Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Got to go autocrossing yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I guess you've been looking in the wrong series.

<knocks on wood>
I've been racing the same 96 TA since 05, had almost zero contact (none that required and paint or body work), have an annual racing budget of $5K (which includes travel, tires, brakes and fuel), competing in 20+ races per year over 6 weekends.

I've had to replace a starter, an alternator, belt, hoses and a power steering pump. I had to have my trans rebuilt after I let a guy drive the car who kept finding reverse while searching for 5th.

Part of maturing as a W2W racer is learning that losing a single corner doesn't mean you'll lose the race. Racing is like a game of chess where you study your opponent looking for opportunities and then capitalizing on his weaknesses. It's also, studying yourself, knowing one's own weaknesses and altering driving style to minimize the risk.

That mental part of racing is the most fascinating to me. It's not the speed or the finesse, it's the joust of one driver against another. If I win the race, great. If not, I had a hard fought battle none-the-less.

I never got that feeling being on track against the clock. If you blow 1 turn, it's over.

Don't get me wrong ... there are guys who are willing to spend it all in a single turn competing for almost nothing but internet bragging rights. You just have to learn who they are and play them differently.

I've been fortunate enough to bring home the Championship trophy 2 years running. For me, that's not important and it's why you never see me bragging about it. Some one has to win and it's just been my turn. The important thing has been the relationships I've built over the last few years.

I had a competitor lose a clutch disc late Saturday afternoon, the last race of the season. While the old clutch was being removed, I had called my wife and she shuttled the replacement clutch to the track which was over 100 miles away. It was my clutch I had as a spare and, while he offered, I never accepted any kind of payment for it or the transport. If the roles were reversed, he'd have done the same thing for me. FWIW ... he out ran me on Sunday.

That's the kind of thing that, for me at least, sets what I do apart from drag racing and my limited experience AXing. I found them both rather "clique-ish", meaning if you consistently ran in the top 5, you got the primo jobs, got straight answers to questions and were given a lot of lee-way that others just weren't granted.

My experience ...
mitchntx,

That was well said. Once you get out there (and stay a while) and show that you're trustworthy, it becomes a different game. Confidence amongst your competitors is key. You mention relationships; my fondest memories are of the many friendships I've made.

Andy1
Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00_STANG_KILLER
Anyone know how i can get involved in auto x around Bentonville ARkansas?
Yes. Shoot me an email or PM.

I'm right down the road (Springdale) and have taken more than a couple NW AR noobs to their first autocross.

FYI - At the minimum, "around NW AR" means at least a drive to Tulsa or Springfield, MO. I've never bothered with Little Rock.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Contact your local regions that's where you start:

Arkansas Region SCCA: http://www.arscca.org/
Kansas City Region SCCA (since I think you are in the NW corner of AR): http://www.kcrscca.org/
Actually the two closest regions are...

OMR (Ozark Mountain region - southern MO) http://omrscca.org/

and NEOKLA (NE Oklahoma region - Tulsa) http://neoklascca.org/
http://www.greencountrymotorsports.com/index.php?action=forum

I run with with both on a regular basis (and should really hold a dual membership I guess). Technically NW AR is in the NEOKLA region.

FWIW I (and the other locals) do occasionally run with the Kansas, Kansas City or Arkansas regions as well.

C'mon Sammy... after all the guys I've sent your way, you can't send one to me?

Last edited by Ironhead; 12-05-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ironhead
FYI - At the minimum, "around NW AR" means at least a drive to Tulsa or Springfield, MO.
If you're driving all the way to Tulsa ...

http://www.hallettracing.com/

Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
If you're driving all the way to Tulsa ...

http://www.hallettracing.com/

Yeah, I know....

I've had more than a couple invitations to run out there over the past few years. Just haven't done it yet.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I particiated at the Houston autocross yesterday and it was a blast. The people were great, offering instruction, a free ride with a experienced rider (BMW M3 and she was very fast), and a instructor for first run. I shaved 10 seconds off my first run, didn't get lost nor hit any cones. I was pretty aggressive in the last run, but I have much improvement to work on - best thing is that it was fun and a definite adrenaline rush.

The stock goodyears were ok, but I think I'd like to look at a good autocross/street legal tire - any recommendations? Also, I'm a Zaino freak, and I had a hard time with painters tape sticking for my class ID - it would just peel off 1/2 through the run. The magnetized number stuck to the rear quarter panel ok after the sun came out. Is there a safer/stickier tape that is proven with Zanoed/waxed cars?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a sheet of magnetic stuff from the craft store and some thin felt or other soft cloth to glue onto it as a backing. Or you can always just tape the number to the side of the hatch glass.

Any highly waxed car will have the same issue with most any kind of tape.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

I found out we get a permanent number and class on a magnet for the season when registering online, so I think that will solve my Zaino/tape issues.

I do plan on staying stock and focusing on my driving skills for the future. However, afterwards, what are some good first mods (other than shocks, springs, tires)? I saw in a old catalog that subframe connectors are recommended to stiffin the chassis - it even said quarter panel deformations can occur if autocrossing without them - is this really true? Thanks!

Last edited by MrEddie; 12-10-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

You already aren't legal for F-stock given the mods you have (though they are easily undone). You need to decide if you want to run in stock, STU, or ESP (or CP or SM for that matter).

F-stock and ESP are the classes the car is most competitive. F-Stock being the cheapest to setup for.

SFC's are not required... and quarters don't dimple from not having SFC's, it happens from wheel hop, either under acceleration or braking. It's a myth that SFC's have anything to do with that.

As for your plans. Autocrossing is what I do. I also teach it, and I use my experience to help those just starting in setting up and learning as much as I teach by phone. The driving is simply time and effort. It's not easy. I can offer advice and set up the car for you. I've got a total of 9 SCCA Champioships, 5 of which are in F-bodies.

So you need to decide how much you like it, and if you want to build a car that fits best in a specific class, or if you just want to horse around. I'm competitive so I wanted a car built to compete vs. just driving for fun alone. Once you figure that out, you need to make sure you know the rules (buy or download the rulebook) so you don't screw yourself on classing.... There are somethings like shocks and front swaybars that legal to change in any class, but many others cause your class to be changed, and often folks pick parts that are worth little to no time but you have to run against much faster cars.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info, Sam. At this point, I'm just becoming accustomed to the courses and learning how to 'walk the course' and learn the course quickly. My first autocross in the Z28 I was slow but I shaved a lot of time off the first run and didn't DNF. I'm STE at the moment in the Z28. This past autocross was during a constant rain shower so I decided to use my Mazda3 (HS class). I didn't study the course as well and got lost in the first run - doh. I was slippin and sliding my other runs with moderate puddles covering my windshield - felt like a rally at times. Once I improve my skills a bit, I'll start to look at competing a little more seriously - so I may ask some advice.

Quick Reply: Got to go autocrossing yesterday