Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

don't know if i should get a gto or not??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default don't know if i should get a gto or not??

its time to get another car! i have a 01 Camaro SS M6 right now for the weekends, i need to buy a DD and im thinking of getting the LS2 GTO... i need it to be Auto just cuz it'll be my DD and since i have my M6 already i might as well try the auto my question is this: what does the GTO have that the camaro doesn't??? i can get a camaro for maybe half the price of the GTO but is the GTO worth the money?? would i be making a mistake on getting an AUTO vs. M6?? thanx guys, and maybe you guys can turn me into the right direction! GTO!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never owned a Camaro, but have ridden in several. The ride of a Camaro doesn't come anywhere close to that of a GTO. The GTO is a very solid car. The suspension is very strong and handles the weight of the car very well. There is an issue on most GTO's with the rear coil springs sagging prematurely, and the front strut mounts collapsing very early in the car's life. It's believed to be that the strut mount issue is due to the way the cars were strapped down to be shipped, but the new mounts aren't very expensive and seem to permanently solve the problem, and the rear coil spring issue isn't hard to address either.

The GTO's suspension doesn't squeek like you very commonly hear in an F-Body. The interior is better quality stuff too. The door panels are sturdier, the seats are nicer (in my opinion), and the car is a little more comfortable for rear passengers (though I never have any). Then there's the performance side to it all with the bigger engine and bigger brakes than the Camaro. The aftermarket out the for the LS2 is quite big and though not as big as the Camaro market, there are more than enough parts out there to make an LS2 GTO scream just like any heavily modded F-Body, Mustang, etc.

A4 vs M6. I've owned both. I started with an '04 M6 and ended with an '05 A4. I got the A4 because I got more into drag racing and I needed to be more consistant with my ET's... and didn't want to pour near $5k in a clutch upgrade, driveshaft, and building the whole rear-end. I extremely miss driving the M6 though and unless you plan on drag racing at the track an awful lot, or want to have 430+ rwhp and have the money to build the driveline up the right way then I would stick with the M6. I know that means two manual transmission cars you would own, but my daily driver at the time was a manual transmission and I thought I was tired of the M6 in the GTO and sold it for an A4 in order to only have one manual car. I don't know if I would have stuck with an M6 on the new GTO if I could do it all over again, but I think I would have been just fine having two manual cars in the end.

You have to look at all of the pro's and con's of both transmissions. The A4 transmission can handle more power in stock form, and puts less stress on the driveline making higher horsepower in the A4 not a problem. If you drive in alot of traffic it's great for that. But the gas mileage isn't near as good and it's not as fun when you want to drive fast. But no matter which transmission you go, if you have the money and want the better quality car then I think the GTO is a great choice. The Camaro is an awesome car too, but I like the GTO better for it's better quality and all.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really like my 04 GTO with the auto. The car is really solid and much more comfortable that my Camaro ever was. The LS1 is very peppy too. Back seats are nice and comfy with room for a 6 footer to fit, although access is a pita. Trunk is small. Stereo is decent. I have the silver with red interior which is really sharp IMHO.

You could buy mine! Only reason selling is I own too many cars . . .
Old 07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned Village Idiot

thanx andrew thats the answer i was looking for! im going to have to test drive one for sure, how much MPG does the GTO give you i heard around 23?? i like the roomy back seats in case i need to carry some people with me thats a plus!

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
I really like my 04 GTO with the auto. The car is really solid and much more comfortable that my Camaro ever was. The LS1 is very peppy too. Back seats are nice and comfy with room for a 6 footer to fit, although access is a pita. Trunk is small. Stereo is decent. I have the silver with red interior which is really sharp IMHO.

You could buy mine! Only reason selling is I own too many cars . . .
lol yea i see your list goes on and on
Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I just got my GTO about 2 weeks ago

I'd look at '04s since they have depreciated a lot more. You can find a LOT of 04's with the '05-'06 hood/bumpers

plus its the proven ls1 (not to knock the ls2)

plus mine came procharged, so I couldn't turn it down
Old 07-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned Village Idiot

^^ nice, how much was it??
Old 07-07-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

mine is a DD. best car ive ever owned. its a pleasure to drive.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Banned Village Idiot

sounds good... how many miles per gallon do you get??
Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

umm mines an 04 a4 and I get about 20 to 22 on the high way and about 15 to 16 in town as long as you keep your foot out of it its fine on gas
Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

bout 17-18/ 25/26 ive been a little more conservative with my driving lately though ill still wind it out occasionally.

