Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

o2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008 | 07:33 PM
Teching In

Default o2 sensors?

i just got my pacesetter LT headers and mid pipes. do i NEED to get the o2 sensor extentions or will i be ok with out it?
Old 06-11-2008 | 07:40 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

If I remember right the front O2's will not reach the bungs on the Pacesetters without extentions. The rears will reach but you'll want to turn those off anyway unless you got catted mid pipes.
Old 06-11-2008 | 08:08 PM
Teching In

how do i turn them off?
Old 06-11-2008 | 08:15 PM

You'll need to get a custom tune of some kind. Hand held tuner, EFI Live, HP Tuners, Dyno shop etc...
Otherwise you will trip a SES light because the O2's will see an off reading. Do you have cats in the mid pipes? If you do then I dont think it will matter.
Old 06-11-2008 | 08:18 PM
Teching In

without the tune, will it affect the performance of the car? or is it just the light?
Old 06-11-2008 | 08:27 PM

It may goof around with your fuel trims. Sometimes I get some idle hunting when I approach a stop light and push the clutch in. Worse if the AC is on. Nothing too bad. Still easily driveable.
A tune is going to:

A. Turn off the SES light and codes that trip it.
B. Get you the extra HP by getting your air/fuel mixture optimized.

That is something these cars need before any mods anyway. That is why you see 20-35 rwhp gain from just a tune and headers most of the time. I have tuning software and I didn't turn the O2s off for months becasue I was too lazy to go outside and do it.
Short answer is: No problem to drive it. A tune will make it better.
Old 06-11-2008 | 08:32 PM
Teching In

ok thank you. what about problems at the track? take off, accel? etc..
Old 06-11-2008 | 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by armyGTO
i just got my pacesetter LT headers and mid pipes. do i NEED to get the o2 sensor extentions or will i be ok with out it?
Back to this question...
Were you just gonna plug the front bungs with the O2s and not hook them up? That will throw a code and may affect driving because it is the front set.
The rear O2s just check for cat function. Where the front O2's are checking your fuel mixture.
There are also things called O2 sims. I don't know if they make them for a GTO or not.

No mater what youre gonna need to get the front O2s plugged in. They only way to do that is the extensions or cut your harness in half and solder in extention wires yourself. That is what came with my Pacesetters, a bunch of waterproof butt connectors and a small run of wire. Kind of ghetto, but I did it.
Old 06-11-2008 | 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by armyGTO
ok thank you. what about problems at the track? take off, accel? etc..
As long as the front O2s are hooked up, then no issues. You'll see more power with a dyno tune which may help you ET slightly.
Old 06-11-2008 | 08:45 PM
Teching In

i got the o2 extentions. my mid pipes also have a spot for the rear sensors. so i am jut going to hook up all of my sensors for now. i want to get a tune after i am finished with all of my bolt ons. its a dyno tune not just a plug and play tune, i figure i wil be able to get more out of it that way.

you seem to know quite a bit. do you mind if i ask you some more questions? (1slowhoe)
Old 06-11-2008 | 09:56 PM

I are smart

You can ask. Not saying I know the answers. For GTO specific questions I suggest a search at www.LS1GTO.Com Only because 90% of the guys on tech are F-body drivers. A lot of the theroies and parts are the same but the GTO has some very "non-standard" parts as well.

Quick Reply: o2 sensors?