3. looks
4. no rattles or squeaks
5. fit and finish of car overall

things that made me get back into F-body
1. i had 2500 into suspension work to fix what GM wouldn't
2. IRS. couldn't get it to 60' if it was catapualted
3. HEAT SOAK, HEAT SOAK, HEAT SOAK. nothing like a warm day when your
6.0 Liter runs like a 6 cylinder.
4. Trunk Space sucks. detailing bag and Nitrous bottle was a tight fit.
5. Slow *** power seats (seemed to be slower if it was raining out)
6. can't fit any tire worth a **** under one without serious work.
7. floormat clips are always broke. i had spares in the car with me and my
dealer started stocking them.
8. 6000 miles on mine and the computer went on strike. 3 weeks without the
car.
9. stock battery junk at 4000 miles
10. low beams suck, but the high beams are good.
11. blind spots are huge
12. rearview mirror is especially useless unless you want to see yourself

this is pretty much why i'm in another F-body
QFT. I went from an Fbody, to a GTO, and now an FBody again. I'd also like to add that the monsoon in my Z28 is 10x better then the blaukpaunt system in the GTO....
Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kenny H
QFT. I went from an Fbody, to a GTO, and now an FBody again. I'd also like to add that the monsoon in my Z28 is 10x better then the blaukpaunt system in the GTO....
Looks to me that you just had bad luck. Gto is a great car if you take care of it. The only problem I had with mine was the failing struts but that was the case with most of the '06's. It's awesome on the drag strip given the right tires and some suspension mods.(drag bags, bushings etc.)

Some people have ran 12.8 bone stock on the a4's, and 13 flat on the 6 speeds. A4's are a lot more consistent of course given the gearing.

I ran a 13.6 my first time ever at a track in my stock '06 m6, and that was when it was 95 degrees outside and I had already made 10 previous passes and was heatsoaked like a bitch. I also had full weight and was on worn street tires. Did I mention I got a whopping 2.08 60' ft? LOL
Old 01-17-2008, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTO is a great daily driver, and the f-body is a fun toy.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Teching In

I'm debating getting a Goat,but I'd almost have to get rid of my Formula. As much as I want a Goat,I'm not sure I could do that!!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Teching In

seems to me there are more and more of us who went from

fbody to gto and then back to fbody again.

I though i may have been the only one, glad to see I am not the only one who just loved the SS/ws6.

Dig it !
Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

I could never do it.
For me there's just nothing in an F-body worth going back to.
GTO's are it for me.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Launching!

well i guess it depends on your preference. i hate the goats lose feel, i hate the guages, i hate spending 2g to get rid of wheel hop on nitto's. driveshaft is crap. love working on the car easy as hell. loved never being followed by a cop. loved long trips. loved the front seats(never rode in the back) hate the smell of the leather.

i love my 00z, with suspension adj rides just as nice as the goat. granted you always pick up a rattle from somewhere u have to track down, every winter its the same thing. some little piece of crappy plastic came loose or broke. loved having an excuse to buy tools just to work on it. if u get an f-body make sure you can weld and have a lot of blood to give. if you get a goat dont get pissed when ppl think its a g6.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

had the f-body, it was an auto and I shouldve bought 6-speed back then. Now I have the 6-speed GTO and tht may be the very best reason for me to love my GTO over my old f-body. I do miss the top end of the camaro though...
Old 01-24-2008, 06:29 AM
TECH Regular

Default From 2000 Camaro SS to 2005 GTO

Don't like about GTO:

1. YOU CAN NOT BUY any type of locker LSD for the damn IRS.
2. The only LSD available is $900 from Australia. I'd put in a 9" or 8.8" first.
3. The stock LSD sucks so bad it is almost useless.
4. Only 2 ratios of gear are available and damn expensive.
5. The rear camber is WAY off and destroys the inside of the tires. Drag bags or springs are REQUIRED. No rear camber adjustment.
6. The front camber is off too and is part of the strut rub problem.
7. Wide tires and rims. NO WAY. The SS had factory 275's, I had to cut 11mm off the lip and all the spot welds are now gone to get 275's on the GTO.
8. Some love the GTO's ride. I hate that it is so soft and cushy. I think it handles like **** but others think they are equal? How?
9. No numbers on the temp gauge just "L" or "H". No oil gauge at all, I like to convert my oil pressure gauge to fuel pressure.
10. Miss my T-tops.
11. and trunk space.
12. Miss the fit of the steering wheel.
13. The steering ratio feels much slower on the GTO.
14. When the rear end slips out and you need to turn the wheel fast there is to much resistance, you find yourself scrambling to get your 2nd hand on there to turn that stiff bastard. It needs a big *** ball on the wheel like a fork lift.
15. Who the hell needs POWER seats. They are so slow.
16. The power seat back-tilt limits greatly how far back the seat will lean. I almost always have the seat tilted back as far as it will go, and I'm only 5'7".
17. I dislike leather. My first. Never again. Feels stiff to me, not soft. Cold in winter, sticks to *** in summer. Sure to crack in a few years. Is this leather supposed to be a higher class option?
18. Struts leak on most 2006's.
19. I've read the 2006 has a switch on the brake pedal that prevents tire spins due to brake torqueing. Does not disable with traction control off.
20. Stereo sucks big *****. SS sterio was great, 6 channel amp factory.
21. Styling a little plain but ok.
22. 05 wheels don't look so great.
23. Same old kidney grills from the other Pontiacs.

For both cars. A4. Way to much space between 2nd and 3rd in the auto. From 6,000 to 3,700 on the shift. The clutch SUCKS on the M6. Will not hold the factory TQ, no chance with mods. Love those 6 gears though. I want the A6.

Like about GTO:

1. LS2 power. Made me grin every time I test drove. Reason I bought the car.
2. Only new muscle car worth buying since 2005. Value, HP, and quality for the dollar.
3. Only 25,000 05's and 06's EVER made. Not 1,000,000 like the Mustang. I like the stang, GT, but everybody's got 2 and most are 180 HP 6 bangers.
4. 06 wheels look good.
5. Rear seats are much bigger and more comfortable for the kids.

EDIT: 6. The power needs to be mentioned again. I just raced an EVO, He got a 1 car jump starting at 75. I caught him at 120 and put 2 cars on him at 140. The GTO is fast.

Didn't like about the SS:

1. Lower grill opening looks like a fish mouth.
2. Starting to get some miles on her, poor girl.

Why the hell didn't I just put a turbo on it and keep it????? I didn't realize there are so many things I don't like about the GTO. I may have made a mistake. Time to check prices on a 2002 Formula.

Last edited by ericwilloughby; 01-26-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Teching In

You can always go back......

.......I found redemption
Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran 275 Nittos on the stock wheels for 2 years. Then I went to 19x9 and 275 Toyo Proxies. Never had to touch anything for them to fit.

You can run 10" wheels in the rear with minimal work. Its all in the offset.

Eaton is supposedly coming out with a LSD and gear sets.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rob
I ran 275 Nittos on the stock wheels for 2 years. Then I went to 19x9 and 275 Toyo Proxies. Never had to touch anything for them to fit.

You can run 10" wheels in the rear with minimal work. Its all in the offset.

Eaton is supposedly coming out with a LSD and gear sets.
I hope its a locker and not another $900 clutch system.
Since I crammed the 315's in there I thought a 10" wheel with at least 50mm offset would fit. What offset did the trick, brand?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want to say my Drift R's have 52 mm offset, might be 51 or 53, can't remember. I'm running the 9" so I don't know what the 10" is. GroupA wheels sell them. Doing a group purchase on ls1gto.com.

