Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Where can I find F-body Road Race parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Where can I find F-body Road Race parts?

I'm embarking on a new project with a 99 Z28 w/ T56 as a DD/WW (Road Race/AutoX).

I'm having a hard time finding everything I'm trying to find, mainly Big Brake kits. The folks at BMR seem to have some nice stuff, and I'm getting the impression that Coilovers aren't always the best way to go with an F-Body?

I'm transitioning from Nissan S-Chassis cars to the F-Body and it's a world of difference. Also I want to locate some Z06 Wheels not with the rivets and maybe some other sizes.

I've been searching around these forums for about 3 hours today and have picked up a lot of info but these cars are mainly used for straight line so it's hard to find info for those who use their steering wheels.

The goal I have with the car is approx 500-530 RWHP leaning towards an STS kit since I have a love for Turbos.

*Edit* Also a recommendation on rear end gearing please.

Thanks,
Zach
Old 11-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

For more info than you can digest in one sitting about road race and autoxing an F-Body

www.frrax.com

For info on parts, one of the first guys to call and chat with is Sam Strano. He's a sponsor on here, look him up.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are a bunch of good sponsors at the right of your screen.
For turning corners the best is stranoparts.com
Many have used his spring, sway bars and Konis to gain success in road racing.
I'm very happy w my combo.
Give Sam (Strano) a call. He is very knowledgeable and very willing to help.

(Sam, you have my home address if you want to send me any free stuff for my endorsement!)
Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to LS1Tech! and there are abunch of stuff you can get. C5 brakes are the cheapest and really good. you can buy a full set at www.bmrfabrication.com along with plenty of other parts for your autox dd. you could also get some good stuff straight from www.summitracing.com and alast the massive list of sponsers to the right also aid in everything.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zdonner
I'm embarking on a new project with a 99 Z28 w/ T56 as a DD/WW (Road Race/AutoX).

The goal I have with the car is approx 500-530 RWHP leaning towards an STS kit since I have a love for Turbos.

*Edit* Also a recommendation on rear end gearing please.

Thanks,
Zach
Zach, what class do you expect to run in?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 PM

Not really sure, trying to skim over the rules to figure out where I'd fit. It's mainly going to be a DD/Toy if you will, but I want to get into competition ideally more than AutoX at some point. Maybe more realistically just a track day car, it depends how much of my amenities I have to give up to fit into a class. I do intend to retain AC and PS, ABS and such.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Welcome to the forum! A brake conversion that i have ben looking at for the future is the c6 Z06 callipers and "14 rotors, But for now i will only upgrade with a good "13 rotor wich will help these cars allot, I have not ben roadracing yet, But I have driven the car pretty hard on a special stretch we have in town and I have al ready experiensed brake fade with my stock brakes.
And if youy have any questions or thought about these cars! do a search and you will find the most that you are interested in! Other wise dont hasitate to ask! Ther is allot of experiensed people on this board!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really sure, trying to skim over the rules to figure out where I'd fit. It's mainly going to be a DD/Toy if you will, but I want to get into competition ideally more than AutoX at some point. Maybe more realistically just a track day car, it depends how much of my amenities I have to give up to fit into a class. I do intend to retain AC and PS, ABS and such.
Not knowing you or your experience level, forgive me for starting at ground zero.

It sounds like you have little to no experience on a road course. I have witnessed drivers with little experience show up at a track with monster power on monster suspension and go away so frustrated that they never show back up.

You know how in drag racing you reach a plateau and the cost of each tenth gained goes up exponentially? Very similar in RR.

An experienced racer in a stock F-Body will absolutely spank a rookie in a race prepped C5. I was in my street car with 315 Kuhmos and almost 400 at the wheels and got my *** handed to me by a seasoned vet in a Mini Cooper. And to add insult to injury, he had 2 passengers.

That's when it dawned on me what everyone had been telling me .... seat time, seat time, seat time ... that is the single best modification a driver can do to his car.

There is no thrill and rush that equates to racing a competitor, door handle to door handle, lap after lap. It doesn't matter how much HP you make or how much money you've spent ... it's the chess game called racing.

This is an example ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwPErSkyoXg

This guy and I battled for the whole race, exchanging the lead numerous times ... 3 times on the last lap! It was an amazing experience.

The cars?

Bone freaking stock LT1s with a little suspension work ... you can literally by a car and required safety gear and begin racing, having the absolute time of your life for less than that 500HP turbo motor will cost you.

So, I caution you to research carefully and make good decisions. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

My first suggestion would be to attend a few autocrosses with the car as is. A stock, slower car, really points out what you need to learn more than a high power car will. Develop the basics, then get into modding the car.

