Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Higher viscosity oil for oil pressures? What oil do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabre002
And your saying M1 did this to your motor? Rather then racing it? I'm just not seeing your point here. I dont know of any oil that is going to stop a rod from being pulled apart. That rod jornal still looks pretty good after what it went through.

Also here is all the motor info on his car I did the rebuild on it

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/v8-rx-7-bu...-sabre002.html
I'm posting my personal experience, take from it what you will. The 'racing' involved was lots of second gear only local autocross events - if you think thats fine, more power to you. Motor was also stock compression, no FI, stock rev limiter - you get the point.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01badz28
I'm posting my personal experience, take from it what you will. The 'racing' involved was lots of second gear only local autocross events - if you think thats fine, more power to you. Motor was also stock compression, no FI, stock rev limiter - you get the point.
No I dont get your point we all know the stock rods even in stock trim are the weak point. That is mine. I just dont see how you can say that racing it was not a contributing factor in your stock motors demise rather than your oil choice. I have tore down a hand full of motors like that and you can tell when the oil or lack there of was the cause and it always shows it at the rod bearings. It is the tightest clearance in the motor.

I have seen quite a few stock LS1’s have issues and on the other had I have seen stock ones take 200 hits. Sometimes you’re lucky, others you’re not.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kukri
I literally have thought of everything as far as motor parts go to not have oil issues. I do have shimmed newer oil pump. I'll switch oil and see where it goes. I've got the baffle and everything else I could think of. Motor hasn't been beat on hard either, recently built. Will find out what running different oil does. Redline tech recommended 10W40, but he also said if I'm getting at least 10psi at idle after a run, I'm fine. I'm going to get more info from Amsoil, Katech and maybe more places to see what they say on viscosity of the oil. Maybe motor itself has a lot to do with the oil viscosity, temperature. I don't know what your setup is but I'm running almost 11:1 compression making 465 at the wheels on 12.2 A/F tune. So it's possible that it gets hotter than in your car, quicker. As far as cooling I'm not sure how affective it is in this car versus F-body or Corvette cooling system, either, that could have something to do with it. I did run 5W30 as well comparing to you running 10W30, I don't know how much difference that would be though.
Let us know how you make out with the other recommendations and your results on track. What size lines did you plumb your cooler/accusump with? Use good full flow fittings to limit restriction? What cooler are you running? I doubt you cut any corners on this stuff given the rest of car, just kind of thinking out loud, that's all.

Chris
Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD
Let us know how you make out with the other recommendations and your results on track. What size lines did you plumb your cooler/accusump with? Use good full flow fittings to limit restriction? What cooler are you running? I doubt you cut any corners on this stuff given the rest of car, just kind of thinking out loud, that's all.

Chris
Chris,

The Lines are all -10 stuff with full open swivel Eral's fittings. The oil cooler is a factory Mazda RX7 unit in the stock location. As seen here are the ports into the cooler it self that would have to be the smallest port size in the system.

These are the dual coolers that come in the R1 we used one for oil and one for power steering in my car. Roman's car has just the oil cooler casue it has no PS

Here is the full accusump and plumbing setup on his car.

When the Accusump in turned on the oil pressure responce in instant to the gauge. The sender is in the factory location at the rear of the block so it does have a good distance to travel.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Also wonder if you got the wrong switch and it's really the 55-60 PSI one?

Cameron
Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

I dont think so cause you can have the system on at idle and the pressue in the accusump will not move. Cause it will be charged at about 60PSI from the fill process.

Last edited by Sabre002; 08-31-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got to talk with Jason at Katech today. He told me about what I thought he would. On the street he said to run Mobil 1 5W-30. Then for the track to run 15W-50 Mobil 1 as well. He said that they use it in everything from his car to the C6R race car engines. He said as far as he knows M1 is still a full synthetic and has not heard anything to make him think other wise.

I think I'm going to stick with what works for me here and stay with the M1 and a Wix filter. Also the pressures he said are right on the money with any LS1 on a track day but said to step it up to 15W50 to deal with the heat a little better.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is Mobil 1 his sponsor?

Do some research for yourself on the Mobil 1 5W30 and you'll change your mind on that particular weight. So far, all Ive read says that is the ONLY one that has been affected by the bean counters to make it cheaper while keeping the price on it the same.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

They are just the Engine builders for the cars Pratt and Miller is the race team with the sponsor. So I dont belive they have M1 as a sponsor but I did not ask him that.

I have been looking up all these clams and have not come across anything to support this talk about M1. Even looked around on the oil guys website. I mean where are you guy getting this?

I also ran Mobil 1 10W30 in my 24 hour of lemons car and had no issue at all. Just kept up on oil consumption and nothing went wrong. Changed the filter for day two and kept trucking.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya cause thats why every cup car I ever worked on ran M1 right cause its so bad.
Are you saying they run off-the-shelf Mobil-1 5W-30, or that the bottle said "Mobil-1" on it?

