Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

new Kumhos...is this a substitute for buying them shaved?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Kumhos...is this a substitute for buying them shaved?

got a good deal on some new Kumho V700's from a friend....i wanted to get some that were shaved but this was too good to pass up

what i'm wondering is: can you achieve the same effect as buying shaved tires by simply racking up some daily driver miles? is it only a matter of getting them worn down to a "better" tread depth, or are there other factors to consider?

i've talked to some people who think that r-compound tires have only x number of heat cycles available in their lifetime, before they give out and don't grip any more......is this true? because if it is then i guess it's a bad idea to try and wear them down by daily driving

are there any hard, empirical facts on this issue, or is it just a matter of opinion?

lee
Old 11-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Launching!

I buy my Victoracers full tread depth and run them that way.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Race tires do have a finite life, and it's most certainly related to the number of heat cycles they go through. If you daily drive on them you will cut their competitive life dramatically. However, if you're not out to win, but just want a more responsive tire, then by all means, go ahead.

If I was just looking for a sticky daily driver tire I'd go with the Nitto 555 RII. It has pretty good life even after many heat cycles.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Teching In

I autocross w/ v700's that had a practice, qualifing, & race on them. They were ok for a while but got hard as they they aged. I treated them & that helped for a few events.
As for the street, the cycles kill them in a perfect world, but ok at some local events.
Anyhow, check around locally for a store that shaves tires.
later
babyhauler