Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Turn One Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
What you dont want a trophy?

I feel the same way...but running it out there is the perfect place to learn how to drive, tune the car and have fun doing it safely!!!!!!

it's fun as ****...to compete with other cars who post similar times
there are other organizations that run autoxs
Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just now had time to watch all of it....mitch nice overtake on the stang! it looks like you all almost bumped a little!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost? Let's just say we exchanged insurance information post race.

Nothing significant. I got a little tire mark and he got a swatch of white on his door. When every one is going the same direction and about the same speed, contact really doesn't do a lot of damage.

That was a bonehead move on my part. I was fixated on the red/white Camaro ahead and wanted as much angle for turn-in to turn one as I could get to go catch him.

Chris, the mustang owner was not happy with me post race. But, I made a point of finding him and we worked it out.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

I need to invest in this
Old 06-25-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

i did and had my first track day with it. my old pump whined so loud you could hear it over the exhaust, and thats really saying something. not a squeak out of the new turn one.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Teching In

I had Turn one rebuild my rack and pump, honesly didn't notice much of a difference at low speeds
Old 08-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Echo - I've been trying to get a hold of Turn One for questions, but I have a few questions:

- What is needed in replacing the stock unit that I would need to purchase from Turn One? (Im assuming just the pump but I wanted to make sure there isn't anything else...planning on purchasing the pulley as well for ease in future endeavors. )

- How long did the install take you?

- Anything to be extra careful on?

I plan on getting the pulley remover/installer from autozone like you suggested.

FYI, I blew a leak in my stock pump from one road course day at Roebling Road in my LS swapped 240sx...Boiled, and then has been leaking ever since.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not EM, but ....

Make sure you tell TO that you are using the stock hoses so that they can install the correct fittings in the pump.

It takes a couple hours ... mostly getting the stock pump off.

Its very straightforward.

If you get the TO pulley, it is "spoked". So have them install it on the pump. It comes safety wired. You can get to the pump mounting bolt heads through the spokes.

Getting the old pump off is an exercise is patience. There is one bolt that is extremely tough to get to. Its on the upper left side. Do it last and as you loosen it, pull the pump towards you to maintain some clearance to get to the bolt head. You basically get to turn the bolt one flat at a time with an open end wrench.

Or, being as you will never use that plastic pulley ever again, drill a hole in it to gain access to the bolt head.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks! Do you happen to know the cost of pulley and pump? Im assuming its much more durable and able to handle the heat right?

Thanks again
Old 08-24-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I first started using TO pumps 10 years ago, they were over $300 with the pulley. We found them because the LSx motor used to be a spec motor in ASA racing. Not sure the price is today.

We have since discovered Power Steering Components, a company that specializes in hydraulic systems for Trophy Trucks, rock crawlers and monster trucks.

Send them your pump and ~$100 and you get the same rebuild and valving as the TO pump. They have been turning them around in a day for us. They'll even swap the pulley for you or sell you one, if you prefer.

We now have of these PSC pumps in cars that race with us. There seems to be a little more audible whine with their pump at tidle when the fluid gets hot. But there is no degraded performance.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
We now have of these PSC pumps in cars that race with us. There seems to be a little more audible whine with their pump at tidle when the fluid gets hot. But there is no degraded performance.
What fluid are you running?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Redline
Old 08-30-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

I just installed my turn one pump (install was easy) and pulley and ran it at the local autocross today - the steering feels more responsive at speed, and it didn't vent all over the alternator after 5 runs in mid 90s Texas heat. It's also really nice to hear the exhaust again - no more PS pump whine!!! I should have done this long ago - well worth it!

Quick Reply: Turn One Power Steering Pump