Exxon-Mobil has a very spiffy racing lubricant program whose products bear little/no resemblance to the stuff we get at the parts store. It's unlikely that Cup teams were using plain old 5W-30, but you seem to have firsthand knowledge so please clue us in.

It is fact that Bondurant's school runs Mobil-1 15W-50 in their LSx engines, and they've been doing it for years rather than 5W-30.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crainholio
Are you saying they run off-the-shelf Mobil-1 5W-30, or that the bottle said "Mobil-1" on it?

Exxon-Mobil has a very spiffy racing lubricant program whose products bear little/no resemblance to the stuff we get at the parts store. It's unlikely that Cup teams were using plain old 5W-30, but you seem to have firsthand knowledge so please clue us in.

It is fact that Bondurant's school runs Mobil-1 15W-50 in their LSx engines, and they've been doing it for years rather than 5W-30.
if he really worked on a cup car youd think hed know that already. in almost every top level form of racing, they use specific racing oil. the oil doesnt HAVE a cold rating, as in 5w30. the oil never gets cold. they use oil/fluid warmers before the car even starts. thats what those big tool box looking things are behing the cup cars when theyre waiting on the grid. the hoses coming in and out of them run to the oil, water, and trans fluids. what they run is probably something like a straight 50 weight. im sure the oil never sees temps below 150, so it doesnt need a cold weight at all.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Now the teams have moved to Joe gibs racing oil. This was part because it was developed for them to start. Yes I know without a shadow of a doubt on the hooters car I bought 15W50 from the store and put it in the race car myself.

As for when I was at Roush we had M1, 55 gal barrels I did not get to inspect them much. As for the heaters they are built into the car them self now. The oil tank has the coils in it. But you seem to know more from watching TV then I do don’t ya.

Just because you have a hard on for M1, and keep telling people to do their own homework. Which I did as you suggested. I could find nothing backing up your clams so how about present them if you would. I would like to be informed here about anything you can pull up. Something a little more specific than a full forum this time please.

Last edited by Sabre002; 09-02-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll post fully cited references if you'll bring your spelling up to the 8th grade level. Deal?

And speaking of specifics, what spec was the "M1" in the barrels? Was it 5W-30 street oil?

You're trying to say that because race teams buy an unspecified Mobil-1 product, all Mobil-1 products are of the same quality.

You either:

1.) don't know which Mobil-1 oil the team was buying, or
2.) are making this up as you go along, or
3.) haven't gotten around to telling us yet.

Now the teams have moved to Joe gibs racing oil. This was part because it was developed for them to start. Yes I know with out a shadow of a drought on the hooters car I bought 15W50 from the store and put it in the race car myself.

As for when I was at Roush we had M1 55 gal barrels I did not get to inspect them much. As for the heaters they are built into the car them self now. The oil tank has the coils in it. But you seem to know more from watching TV then I do don’t ya.

Just because you have a hard on for M1, and keep telling people to do there own homework, witch I did as you suggested. I could find nothing backing up your clames so how about present them if you would. I would like to be informed here about anything you can pull up. Something a little more specific then a full forum this time please.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by crainholio
I'll post fully cited references if you'll bring your spelling up to the 8th grade level. Deal?

And speaking of specifics, what spec was the "M1" in the barrels? Was it 5W-30 street oil?

You're trying to say that because race teams buy an unspecified Mobil-1 product, all Mobil-1 products are of the same quality.

You either:

1.) don't know which Mobil-1 oil the team was buying, or
2.) are making this up as you go along, or
3.) haven't gotten around to telling us yet.
I'm not here to argue with you about my spelling or what I do I'm here for info so if you are going to attack me and not post info don’t come into this thread.

I just said if you would read my last post I did not get to inspect the barrels at Roush. But you must have missed that. As I said before I bought the oil for the hooters team I worked at and it was Mobil 1 15W50 from car quest. I don’t know how to say that any simpler.

Can we get past the point that we don’t agree on oils and start posting info. Or are we going to bitch all day about what each likes best for no reason. We already know the other guy likes his cold **** over M1 what’s your story.

Everyone I talk to outside of this site keeps telling me to use M1 15W50 for the track. from engine builders, LS1 tuners, road race builders.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Launching!

No I dont get your point we all know the stock rods even in stock trim are the weak point. That is mine. I just dont see how you can say that racing it was not a contributing factor in your stock motors demise rather than your oil choice. I have tore down a hand full of motors like that and you can tell when the oil or lack there of was the cause and it always shows it at the rod bearings. It is the tightest clearance in the motor.

I have seen quite a few stock LS1’s have issues and on the other had I have seen stock ones take 200 hits. Sometimes you’re lucky, others you’re not.
I run M1 in my LS1. She took a 250 shot (on accident), and about 3 full bottles of 150 shot. Sold the spray, and run 404rwhp cam only now. I've raced just about every weekend for the past 1.5 years, car still pulls strong. This car is my DD as well...

Quick Reply: Higher viscosity oil for oil pressures? What oil do you run?