Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Harness holes too small?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, did you get a 5 point or a 6 point harness? How do you plan on attaching the anti-sub belts of either one?

I have a 6 pt and I run the subs under my thighs and through the seat's lap belt holes and down to the lap belt mount.

Also, how to you plan on attaching the shoulder belts? Mine are attached to a harness bar.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Stroud did that to cover their ***, insurance-wise.

There is no issue doing this
Maybe. I'd prefer not to take on that risk.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
BTW, did you get a 5 point or a 6 point harness? How do you plan on attaching the anti-sub belts of either one?

I have a 6 pt and I run the subs under my thighs and through the seat's lap belt holes and down to the lap belt mount.

Also, how to you plan on attaching the shoulder belts? Mine are attached to a harness bar.

5pt. Anti-sub? The crotch strap? I have a crotch strap bar bolted to the front seat mounts.

Shoulder belts are wrapped around my cage.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
and compromised the safety of the harness.

Stroud said specifically NOT to do that.

It would have been nice to be told that these would not fit the stock bolts when I ordered them. Perhaps you should tell other customers that when they order.
this has never been an issue for any other customer since we have become a dealer for stroud.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

5pt. Anti-sub? The crotch strap? I have a crotch strap bar bolted to the front seat mounts.

Shoulder belts are wrapped around my cage.

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly from a safety stand point.

The crotch strap prevents you from submarining under the lap belt during a frontal impact, which is why it's called the "anti-submarine" belt. It does take quite a load if it's every brought into play, so you can imagine what can happen to your body in that area. That's one of the reasons I went to a 6 point harness.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mad_steve_08
this has never been an issue for any other customer since we have become a dealer for stroud.
maybe I'm just the only one that wants to do things by the book?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
It sounds like you are doing everything correctly from a safety stand point.

The crotch strap prevents you from submarining under the lap belt during a frontal impact, which is why it's called the "anti-submarine" belt. It does take quite a load if it's every brought into play, so you can imagine what can happen to your body in that area. That's one of the reasons I went to a 6 point harness.
ah, yeah. Better to hit your sack, than die. I imagine it hurts, but living is good too lol.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, but with the 6 point there is no load placed in the most critical area of your body
Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We used a pair of pliers to hold it while we ground down the shoulder of the bolt. Works fine now. EDIT: we used a bench grinder not a handheld
Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

you hold it by the head or the threads?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

The threads. Just becareful not to damage them.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

So let me understand .... increasing the hole size by 1/32" in the belt tab is a safety issue, but grinding away bolt material and tempering it in the process, is OK?

That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long while.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Man this guy WTF?? Hes considering GRINDING a bolt but not modding the tab??????????????

ANYWAY, I put my drag belts in the factory holes. But I wanted a straighter "pull" on the belts. If you use a straight "lace" tab they are pressed up against the floor when bolted down which makes the belts pull at an angle.

I found a place called Pegasus Racing who have tabs that are bent at an angle that you lace on the end of the lab belt they pull straight when bolted down.

I went to the bolt and screw store and bought grade 10.9 bolts and put in mine. SIMPLE!

Here ya go.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=2388

All KINDS of cool stuff on this site, enjoy!

Just incase yall wanted some 411.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 02-06-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You can get bolts that are the right thread right from lowes or home depot, just bring the existing torx bolt with you, find a nut that will thread on and then get the corrosponding bolt, simple.

If you still have to open the holes up a touch, the stone bit that a dremel comes with will do it, that's what I have used.

Opening that hole up, is not going to effect anything safety wise.

If you hit something hard enough to break that metal you're dead anyway.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

UM Let me get this straight! I didnt say not to enlarge the diameter of the hole. I was just letting him know a lternative that we did. Grinding just the shoulder of the bolt will not affect anything strong wise. Either way is fine and will work. If you snap a bolt that big or rip through metal that thick your internal organs are done anyways.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, Stroud talked to me after looking at it and said theres nothing they can do, which is pathetic since they make the damn stuff. I guess its time to hit up ACE and see what they got.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Banned

IIRC, The RCI 6-point in my personal car bolted in without modifying anything. You may want to look into their tabs and just thread your harness' into them.

Danny
Old 02-12-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Use a die grinder. The harness mounts are made for standard bolts as that is what the majority of the racers use. Since you have metric bolts you will have to open them up.
Brian(and all other american fabricators), its the 21st century. welcome to it. we use metric in the automotive world now a days, lol (j/k. busting Brians chops here)

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
...but i cant imagine GM changing the pitch of threads between 3rd and 4th gens.
are you kidding me? hello, late 70s early 80s america was still in the stone ages(standard bolts). they took the generation change as a chance to step into modern times(metric bolts). refer to the above note to Brian, lol.

...Better to hit your sack, than die...
Hey, lets keep things in proper prospective here.

In all seriousness, i haven't heard of a single person being hurt in a Madman chassis. if its 4th gen f-body chassis related, and i would say safety mount stuff is, if Brian says its ok, its ok. he's smarter than he looks(and acts sometimes), lol.

oh, and +1 for the camlock vs the latch style.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

Wow...this thread is ridiculous. OP may want to have his 5 point harness installed by someone else.
I might as well hijack it and ask some decent questions.
I am looking to buy a 5 point harness, and mount in a TA with stock seats and stock mounting locations, i do have tabs welded on my cage. So all you have to do is drill out the harness a little bit for it to work with the neck on the stock bolt? Sweet. Has anyone mounted thier seat belt and 5 point at the same locations? It would be nice to have both.
What do you do for mounting of the crotch strap? Drill a hole in the floor under the seat with a washer on each side?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nahasapeemapetalon
Wow...this thread is ridiculous. OP may want to have his 5 point harness installed by someone else.
I might as well hijack it and ask some decent questions.
I am looking to buy a 5 point harness, and mount in a TA with stock seats and stock mounting locations, i do have tabs welded on my cage. So all you have to do is drill out the harness a little bit for it to work with the neck on the stock bolt? Sweet. Has anyone mounted thier seat belt and 5 point at the same locations? It would be nice to have both.
What do you do for mounting of the crotch strap? Drill a hole in the floor under the seat with a washer on each side?
I would be careful trying to "stack" the factory belts in the same place as a race set of belts. The further you stack out that bolt that holds both of them the less strength it has.

As far as the crotch strap, Madman makes a bar that bolts to the front feet on the seat mount. Or do like I did, there is a rib in the floor under the seat that sticks up, I drilled through the rib and installed an "eye" bolt with 2 THICK LARGE washers on both sides. I laced a "clip" on the end of my crotch belt and clipped it on the "eye" bolt.

Quick Reply: Harness holes too small?