (make a search in the GTO 2006 improvements)

Ups! was 5 only
I do not had a F body but I consider a great car too.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kevyn
I've owned 3 LT1 f bodies and 3 LS1s (chevy & Pontiac), none were left stock. I now own an 04 GTO. I would never go back to one after owning the GTO for a week ...and I used to be quite proud of my f bodies.

The f body complaints.
1. Getting in & out of an f body sucked for me since I'm bigger than average.
2. The f body (especially camaro) leather was like cardboard compared to the GTO and the seats sucked.
3. I put window motors and or regulators in nearly every f body I owned.
4. Every t-top leaked a little sometime or another.
5. I lived in constant fear of breaking the 7.5" rear and even bought a 9" ford for my SS.
6. Oil consumption issues in 2 of the 3 LS1 f cars.
7. Rattles.
8. The ridiculous hump on the pass side floor. My 6'2" brother could barely sit in the pass seat and his knees were practically against his chest. He basically wouldn't get in my cars, it was an ongoing joke.
9. #8 spark plug but I eventually got good at getting to it.
10. Overall build and ride quality is better in a GTO.

Downside to the GTO

1. The door locks. Who puts power locks in a car and leaves out a power lock switch? Both my lock actuators have now been relaced (under waranty). The whole entry system and ignition lock is a joke... and not a funny one.
2. Lack of wheel and tire choices none of which are wide enough in the rear.
3. It seems like some mods are a tad more costly.
4. Lack of trunk space.
5. Strut rub. Why would you engineer a car with such a tight tolerance between the tire & strut then put such mushy suspension bushings on it. You should see the tire movement on hard braking with stock radius rod bushings.
6. The IRS could bum out drag racers but it doesn't bother me.
7. 2 piece driveshaft.
8. I don't like the radio much (in either car actually) but I'd rather have the wierdo Monsoon setup than this cars radio.
9. Power steering racks pretty much all leak. One out of 10 had a dry rack on the last suspension day I attended.
10. Carpet holders always broken.

All in all I find the shortcomings of the GTO easier to live with. It's a far superior car IMHO. I would never consider going back to an f body. Maybe that will change when the 5th gens are built.
1. Not a huge deal, just use the key fob to unlock
2. I have 19 x 19.5 inch rims with 275 rear tires just with rolling the fenders. That is plenty of tire under the back.
3. I agree here. Vendors charging more because the GTO is a more expensive car (similar to the corvette tax0
4. ITS A SPORTS CAR>>>WHO CARES?
5. No strut rub on my car although I have had aftermarket wheels since I bought it.
6. I prefer the irs to having the back end get nervous on bumpy roads like a live axle. Guess I'm not a drag racer.
7. EVERY CAR has its weak links in the drivetrain. Last time I checked there were 1 piece drive shafts available.
8. I haven't met a factory radio that I like (monsoon, Mach 460) or otherwise.. My double din navigation that fits in its place is much better.
9. Minor
10. Minor

Want to see the difference between an F-body and a GTO....Take apart the interior!. GTO interiors are SCREWED together not held together with cheap plastic clips. I suprises me the amount of complaints people have about the GTO. Mine has 52,0000 miles without any major issues. Contrary to popular belief my suspension is not shot. It still handles WAAAAAY better than the Mustang I had before and that is with the soft stock suspension. No car is perfect but this is as close to perfection compared to as your gonna get south of 30K. What especially kills me is people the post this laundry list of issues like ALL GTO's are lemons when I bet F-body's had their share of problems. What is a GTO?? Not the perfect car with its own quirks, NOT A DRAG RACER but a hell of a performance car value without a tupperware interior and the potential and parts available to run with cars costing twice as much while still being a civilized DD. If you want a race car...buy an F-bod. If you want to build a ridiculously fast sophisticated car that you want to drive every day buy a GTO.

