Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Harness holes too small?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you just found a clip to connect your strap to the eyebolt? As opposed to bolting the harness strap right to the floor?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the crotch strap, I cut a piece of 1" x 1" square tube that would span the two front seat mounts, aligne the tube, marked for the holes and drilled them out just big enough to allow the factory stud to clear without raking acros the threads.

I then angle cut the ends of the tubing, exposing enough of the stud to get the flanged nut on the stud.

Then put the square tube over the studs and tighten, sandwiching the seat mount to the floor.

Technically, the mount should be directly under your ***. But this works better than nothing.

I drilled out my 5-point lap belt clips in my street car and piggy-backed the factory and 5-point laps belts on the same bolt. The only issue is that they didn't pivot like the factory lap belt did. Just wasn't enough room. The shouldered bolt still bottomed out. So there was no issue with leverage.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mitchntx
For the crotch strap, I cut a piece of 1" x 1" square tube that would span the two front seat mounts, aligne the tube, marked for the holes and drilled them out just big enough to allow the factory stud to clear without raking acros the threads.

I then angle cut the ends of the tubing, exposing enough of the stud to get the flanged nut on the stud.

Then put the square tube over the studs and tighten, sandwiching the seat mount to the floor.

Technically, the mount should be directly under your ***. But this works better than nothing.

I drilled out my 5-point lap belt clips in my street car and piggy-backed the factory and 5-point laps belts on the same bolt. The only issue is that they didn't pivot like the factory lap belt did. Just wasn't enough room. The shouldered bolt still bottomed out. So there was no issue with leverage.

Good to know thanks. ON a stock seat how should the crotch strap be routed? What good would it do to go over the front of the seat? wouldnt it almost have to go back under your butt through the seat and to the floor?
Have to look at it when i order and get the harness.
The two shoulder straps will be tied together and bolted to my cage, the other 2 waist straps will go in stock mounting areas.

Vbelt style looks to be handy for seats that dont have individual holes for shoulder belts of the harness.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nahasapeemapetalon
So you just found a clip to connect your strap to the eyebolt? As opposed to bolting the harness strap right to the floor?

Yes, most seat belt companies or Pegasus Racing make clips that you lace on the end of the belt so you can take belts in and out of the car easily. They require "eye" bolts to hook them to.

NOTE!!! DO NOT GO TO LOWES OR HOME DEPOT TO GET THE EYE BOLTS, GET THEM FROM A SEAT BELT COMPANY!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nahasapeemapetalon
ON a stock seat how should the crotch strap be routed? What good would it do to go over the front of the seat?
Marginal, but still better than nothing. You will slide forward some, but it will keep you in the seat. also, don't forget, a side benefit is that with the crotch strap attached to the buckled laps and everything snugged, when you pull your shoulder strapes tight, it keeps the laps from riding up your beer gut.

I have wrap-around style shoulder belts.And I use small, lightweight roll bar clamps to keep them from walking. A wrapped "Y" belt is REAL bad about walking.

A seat without shoulder guides needs something to hold the belts together behind the seat so that they don't walk off your shoulders.

A piece of 2" velcro works pretty good. I bought a piece that looked like heavy fabric "handcuffs". Each shoulder belt went through a cuff and then around the head rest of my stock seat. That worked great, but I have no idea where I bought it.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

i wouldnt even bother using a crotch strap with a stock seat. its almost useless, and many organisations wont allow a 5pt without a proper seat. with the crotch strap run all the way to the front of the seat, it will actually pull the rest of the harness away from you instead of keeping it tight. youd have to slide nearly a foot for the strap to actually do what its intended for.....and by that time youre into the dash.

it will also keep the lap belts from running up with the shoulder belts. of course i DONT have a beer gut, but it will do the same. i have a stock seat in my 86 with a 4pt, and cant get it as tight as i can in my 02 with a proper 5pt. if you want the 5pt to do anything, get a seat that can take a 5pt. otherwise, use a 4pt.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could do a 6 point with a stock seat (actually I wouldn't do a harness with a stock seat because there are not the proper provisions to keep the harness in place). The two crotch straps of the 6 point can connect to the stock lap belt bolt locations. Basically you sit on these two straps and then bring them up between your legs. Works great, and it's a legal/legitimate configuration.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
You could do a 6 point with a stock seat (actually I wouldn't do a harness with a stock seat because there are not the proper provisions to keep the harness in place). The two crotch straps of the 6 point can connect to the stock lap belt bolt locations. Basically you sit on these two straps and then bring them up between your legs. Works great, and it's a legal/legitimate configuration.
So those harness tabs would double up on the stock mounts? One for the lapbelt and one for the leg?

Dont see 6 points often...
Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep that's exactly right. 6 points are very common these days, especially in the road race world. Check out this website, it's where i got mine, and I wish I had bought the cam lock instead of the latch lock.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

heres mine

Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow

so bothcrotch belts are mounted at the same point, follow the same path, and both wrap around the same leg and into the latch?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

no, seperate legs. itll make sort of an X when its hooked up, with the cross right over your junk.

Quick Reply: Harness holes too small?