Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Oil Starvation Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Starvation Problems?

Whats the most popular way to eliminate oil starvation problems on an LSX motor? Scavenge dry sump, crank scrapper, baffled pan or all? Thanks
Old 04-12-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

easiest is to overfill by a quart, and keep checking it throughout the day. the next cheapest, but hard to do, is a baffle, which im getting done this week. the rest are very expensive and intensive to do, but of course work. all depends on how serious you are about road racing, and how much money you want to spend. if youve ever got the motor already out, or are doing motor work, the baffle is the best and easiest. put it in and forget it.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
easiest is to overfill by a quart, and keep checking it throughout the day. the next cheapest, but hard to do, is a baffle, which im getting done this week. the rest are very expensive and intensive to do, but of course work. all depends on how serious you are about road racing, and how much money you want to spend. if youve ever got the motor already out, or are doing motor work, the baffle is the best and easiest. put it in and forget it.
Where can you get a baffle from? Or is it a baffled pan? I have found crank scrapers but don't know much about how crank scrapers work on V8's. I've used them on my race car for years and it has worked really well. The car i'm building will be a very high downforce car so that's the reason for the oil starvation concern. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Baffle for LS1

http://www.improvedracing.com/produc...c96249b3ad4652
Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Teching In

thanks man
Old 04-13-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

thats where i got mine from
Old 04-13-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

improved racings baffle is awesome, i put one in the other month with a melling pump...but i have other issues i need to sort out
Old 04-14-2009, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Accusump is the only sure way.

I know in the RX7's we can push it so much harder then a F body we tend to have more trouble then anyone.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Accusump is the best bang for the buck!!!! I even put a canton pan on my 383 ls1 and it didn't solve the problem. For what that thing cost, it was a waste of money and a PITA to install. You have to run a remote filter and run -12 oil lines..... Anyway, the accusump is still dumping oil into the motor on my runs at Black Hawk Farms and Autobahn. If I had to do it again, I would use the stock pan and the new baffle thing that is available and DEFINITElY use an accusump. Mine is set up withe 40 or so PSI pressure switch that basically will feed the motor anytime the oil pressure drops below 40 psi. I have it on a switch that keeps it from filling my motor when it is not running and the key is on. I smoked the bearings on my motor due to starvation in one season prior to getting the accusump and have 3 seasons on the new motor with no oiling issues.... at least non concerning getting oil to the bearings. Getting the oil back down to the pan has been a different story....
Old 04-23-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MBC Racing, what size are you running 2 or 3 qt, and where are you locating it. and where are you tapping into the pressure side of the motor. Been thinking of going this direction unstead of pulling the K-member to just chance out the pan baffel
Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by toadzq8
MBC Racing, what size are you running 2 or 3 qt, and where are you locating it. and where are you tapping into the pressure side of the motor. Been thinking of going this direction unstead of pulling the K-member to just chance out the pan baffel

Running a 3 qt. I made some brackets that attach to the bottom of the lower radiator support and mounted the accusump right behind the radiator at the bottom. It is parallel to the ground. It is sandwhiched between the motor and radiator. Plenty of space. I hooked into the pressure side differently than you would since i had to run a remote oil filter with the canton pan. Canton sells an adapter that screws on where your oil filter goes and then your filter attaches to it. The accusump attaches to the adapter. Go on canton's site and there is some decent info on them. I would take a pic, but my car is in piecies and the accu is out. It was WELL WORTH the money I spent on it. As a bonus, it primes your engine with oil when you go to start it. I just flick the switch on and off briefly and see the oil pressure gage go up. Then i fire it up. You can do it cheaply with no pressure switch, and just a valve, or with the electric switch and seperate on off switch. I wanted the on off switch so I didn't have to worry about dumping 3 extra qts in my motor when I was doing something with the key in the on position.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great! thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Oil Starvation Problems?