Last edited by Boss Hog; 01-01-2008 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Boss Hog
1. Not a huge deal, just use the key fob to unlock
2. I have 19 x 19.5 inch rims with 275 rear tires just with rolling the fenders. That is plenty of tire under the back.
3. I agree here. Vendors charging more because the GTO is a more expensive car (similar to the corvette tax0
4. ITS A SPORTS CAR>>>WHO CARES?
5. No strut rub on my car although I have had aftermarket wheels since I bought it.
6. I prefer the irs to having the back end get nervous on bumpy roads like a live axle. Guess I'm not a drag racer.
7. EVERY CAR has its weak links in the drivetrain. Last time I checked there were 1 piece drive shafts available.
8. I haven't met a factory radio that I like (monsoon, Mach 460) or otherwise.. My double din navigation that fits in its place is much better.
9. Minor
10. Minor

Want to see the difference between an F-body and a GTO....Take apart the interior!. GTO interiors are SCREWED together not held together with cheap plastic clips. I suprises me the amount of complaints people have about the GTO. Mine has 52,0000 miles without any major issues. Contrary to popular belief my suspension is not shot. It still handles WAAAAAY better than the Mustang I had before and that is with the soft stock suspension. No car is perfect but this is as close to perfection compared to as your gonna get south of 30K. What especially kills me is people the post this laundry list of issues like ALL GTO's are lemons when I bet F-body's had their share of problems. What is a GTO?? Not the perfect car with its own quirks, NOT A DRAG RACER but a hell of a performance car value without a tupperware interior and the potential and parts available to run with cars costing twice as much while still being a civilized DD. If you want a race car...buy an F-bod. If you want to build a ridiculously fast sophisticated car that you want to drive every day buy a GTO.
:Standing ovation:

Had a Mustang GT and two F-bodies before the goat.
Amen to the tupperware interior. Glad to start off the new year with a laugh.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:29 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

After just picking my 05 M6 up last weekend, here's my gripes...

Paint seems very easy to scratch and chip.
Seat motors are pretty slow.
Tiny trunk.
Floor mat clips break easily.

That's all I can think of so far. They are so minor that I don't even really care. If that's all I can complain about, then I think I've bought a very nice car. It has refinement for a daily driver that a F-Body lacks. Will a well driven LS1 F-body keep up or pull me? Sure will. I didn't buy this to have the fastest car. I bought it because it has a bunch of power and is a very refined daily driver.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Teching In

GTO Pros
1. much smoother ride, although the bird now has had a lot of suspension upgrades, the GTO still blows it away stock for stock for ride comfort
2. I have to practically "fall" into the fbody to get in. guy with a 95 vett rode in my car and said his vett was not that low. and that was before I lowered it 1.5"
3. more of a sleeper look. no longer revved at every light by ricers, though most domestic guys still know what it is and will throw a rev
4. engine bay seems better laid out/ easier to get to the back of the motor
5. loving the blue interior. Fbody passenger side f'n sucks.
6. I no longer have to take up 2 parking spaces to open the doors fully.

Fbody Pros
1. more aggressive looks if thats what you want.
2. T tops are awesome. AFAIK GTO's do not even have a sunroof option from the dealer (anyone have link to any aftermarket kits?)
3. I just fit a new in box 42" LCD TV in the rear hatch
4. hit my head most of the time getting in and out of the GTO. seats do not lower enough for my taste in the GTO but I am getting use to it.

V6 Fbody complaint is that most V6's didn't come with a limited slip differential. turns your DD into a lawn ornament in bad weather
Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chevy10
1- working in the engine - piece of cake
2- 6.0 lt engine 400Hp 400 Lb Torque
3- people stop me on the street, malls, car show to ask about the car (ask mi wife).
4- Aggressive engine sound.
5- with a pair of DR and a good launch you can hit the 12 seconds stock (check GTOls2 forum)
6- real 4 passenger car (back seat usable)
7- Low production car.
8- interiors and Gages
9- You can fill the torque all the time (6.0 Lt) especially in low RPM
10 - Traction control and handling. Traction control in 2006 model allow to spin the wheels enough to fill that is a sport car with out loose the control (modified in 2006 models only- (make a search in the GTO 2006 improvements)

Ups! was 5 only
I do not had a F body but I consider a great car too.
INGRISH RESSONS FOR ZEE WINZZZ!!1JUAN
Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Teching In

You know it is what you like,

I like the posts from guys who have both, they tell it like it is.

