Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Post Header install

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post Header install

Hey guys, two days ago I installed PS long tubes with catless connection pipes and up until today it running great with no CEL. Today i start driving it around and the CEL pops on and the car has a lopey idle like i have a huge cam in it. also when i come to stops the idle jumps from about 1000 to 400rpms and it has stalled a couple time. I'm confused as to what is wrong with the car. The only thing not connected is the driver side REAR o2 sensor but all ive seen about the rear o2's is that they measure how accurately the cats are working(which i have none) and that the rear o2's in no way affect the way the car runs... :-( ive ordered an extension for that side to plug it in but im very doubtful that its causing the problem....any ideas?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Teching In

You need a tune. Either a hand held (Ex: Predator) or a local tuner can fix you up.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Teching In

I think its something wrong with a connection or something i dont think its a tune fixer. its dumping tons of fuel out the exhaust and stalling whenever i come to a stop....im thinking maybe front o2's or maybe spark plugs...i bought the tr5ix's and left them pregap, but like i said it was fine for two days than all of a sudden this... and i went to advance to have the codes read and the port was unreadable
Old 05-23-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

you need a tune. they can tune out your rear 02's and fix you check engine light. go to a local shop with a dyno and tune that thing. you will get more rwhp your car will run better and no lights plus they can tune out your skip shift. Go Now
Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After I put on my headers I had some problems with the idle surging a little but only at drivethru's like wendys when they take for ever. Get a tune from a shop like race proven motorsports. They are in Claymont D.E.http://www.raceprovenmotorsports.net/ and thats only a few minutes from jeresy. Trust me you well be much happier with a dyno tune and the skipshift being deleted than a handheld tuner. Good luck bro
Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Teching In

do you think its really a tune i need or something else? I had auto zone read the codes and it threw a P0171 and P0174 (banks 1 and 2 running lean) there were like 7 things that it said could cause this. I tried a new fill up(thinking bad fuel) but that didnt help....checked for vaccuum leak but there was none...pulled and cleaned MAF and that didnt help. I pulled the plugs and they were fouled...basically dripping with gas...so for me its either bad 02 sensors or maybe you guys are right...maybe just a tune. I also pulled the o2's and they were black as night so tune or o2's?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have u hooked the rear 02 sensor up yet. It should be fine after a tune. Good luck bro and keep us updated.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Teching In

old thread but just wanted to update anyone who really gives a crap...lol...changed out the o2 sensors and car runs like a champ now....still need a tune to pick up the most from the exhaust....thanks for all your answers guys...

Quick Reply: Post Header install