As far as the rear, looks like sometime later this year and will be a Detroit Truetrac.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 AM

Likes and dislikes,I'm a picky bastard so know that ahead of time!Had an 05 Auto GTO with 17's,Nice car,wayyyyyyyyy better interior than F car,Getting in the back seat sucked and my 14 year old said it was not comfy back there,looked comfy.Factory stereo,Way lame,Pull the driver side inner trunk panel and turn up the amp,Gets a little better.Got rid of it and found an 05 ^ speeder with 18's,Yeah the auto was faster in the drags only because it really takes some practice to launch a stock GTO on 18's.On the open road it was as smooth as anything I've ever driven at 145 mph.Feeling of the IRS took some getting used too.Glad lighted steering wheel controls were added in 06,They needed it!Sped up the seats too!Trunk space sucked ***.Dealer said it was a speaker box in the trunk,F'in idiots!The GTO was the best bang for the buck that was offered to us at a time when a similarly equipped Mustang GT cost just as much.F-bodies!Gotta love a car that will get sideways through the first couple of gears anytime you want!Build quality on both cars are about equal all things included.Any 7.5 rearend complaints can be summed up by saying that the parts to fix them are cheap as hell.They only really break in the stick or hard launching stalled and slicked auto's.I've owned both,loved and hated both,GTO is a better daily driver,But the F-body is a more raw,Noisy car.To each his own,Comparisons are apples to oranges.And the GTO shifter sucks *** because it is a remote mount,Easily rectified.Sorry so long with my post,I love them both,All cars have issues,Especially in this price range.These are not Maybachs you know!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Get in the back seat is a bitch, but every fucken coupe is a bitch expect the RX8...

I thought the rear interior was great, and fit really good compared to other cars

I liked the car alot, the 05 mustang is a car I also liked

But for the speed, I really have to get the gto...and the fact you can cam it much cheaper than the stang and it will be faster
Old 02-10-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StreetLethal01
GTO is a great daily driver, and the f-body is a fun toy.

Totally agree with you. My GTO was a great DD, but not as cool looking as a WS6.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Teching In

I didnt go from an fbody to a GTO, but I did go from a Corvette to a Goat so I guess I'll jump in...

Pro GTO:

1. The LS2. That thing is a beast. Torquey as hell, makes power early and pulls hard well into triple digits.
2. Great fit and finish. Interior is sharp and looks great. Both the front and rear seats are comfortable. Colormatched guages are a plus.
3. The stealth aspect. Whether it is cops or ricers, they never suspect the monster that lives under the hood of the GTO.
4. Cabin space. It's a 400hp car that I can cruise on the weekends with my wife AND kids. nuff said.
5. Rare, with a short option list. I see dozens of Mustangs, Camaro's, and Firebirds EVERY day. My GTO is usually the only one I see all day. The short option list may make people scratch there heads as to why that is a pro. Here is why: Of those dozens of Mustangs, Camaro's, and Firebirds, you never know whether it is a cloth seat V6 auto, or a leather appointed M6 rocking a big V8 unless you know what to look for. You know that EVERY GTO you see is a LS series V8 with a nice interior.

Things I miss about my Vette.
1. The look. While I like the GTOs styling, the vette is just dead sexy.
2. Handling. The vette could corner like it was on rails. A real drivers car.
3. The Targa top. The GTO is actually the first car I've owned in years that the top dosent do SOMETHING. I miss the ability to pull the top off on a bright sunny day and just drive.
4. Performance. Every one knows Vettes are fast.
5. (and this is my favorite) CHICKS DIG VETTES. I cant tell you how many times I would be sitting in my vette or getting gas or coming out of a resturant only to have some beautiful woman come up to me and compliment the car or hint that she wanted a ride. Of course, this didnt make the wife very happy, but all's well that ends well right?

Point is, I miss the hell out of my vette, but I love my Goat. Wouldnt trade it for anything.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

As comfortable a GTO is, I dont think the car being a chick magnet can top having a comfy interior with 400 horse.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AlexLs1
As comfortable a GTO is, I dont think the car being a chick magnet can top having a comfy interior with 400 horse.
Haha, It dosent but it was worth mentioning. Thats why I currently drive a GTO.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Never2mucHP
Haha, It dosent but it was worth mentioning. Thats why I currently drive a GTO.

Question for ya, I love my F-body and I'am not selling it. I'am in a toss up between an FRC or a GTO, I just want a 6 speed with an IRS. For everyday driving, which do you think is more fun, your opinion. Baring in mind I'am 19 going on 20 College student.

Quick Reply: If you went from F-Body To GTO Come in here