Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Has anyone used a Dana S60 rear end while autox or roadracing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Has anyone used a Dana S60 rear end while autox or roadracing?

How does an S60 hold up to roadracing, it is cheaper than a 12 bolt or 9 in and it has options for a tru-track, so i was looking at that at being my next rear end when my ten bolt goes. I know the ten bolt would be ok for just roadracing but i plan on dragging it too with at least 500rwhp. Thanks
Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A D60 should be fine. I had a D44 in my old car, and it didn't act any different than with the stock rear. The D60 would sit under there like any other rear.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:05 AM
TECH Resident

So, it would in fact be better for handling opposed to a 12 bolt or 9 in? just because of weight?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not really better or worse. It's unsprung weight so it isn't ideal, but it also has to be strong enough to suit your drag racing needs. So it is a trade off.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

right, so the extra added weight wouldn't be benificial to autoxing but in theory, wouldn't it be better to add weight back there to even up the weight ratio of my car?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope, added weight isn't a positive no matter where or what it is.

You said you intend to drag race the car as well. If you are planning to beat on the car on the dragstrip, you can't expect to take advantage of the nice light stock 10bolt on a road course. It is a trade off of having a one car to use for all disciplines.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Teching In

im a huge offroad jeep enthusiast and the dana 60 is a beastly axle not the lightest mind u but very strong and by far the most popular with big tire spinning jeeps they can handle serious beating and the aftermarket support is great and wadded weight isnt good like nj spyder said but if u want something u can pull out at a junk yard rebuild with very strong parts on the cheap and have a nice axle the dana 60 is a good choice but i believe a ford 9 inch is lighter and just a little weaker but the nine inch is nice cause u can rebiuld it with it in the car it unbolts apart very easily and can aslo be built very strong and has great aftermarket support
Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

I had this conversation with sam strano. He wasn't too happy with the weight of the rear but I'm in a simular situation. I like both drag racing and autoxing the car. So with a supercharger in the future I went with the s60. There are always trade offs. But I'm glad to see someone else was thinking the same thing. I kept tossing arond in my head if I made the right decision on my rear.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:11 PM
9 Second Club

ran across these weights a few months back...

weight w/brakes---12-bolt=190 lbs, 9"=205 lbs, S60=215 lbs. ...

the S60 isn't as heavy as people make it out to be.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

How does that compare to the 10 bolt? That may be where the difference lies.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a 9 inch with an alum center section can get with in a few pounds of a 10 bolt im told. same deal, want the best of the both worlds.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could counter some of the weight buying very light rims

But most of the time light weight wheels are not cheap
Old 03-21-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by subarubill96
a 9 inch with an alum center section can get with in a few pounds of a 10 bolt im told. same deal, want the best of the both worlds.
Hes mostly looking at getting the best setup for the money.

The S60 is cheaper than the other rearends and very strong.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

I guess no one has the weight of the stock 10 bolt with brakes?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

well after digging around the 10 bolt is aprox 175 pounds
so that puts the s60 40 pounds heavier than the 10 bolt
I just got mine and it is a monster I'll just have to get creative to shed some pounds
Old 04-03-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a midwest fab 9in and it with an alum center section weighs less than the stock 10 bolt.
I went Iron for long term street life and quietness and it came out 7 lbs more than my stock 10 bolt. Also went with the full length TA as the short TA sucks for handleing.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BillS
I have a midwest fab 9in and it with an alum center section weighs less than the stock 10 bolt.
I went Iron for long term street life and quietness and it came out 7 lbs more than my stock 10 bolt. Also went with the full length TA as the short TA sucks for handleing.
damn, Thats definitely something I want to invest iin

if it weighs less than the damn 10 bolt!!

RIght now I have a 12 bolt, because I too drag race and raod race my car..

and I have the lighter aluminum cover, trutrac 12 bolt w 3.73s.. and I still felt a huge difference in cornering and was experienceing wheelhop on decel..
Old 04-22-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a strange 12 bolt with 33 spline axles and the super strength posi. STAY AWAY FROM IT!!! The modified eaton posi is a PITA and does not work well for road coarse stuff if you are on R compounds and have substantial latteral grip. I can burn the right inside tire even with the 900# springs in the diff. They DO NOT offer a true trac or any other diff due to the way the splines are on the axles. Been working though this problem for the last couple years. I am not lifting the inside tire, and have tried softer rear bars to try to eliminate it. I just starts pushing with the softer bar. I didn't have this problem before I started using real r compounds like the 710s. The stroker motor and all the bottom end torque didn't help the situation either

I am still half tempted to try the true trac even though it supposedly is loose on the splines....

I used to drag the car and got a 12 bolt as a result of blowing the 10 bolt. I then switched to AX so I just run what I have. Also, 3 channel abs instead of hte 4 channel causes even more issues..... you have to get the diff machined to accept the reluctor. If I switch the diff, I would have to have strange machine it down and tig weld the reluctor to the diff like it is now.

From what I have found, i have a common problem with my clutch type posi vs the others available.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as an added bonus to the midwest 9in, I just read that it will soon be avail set up for a watts link
Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MBC Racing
I have a strange 12 bolt with 33 spline axles and the super strength posi. STAY AWAY FROM IT!!! The modified eaton posi is a PITA and does not work well for road coarse stuff if you are on R compounds and have substantial latteral grip. I can burn the right inside tire even with the 900# springs in the diff. They DO NOT offer a true trac or any other diff due to the way the splines are on the axles. Been working though this problem for the last couple years. I am not lifting the inside tire, and have tried softer rear bars to try to eliminate it. I just starts pushing with the softer bar. I didn't have this problem before I started using real r compounds like the 710s. The stroker motor and all the bottom end torque didn't help the situation either

I am still half tempted to try the true trac even though it supposedly is loose on the splines....

I used to drag the car and got a 12 bolt as a result of blowing the 10 bolt. I then switched to AX so I just run what I have. Also, 3 channel abs instead of hte 4 channel causes even more issues..... you have to get the diff machined to accept the reluctor. If I switch the diff, I would have to have strange machine it down and tig weld the reluctor to the diff like it is now.

From what I have found, i have a common problem with my clutch type posi vs the others available.
your rearend sounds very similar to mine, except the company and the type od Limited slip...

Quick Reply: Has anyone used a Dana S60 rear end while autox or roadracing?