i noticed using 5th and 6th more often in city driving makes a difference.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
its time to get another car! i have a 01 Camaro SS M6 right now for the weekends, i need to buy a DD and im thinking of getting the LS2 GTO... i need it to be Auto just cuz it'll be my DD and since i have my M6 already i might as well try the auto my question is this: what does the GTO have that the camaro doesn't??? i can get a camaro for maybe half the price of the GTO but is the GTO worth the money?? would i be making a mistake on getting an AUTO vs. M6?? thanx guys, and maybe you guys can turn me into the right direction! GTO!

man if u get the GTO then u will want to mod the hell out of it like i did.

from what i know is the gto has a killer interior
blaupunkt sound system with 6 cd changer
leather interior with suede panels
trip computer with quite a few readings ( not too sure if the camaro has it )
speed controlled wipers
big brakes
different interior color options

the car can fit 4 grown *** adults just fine
if u get an auto then u can get a stall if u want the performance out of it

real nice car i think u should do it!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen his camaro on the dyno I think he will get his hp kicks out of that for quite some time, but back to the topic it is a very comfortable daily driver that gets decent mpg.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Originally Posted by gangbang malloy
man if u get the GTO then u will want to mod the hell out of it like i did.

from what i know is the gto has a killer interior
blaupunkt sound system with 6 cd changer
leather interior with suede panels
trip computer with quite a few readings ( not too sure if the camaro has it )
speed controlled wipers
big brakes
different interior color options

the car can fit 4 grown *** adults just fine
if u get an auto then u can get a stall if u want the performance out of it

real nice car i think u should do it!!!
lol you know whos car made me look at the GTO a lil more closer??? YOURS! lol at the meet you guys had you were taking off and you rolled up next to us and i sticked my head in your window that **** looked bad ***, roomy and luxuary!!! im would have to keep it stock for a lil while, after that i'll throw a nice lil cam and for sure a stall and gears

Originally Posted by socal gto
I've seen his camaro on the dyno I think he will get his hp kicks out of that for quite some time, but back to the topic it is a very comfortable daily driver that gets decent mpg.
all my money will go to the Camaro just cuz i started on it so now im going to finish it, the GTO will be a DD but i will also race it sometimes
Old 07-07-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds good... how many miles per gallon do you get??
It will get the same as most any ls1 f bod, corvette or whatever with an A4. It all depends on how you drive it. If you want 23mpg you can get it if your right foot allows it. My '05 A4 is the best daily driver I've ever had. Night and day better than my TA. Of course I'm staying away from the mod trap on this car lol
Old 07-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Launching!

lol you know whos car made me look at the GTO a lil more closer??? YOURS! lol at the meet you guys had you were taking off and you rolled up next to us and i sticked my head in your window that **** looked bad ***, roomy and luxuary!!! im would have to keep it stock for a lil while, after that i'll throw a nice lil cam and for sure a stall and gears

all my money will go to the Camaro just cuz i started on it so now im going to finish it, the GTO will be a DD but i will also race it sometimes

you mean this day?

the engine should be done in like a month or 2 then i'll give u a ride in the gto that will completely make u forget about the camaro
Old 07-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Teching In

I just bought my 04 auto a few weeks back and its my DD and I love it. I look forward to driving it everyday. The interior is much better in my opinion than in a camaro and I have been in both. I think you would really enjoy driving it daily.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

buy a older vette. easier to mod and faster.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanx andrew thats the answer i was looking for! im going to have to test drive one for sure, how much MPG does the GTO give you i heard around 23?? i like the roomy back seats in case i need to carry some people with me thats a plus!

lol yea i see your list goes on and on
Mileage, with the A4 . . . 15~16 around town / 21~22 highway

I've taken mine on a few road trips and it is very comfortable.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

If you want power you can always add these. I get 25mpg with my m6 pushing 650rwhp
Old 07-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Banned Village Idiot

Originally Posted by gangbang malloy
you mean this day?

the engine should be done in like a month or 2 then i'll give u a ride in the gto that will completely make u forget about the camaro
lol sexy *** GTO!!! i'll be waiting for that ride!
Originally Posted by ArklaTexan
If you want power you can always add these. I get 25mpg with my m6 pushing 650rwhp
damn! i'll keep the GTO stock tho... for now

Quick Reply: don't know if i should get a gto or not??