Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Quick question for you goat owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quick question for you goat owners

which of you have driven both the ls1 camaro and a ls2 gto.

which one road better and all that. i got offered a fair amount for the camaro i bought, with that extra money i can possibly buy a gto and was wondering if it was worth it.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course it's worth it... The ride is far superior to that of a Camaro. Nothing against F-body's but their interior pales in comparison. I've driven both... I say try to get an '04 w/low miles and mod the **** out of it...
Old 05-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

I had a 2000 CamaroSS M6/T-tops/heads/cam/gears/Borla CB 19K miles BLK
Loved that car!!!!
And traded it for my GTO LS2 05 =more solid ,much rarer, better interior.
My .02
Mike
Old 05-22-2008, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

yea my brother had one and he says it is a really nice car, interior wise, engine, rare, but the value on them is depreciating rapidly thats the only downfall.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

how's that? i have a 04 with 70.000 mi on it and it is still worth 17000$ they only made around 42000 gto's in 3 yr's. there not going to go down very much at all. as there have been alot wrecked...
Old 05-22-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

^Around here you wouldnt get 15k for that, but yes they are dropping fast.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:27 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Prices are dropping like a rock.

The GTO has a better interior, but a softer ride. It's based off a sedan, afterall. It's under-braked, under-tired and under-suspended.

It's a great daily driver, but for an all-out "race" car, the F-Body is the way to go.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Teching In

I have a LS2 GTO and my buddy has a '01 LS1 SS. Mine rides better but his handles better.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by yellowjacketfever
how's that? i have a 04 with 70.000 mi on it and it is still worth 17000$ they only made around 42000 gto's in 3 yr's. there not going to go down very much at all. as there have been alot wrecked...
you could get 17k for an ls2 gto with a little less miles.

think about when they were brand new, they were like 32k brand new, thats almost half of the amount people paid 2 years ago.

kinda ridiculous dont you think?
Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bobbo1
I have a LS2 GTO and my buddy has a '01 LS1 SS. Mine rides better but his handles better.
A call to Pedders will take care of that.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:40 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by AlexLs1
A call to Pedders will take care of that.
For a boatload of money as well.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

anything worth having cost a boat load of cash?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

The resale value sucks. Dont know why, but it does. So if u are buying it to turn around and sell it in a year, i dont know about that. Then again, how much more could it drop?

If you want a drag car, stay with an F-body. Better handling, cheaper to mod, can fit more tire as is (unless u mini-tub), lighter, etc.

IF it is a DD, the GTO is hands down. Nicer interior, much more comfortable (much), nicer ride, no noises and squeeks and rattles inside (firebird was a noisy bitch), powerful motor, room in the back seats (can fit adults), still hauls ***.

IF you want the best of both worlds, and dont mind spending a lil coin... you can get the GTO to handle like a F-body with just some pedders (or your own suspension upgrades) and some new wheels. To get an F-body to where a GTO is.... redesign the interior, reupolster, etc. it isnt really feasible.

that is my honest opinion. I road in F-bodies nearly every day for years, drove them, etc. Now i own a GTO, and there is no comparison really.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
The resale value sucks. Dont know why, but it does. So if u are buying it to turn around and sell it in a year, i dont know about that. Then again, how much more could it drop?

If you want a drag car, stay with an F-body. Better handling, cheaper to mod, can fit more tire as is (unless u mini-tub), lighter, etc.

IF it is a DD, the GTO is hands down. Nicer interior, much more comfortable (much), nicer ride, no noises and squeeks and rattles inside (firebird was a noisy bitch), powerful motor, room in the back seats (can fit adults), still hauls ***.

IF you want the best of both worlds, and dont mind spending a lil coin... you can get the GTO to handle like a F-body with just some pedders (or your own suspension upgrades) and some new wheels. To get an F-body to where a GTO is.... redesign the interior, reupolster, etc. it isnt really feasible.

that is my honest opinion. I road in F-bodies nearly every day for years, drove them, etc. Now i own a GTO, and there is no comparison really.
x2 on what he said. I rebadged mine as a 5.7 and have a rhys millen rearbumper ( car was hit in a parking garage at BWI ) and its fun to have people think ur car is a lot slower than it is
Old 05-24-2008, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

I have a 99 z28 and a 98 TA... I like my 04 GTO a lot better... a lot better ride quality and interior is a lot better... I just don't have the 6.0 i'd give up the other two for another goat..
Old 05-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

a buddy had an 06 m6 after his 01 ss and his fire hawk and he liked the goat better, but he couldn't afford it so he is still drivin the ss but looks to get another gto someday
Old 05-25-2008, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

trade it in for a new g8
Old 05-25-2008, 09:58 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by TAwhore
anything worth having cost a boat load of cash?
In comparison of the same quality suspension peices for F-body's, it is a lot.

I'm not knocking Pedders, but all you're getting is bushings, bushings, more bushings... and some coilovers. That's why it's so hard for me to justify spending the money on a car that will never be what I envision.

UMI, BMR, Spohn, LG, etc will get that "lean" F-body running circles around a Pedders GTO. I haven't been in a full Pedders GTO, but I can't see the behemoth moving better than a Strano-ized Camaro.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how nice your interior is, it's who crossed the finish line first. This GTO leg-humping is almost like the import guys trying their best to justify their cars. Then again, it is a Holden. If you can't beat them, brag about your fit and finish.

Last edited by demonspeed; 05-25-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by demonspeed
In comparison of the same quality suspension peices for F-body's, it is a lot.

I'm not knocking Pedders, but all you're getting is bushings, bushings, more bushings... and some coilovers. That's why it's so hard for me to justify spending the money on a car that will never be what I envision.

UMI, BMR, Spohn, LG, etc will get that "lean" F-body running circles around a Pedders GTO. I haven't been in a full Pedders GTO, but I can't see the behemoth moving better than a Strano-ized Camaro.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how nice your interior is, it's who crossed the finish line first. This GTO leg-humping is almost like the import guys trying their best to justify their cars. Then again, it is a Holden. If you can't beat them, brag about your fit and finish.
Are you ******* kidding me? a F-body handles better, and is lighter. who has denied this? a GTO is heavier and doesnt handle as well, but it has bigger ***** (thats right, i said it) where is your ls2? oh, u dont have one. Ohhh no i didnt! It also has alot nicer interior, rides nicer, etc.

again, if u want a drag car, or want all out performance, get a f-body. If you want a car that rides sweet as pie, has a comfy interior, and keeps up with (and yes, sometimes beats) f-bodies, GTO.
I agree about the expense of some of these parts being stupid. They really are. There is a "corevette tax", and now a "gto tax". It pisses me off. lol.

However, i am not trying to "justify" my GTO. I love ram air firebirds, and will own one some day. However, i love my GTO. Its exactly what i want.
Perhaps i am a leg-humper. But i have banged many an f-body in the *** racing.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmdgto
trade it in for a new g8
Have you driven the G8 GT??? I would not even consider trading my goat in for that car. It rides smooth but I like our interiors better and it is slow as all get out. The acceleration factor is not there. Maybe when the GXP comes out with a manual it may feel better. I am also not a big fan of Four door cars. If I want a muscle car I want it to behave as such. If you slapped APS or GEN TTR twins on it then I may consider but for 33k stock seems a little high for me.

Quick Reply: Quick question for you goat owners