Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

What should I do to increase high-speed stability (Autobahn driving)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K WS6
Very cool thread.

Out of curiosity, what does it cost to get a car to Germany?

NATA SS I've been discussing it with a friend, What does it take to get a WS6 trans am over 200 MPH reliably. I'm planning a set of 3:50 rear end gears, and about 700 HP to the rears. my suspension, brakes, etc are all squared away. (koni's strano's etc.)
If you're in the military, nothing. If not, contact these guys:
American Auto Logistics
1 Maynard Drive
3rd Floor
Park Ridge, NJ 07656
Fax: (618)931-2892

I shipped my car from St. Louis, but this is the contact information I found in my paperwork. The address follows:
4236 Crescent Drive
Pontoon Beach, IL 62040
Hours: MON-FRI 0800-1600

Sorry, I don't have a phone number. Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Not in military.

What is ballpark?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Not in military.

What is ballpark?
Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

From what guys say who shipped a second vehicle, around $1500.
Sorry OP.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very cool thread.

NATA SS I've been discussing it with a friend, What does it take to get a WS6 trans am over 200 MPH reliably. I'm planning a set of 3:50 rear end gears, and about 700 HP to the rears. my suspension, brakes, etc are all squared away. (koni's strano's etc.)
Very cool thread.

Not in military.

What is ballpark?
Not in military.

What is ballpark?
Double clicking much?

From my experience (not in a fbody), shortening your tires sidewalls increases stability, IE from a 275/40/17 to a 275/30-35/18. Speed rating is paramount.

BRAKES!!! I know nothing about the GM slider calipers...get some pads at the very least. Don't waste your money on BS drilled/slotted rotors. You'll be really envious of the german cars braking abilities...which means you'll spend big money eventually. BUT yes, getting hard on the binders over 150 is NO FUN if you weren't planning on it.

I don't know what front splitters we're all talking about, but even a .75'' to 1.5'' lip is dramatically beneficial up to certain speeds...again speaking from experience. I don't know if you'll see any speeds over 170 (which by the way on a public highway feels like 270). It doesn't seem like you're building a texas mile car, you sound like you want something comfortable and still be able to hang with the big dogs safely. I imagine a factory rear spoiler with a small aero aid up front along with tires, lowering, alignment, AND TIRES.

My car sees 160+ frequently, I have hit the rev limiter in top gear with stock suspension/stock body, hit it again after lowering to 3.75'' GC, hit it again with a rear spoiler, then again with a front chin splitter.
-Stock body/suspension felt OK, but my knuckles went white whenever I accelerated above 140.
-Lowering helped, not dramatically, but the car feels more solid.
-After adding the rear spoiler the car feels much less "light".
-Once all of these things were done and good tires were on, I can now remove my hands from the steering wheel at 155 mph. I've made the mistake doing it with a passenger in the car. Stability is a beautiful thing.

Make changes one at a time so you can feel the difference. You don't need any crazy aero aids, just a few tasteful factory appearing add ons and did I mention tires?

If you were moving faster than 180, than yeah, you don't want any more down force...but what you DO need is to reduce lift.

Best of luck
Old 03-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Launching!

I'll have to blame the I phone on that double clicking doesn't generally result in that.. did't know it was doing that, Sorry.

what car do you drive? is it an F-Body? 6 speed... or auto, curious about the rev limiter.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to blame the I phone on that double clicking doesn't generally result in that.. did't know it was doing that, Sorry.

what car do you drive? is it an F-Body? 6 speed... or auto, curious about the rev limiter.
Click his profile ... it appears to be an LSx in a 911 ...
Old 03-12-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Click his profile ... it appears to be an LSx in a 911 ...
Just a light H/C car. I'm in UT, we've got about 6 guys that push it early Saturday and Sunday mornings out west...still haven't had any run ins with UHP...yet.

With a 9.31 RP, and a .75 5th on a 26'' tire and a 7000 rpm limiter it should be right around 185ish. The stock motor was a 6850 rpm limiter with the factory "chip", and it was on 255/40/17's, so around 175 first time around. No speedo with my conversion yet. Makes things interesting around town.

I can't tell you how much stability those few things added. ESPECIALLY the lip under the front bumper. Again you aren't trying to create down force...only reduce lift caused by the shape of the cars. Think about it, most cars are the shape of a wing, relatively flat on the bottom and round on the top. The objective is to keep air from causing lift and turbulence UNDER the car.

I'm not suggesting for you to add anything dis-tasteful, just minor (factory looking) aero aids.

Let us know what your experience is with the high speed mods, I'm sure you aren't the only with with this objective. Good luck
Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
Just a light H/C car. I'm in UT, we've got about 6 guys that push it early Saturday and Sunday mornings out west...still haven't had any run ins with UHP...yet.

With a 9.31 RP, and a .75 5th on a 26'' tire and a 7000 rpm limiter it should be right around 185ish. The stock motor was a 6850 rpm limiter with the factory "chip", and it was on 255/40/17's, so around 175 first time around. No speedo with my conversion yet. Makes things interesting around town.
With a 9.31RPand a .75 5th gear, there is something incorrect in your calculations.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by roy
With a 9.31RPand a .75 5th gear, there is something incorrect in your calculations.
Okay. Then let me know what I was doing. I wasn't a math major. I get my info from Paul Gaurd, with gaurd transmissions.

Last edited by lazylongboarder; 03-13-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:10 PM
roy
TECH Resident

A 9.31 RP with what you stated will result in a mph around 77mph @7000 rpm.

To me the RP ratio is incorrect.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by roy
A 9.31 RP with what you stated will result in a mph around 77mph @7000 rpm.

To me the RP ratio is incorrect.
I believe you're referring to the stock G50/03 gearing, which this isn't, and I think you meant 177. Either way, this is not the topic at hand and thanks for correcting me.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure if this will help you but i noticed in my 65 impala it started to float around 100-120 or so I lowered the front better tires and bigger sway bars. BUT the single biggest impovment was adjusting the hood hinges in the back so the rear of the hood stuck up an inch or so I believe this vented HI pressure air from in front of the firewall-uder the front floor pan area, I think it was lifting from that point as i wondered why? only the front came up. after the adjustment i could get to 140-155 according to the gps before the shear aerodynamic footprint will require some major surgery
Old 03-30-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone besides me a bit jealous?

Autobahn.

Funny how doing something in one country is perfectly legal, whereas in another country will get you arrested and your car impounded...
Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

You mean, like this (sorry, not an F-Body ):

Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
I can't tell you how much stability those few things added. ESPECIALLY the lip under the front bumper. Again you aren't trying to create down force...only reduce lift caused by the shape of the cars. Think about it, most cars are the shape of a wing, relatively flat on the bottom and round on the top. The objective is to keep air from causing lift and turbulence UNDER the car.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just goes to show that the united States can still learn a lot from the rest of the world.

Originally Posted by Latch
Anyone besides me a bit jealous?

Autobahn.

Funny how doing something in one country is perfectly legal, whereas in another country will get you arrested and your car impounded...
Old 08-13-2010, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a front splitter & rear wing on my Holden Commodore road racing, while it is still my street car on circuit it is completely stable, i hear others who use their street cars complain of feeling the front of their car start to float i have no issues.
Forget your adj konis shocks....use a properly setup set of adj Bilsteins that will give you minimal rear lift under braking & traction out of corners etc.
3deg neg camber L/F R/F for a street car will get you around corners better.

Strut brace will help stiffen the front

Last edited by ls1 1990 VN; 08-13-2010 at 05:44 AM. Reason: This for circuit not auto Bahn

Quick Reply: What should I do to increase high-speed stability (Autobahn driving)