When it is time to mod, start with simple suspension bolt ons like sway bars, control arms, panhard bar, and torque arm. Worry about power later, after you have the feel of the car and the stock power completely under control.

-Tim
Old 11-25-2008, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the info, obviously you assumed correct; I've not had the pleasure of RR yet but I've wanted to start for years, though I'm not ignorant enough to dive right into a course with 500+ HP that is an end goal and not one set in stone. With my S-Chassis cars, I started with good suspension, very good Coilovers, larger brakes, toe arms, sway bars, RUCAs, Camber plates, ect.

These F-body cars do not have the same suspension I am familiar with, well except maybe the front I'm used to independent rear suspension not a solid rear axle.

I can't just go out and buy a set of Coilovers, and some suspension arms and then go to an AutoX and tune it... I've seen 2 brands of Coilovers and I'm wondering if a Coilovers for the rear is really the best way to go?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The short answer is yes, you could just go and buy parts and slap them on.

The long answer is that if you don't know the baseline of the car, how are you going to know how to tune the new stuff or even take advantage of it? You really should start with the car as basic as possible if you want to both enjoy and develop the skills to drive quickly instead of just fast.

I have been lucky enough to drive a lot of different cars and I can tell you that 3rd and 4th gen f-bodies have a very very unique attitude.

-Tim
Old 11-25-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the info, obviously you assumed correct; I've not had the pleasure of RR yet but I've wanted to start for years, though I'm not ignorant enough to dive right into a course with 500+ HP that is an end goal and not one set in stone. With my S-Chassis cars, I started with good suspension, very good Coilovers, larger brakes, toe arms, sway bars, RUCAs, Camber plates, ect.

These F-body cars do not have the same suspension I am familiar with, well except maybe the front I'm used to independent rear suspension not a solid rear axle.

I can't just go out and buy a set of Coilovers, and some suspension arms and then go to an AutoX and tune it... I've seen 2 brands of Coilovers and I'm wondering if a Coilovers for the rear is really the best way to go?
Start with baby steps, get some good shocks (like koni single adjustable), brakes and tires and go from there.
The coil overs you are probably referring to are QA1s, which are off the shelf drags shocks, not something you want.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:42 PM

Okay well that makes sence, and yes the QA1's. The car is 100% stock which is why I have purchased it. I'm not throwing money at it before I drive it though I don't see much use in driving with stock suspension that is probably 10 years old.

The car has TCS which is a nice plus while getting used to the car. I am mostly concerned with planing the future of the car IE should I change gear ratios? Where can I purchase a good set of brakes for all 4 corners (not who makes them so much as where can I get them), I've picked up that the double Panhard bars are a very wise investment?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Look at Ground Control coilovers for handling applications if you'd like coilovers. I hang out with too many 240 guys, and they all LOVE the coilovers.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by IFRYRCE
Look at Ground Control coilovers for handling applications if you'd like coilovers. I hang out with too many 240 guys, and they all LOVE the coilovers.
Well they're required for a car like that, no one makes a shock/spring combo that will do any real good. A lot buy them to "slam" the cars though and for no other reason.

I've never thought very highly of ground control, seems half-assed to me. I'm fine with shock/spring combo I am simply learning how the F-body suspension works best though asking you folks.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Well they're required for a car like that, no one makes a shock/spring combo that will do any real good. A lot buy them to "slam" the cars though and for no other reason.

I've never thought very highly of ground control, seems half-assed to me. I'm fine with shock/spring combo I am simply learning how the F-body suspension works best though asking you folks.
I run the GC weight jackers and springs w/ Koni DAs they seem okay to me??? great way to corner weight the car..... but this was a 3rd gen application don't know what they offer for 4th gen.....The owner uses them on his RR F body, Strano is great stuff as well.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as mentioned before, check out frrax forum. tech has a lot of good info and some bad..sometimes a lot of bad. on frrax, its dedicated to road racing and auto-x. and please, stay away from STS. do more searching and you'll understand why
Old 11-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Banned

Sam Strano is probably the most versed in autox and rr on this site. i would contact him, he will give you free advice and not try to sell you anything, he will only sell you something if you need it.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the info, though who/what is GC an acronym? I've been leaned away from the STS idea by a friend of mine it was a long term goal anyway but I think I'll just worry about a good H/C setup. Then maybe a whipple
Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info, though who/what is GC an acronym? I've been leaned away from the STS idea by a friend of mine it was a long term goal anyway but I think I'll just worry about a good H/C setup. Then maybe a whipple
GC = Ground Control. They are a brand of suspension components.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/index.php

Quick Reply: Where can I find F-body Road Race parts?