Last edited by shinzon; 01-07-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Well I've had my GTO about 2 weeks now and figured i'd chime in

My 2002 Camaro, was fun the first year or so, then it just kinda got old listening to all rattling towards the trunk area. I drive alot in college, and the Z was just not putting up with my DD duties. Plus my 2nd gear was going out and doing the slow 1st-3rd shift was getting old. My gas gauge also failed after I filled the car completely up. And in the past few months, I was getting horrible gas mileage. But then I found my GTO-

First off, it's nice having a "luxury" car and still nowing you have an LS1 (or 2) under the hood. I can actually hear the radio over the ride noise inside. It's a smooth ride, and suprisingly I get way better gas mileage than the Camaro. Bottom line, the car is an awesome DD for me
Old 01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Teching In

stange how a car with the same engine and 450lbs heavier can get better gas milage ? How is that ?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

stange how a car with the same engine and 450lbs heavier can get better gas milage ? How is that ?
Beats me. A trip that normally took 1/2 tank in my Camaro, only took a little over a 1/4 in the GTO.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by clayton02LS1
Beats me. A trip that normally took 1/2 tank in my Camaro, only took a little over a 1/4 in the GTO.
I found that if it took a 1/4 tank in my Camaro, it'll take 1/4 + some (3/8? hell if I know) in my GTO. Could be all in my head though.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Teching In

2000 WS6 Formula M6 (wrecked) --> 2005 GTO M6

Listing what's better in one over the other

GTO
+Dashboard looks better
+Solid car
+More Torque all around especially low down
+Good stock exhaust note
+Better ride
+Eats LESS oil than the LS1

Formula
+Best looking car ever(and I'm not big on asthetics)
+Seating position, feels like I'm in a race car as opposed to a truck(GTO)
+500 watt sound system(again, normally don't care but this was nice)
+Lighter
+Sounded better from in the car(less sound deadening insulation?)
+The RUMBLE(sitting in the car at a light just feeling the car shake with power, as Tim Allen says, 'ohohohohoh')
+People feared the car, (i.e. driving down a side road at a reasonable & lawful 25mph, car pulls up to road from a side street and is about to roll into the lane until they see you coming with a hood that looks like it wants to eat them...they stop and let you go by did I mention I love the looks?)
+Hurst linkage absolutely feels awesome!
+A more raw, visceral, and reflexive feel to the car. Just gave you a thrill everytime you drove it, even if just to the store/work/etc.

In the end I wish I had my Formula back, but I'd choose the GTO over a Z28, non-WS6, and maybe over WS6 TAs also, but a WS6 Formula(or Firehawk Formula) is a car I will forever wish I could get my hands on again.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my m6 GTO gets worse milage than my ws6 m6
Old 01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
my m6 GTO gets worse milage than my ws6 m6
My 14-second '04 GTO M6 gets worse gas mileage in town than my 12-second '98 Formula A4.

And as for the comment about it being a sports car and therefore "who cares" if it has trunk space... well.. I like driving the car as a daily, but I'm gonna be forced to sell my GTO simply because it has no space to store much of anything. I'm gonna be hauling a drum kit around, and a 24" kick drum won't fit inside a GTO anywhere.

So the answer would be... I care. I'd rather be able to put that stuff in the GTO and keep driving it.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the trunk space comment, with just a chop saw, and a couple of other tools in the trunk, it was full.

Remove that stupid gas tank, and it would be perfect.

IF my car was not new, and underwarranty, I would put an undermount gas tank in the vehicle, and reclaim the trunk space, for a no compromise vehicle

Ryan

Quick Reply: If you went from F-Body To GTO Come in here