Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Harness holes too small?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The belts we sold you will bolt right in. You will have to use a die grinder to open the hole up some for the shank of the bolt or you can go to the hardware store(or a bolt supply) and get 2 bolts without the shank.

225-343-9029
Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-eye...?productid=883

these are the specific ones i used. they also come in a shorter version, but same pitch. screwed right in, no problems. i havent swapped yet, but i cant imagine GM changing the pitch of threads between 3rd and 4th gens.
"1/2" Eyebolt, Nut, & Washer used to mount harness directly to floor pan of vehicle. 50mm long bolt"
And that would be the ONLY SAE threaded nut on the whole car, other than motor. Be careful here, brother.

Originally Posted by MADMAN
The belts we sold you will bolt right in. You will have to use a die grinder to open the hole up some for the shank of the bolt or you can go to the hardware store(or a bolt supply) and get 2 bolts without the shank.
That is typically how it works. I don't recall any belt not having to have that done.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to find some bolts without the shank, but I can't find any. And it seems like others have a hard time finding them as well.

Where can I get them? And what size, thread, and pitch are they?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like I said ...

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I have been unable to find a bolt of sufficient hardness that has the same thread and pitch so that I could eliminate the shouldered torx bolt.

If you are dead set on using the stock mounting point, you only have 2 options. open up the hole of the harness or use the supplied hardware that came with your harness.

Opening up the hole is not that big of a deal. Your referenced link, while true, is probably a little over the top. If you take your time, be smooth and be careful, the issues javajoe sensationalized will be of minimal concern.

Using the supplied hardware brings along it's own set of issues. Primarily, installing the bolts or eyebolt in the rocker panel side. In my race car, I used a cut-off wheel and made an access panel in the botom of the rocker panel so that I could get a wrench on the backing nut after I installed the harness' eyebolt. Once finished, I made a cover and riveted it in place to seal the hole I created. I used windshield sealer to prevent water intrusion.

In my street car, I opened the hole of the harness tab with a die grinder.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Since Madman had suggested this, I was asking him for clarification.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Look, this is no different than installing a set of headers, for instance, that are "direct bolt-ons".

Yet you have to maybe re-route a little wiring, extend an O2 wire, maybe massage the floor pan or cross member or be careful going over speed bumps. It comes with the territory.

This issue is minor in comparison to other modifications one makes in order to upgrade or add performance parts. This isn't a shift **** or carbon fiber overlay. This is the component that keeps your butt in place in case something really, really bad happens.

I know of no lap harness that has the size needed to fit over the shoulder of a stock torx bolt.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I found some grade 10.9 hardware and used that to bolt my harness in place in the stock location. The stock threads are metric but the size and pitch are not unique. There are plenty of high quality bolts that can be purchased that will work. I ended up double nutting the bolt right at the shoulder to use as a stop and then I torqued the bolt to the GM factory specs when I installed it.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
Actually I found some grade 10.9 hardware and used that to bolt my harness in place in the stock location. The stock threads are metric but the size and pitch are not unique. There are plenty of high quality bolts that can be purchased that will work. I ended up double nutting the bolt right at the shoulder to use as a stop and then I torqued the bolt to the GM factory specs when I installed it.
Very nice. Where'd you find these bolts?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll never guess/believe it: Ace Hardware. They've got a really nice selection of fasteners and not only do they carry lots of sizes, but they are also high quality, not China knock-offs, which is indicated by the class ID and the Manufacture ID on the head of the bolts and nuts.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Dude.....

I just sent my harnesses to Stroud yesterday...! LOL why couldn't you have posted yesterday lol.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Dude.....

I just sent my harnesses to Stroud yesterday...! LOL why couldn't you have posted yesterday lol.
why did you send them back to Stroud?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

to see if they could put a different metal piece in it with a slightly larger hole.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

We did this to a buddys trans am the other day. What we did was grind down the shoulder on the factory torx head bolt. It worked great went right in.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude.....

Sorry I was slow, but it appears to be my nature.

BTW, do you still have stock seats or did you replace them with a real racing seat? If you have the stock seat then returning the harness was a good idea because I found that the shoulder straps of the harness didn't do jack to hold me into a stock seat. However once I upgraded to a racing seat, the harness is a must have.

If you choose to repurchase a harness I can't recommond a cam-lock style latch strong enough. I have the latch-lock style cause I wanted to save $30/harness and I totally regret it. The latch lock is such a pain to belt in compared to the cam lock.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

You'll never guess/believe it: Ace Hardware.
Damn ... around here, big Blue and big Orange have run the little guys out of business.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man I'm sorry to hear that. Ever since my FSAE days back in college I've used Ace Hardware fasteners for all my automotive needs.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
We did this to a buddys trans am the other day. What we did was grind down the shoulder on the factory torx head bolt. It worked great went right in.

What did you use to hold the bolt while you were grinding it?

Sorry I was slow, but it appears to be my nature.

BTW, do you still have stock seats or did you replace them with a real racing seat? If you have the stock seat then returning the harness was a good idea because I found that the shoulder straps of the harness didn't do jack to hold me into a stock seat. However once I upgraded to a racing seat, the harness is a must have.

If you choose to repurchase a harness I can't recommond a cam-lock style latch strong enough. I have the latch-lock style cause I wanted to save $30/harness and I totally regret it. The latch lock is such a pain to belt in compared to the cam lock.
I have TA seats, so they go through the headrest easily. You weren't using them with Camaro seats right?!? Dangerous. I didn't return them, i just sent the side belts in to see if they can put a bigger metal tab on them that can fit the bolt. They should receive them soon and I should have an answer.

If they can't do anything, then I guess ACE hardware and possibly grinding the shoulder of the stock bolt are secondary options.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

you coulda saved alot of time with a die grinder.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

and compromised the safety of the harness.

Stroud said specifically NOT to do that.

It would have been nice to be told that these would not fit the stock bolts when I ordered them. Perhaps you should tell other customers that when they order.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

and compromised the safety of the harness.

Stroud said specifically NOT to do that.

It would have been nice to be told that these would not fit the stock bolts when I ordered them. Perhaps you should tell other customers that when they order.
Stroud did that to cover their ***, insurance-wise.

There is no issue doing this

Quick Reply: Harness holes too small?