Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

427 LS2 M3 on track at NJMP

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use an accusump on my LS1 and also road race it,i have no oil issues. Can't see why it wouldn't work on yours due to it being a direct oiling system carrying 3qrts, it was designed for racecars & it works well on street or track
Old 08-21-2010, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an Improved baffle and 1 extra quart of oil and still lost my LS1 on the road course. Accusump did the trick for me, but if it's still not working, go drysump.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Teching In

ls1 1990 VN, Thanks.

Andrew, My accusump works... it just won't output oil more than 25 psi not matter what I do. What kind of oil pressures are you seeing on track and what is your accusump set to go off at?

I'm taking the car to Watkins Glen this week so I'm curious to see how it does there. I'll report back after. Thanks for everyone's input so far!

John
Old 08-22-2010, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

I have a 30-35 psi electric switch. I plumbed it to the rear of the block where the OEM oil pressure sensor is supposed to go. Perhaps if you got a higher switch it could help? If you have a 2X psi switch, you might be engaging too low...

Also, if your Accusump is plumbed at the rear of the block, if you ever look directly down the bottom of the port hole, you'll notice that the port hole is quite small, smaller than the size of the adapter that is supposed to screw in to... what some people have done is drilled and opened up that hole to a step below the size of the threads = more oil flow. You might not totally get what I'm talking about, but if you ever pop off your adapter/hose from the block, you'll notice it.

What oil pan are you running?

Having lost an LS6 to fuel starvation and an LS1 to oil starvation, I highly recommend getting this problem fixed ASAP... you have a $$$ motor there, it would suck to lose it. I'm running an LM7 iron block for the time being to "test" my setup before I go back to an Al. block, so if I blow this one up, it will be $500 lost, vs several thousand $$$.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Update, just came back from VIR. Accusump and wet sump set up have been replaced by a dry sump and much, much bigger oil cooler. Its a night and day difference.

My apologies early for the lack of 100% focus on this video. The autofocus doesn't work well when a wide angle lens is added and this camera fails at sound entirely.

NSFW due to language at very end of video:

http://vimeo.com/16847931

This was an HPDE only weekend but lots of stupid fast drivers and cars including GT3 Cup Car (white one) Audi R8 (Black), Turbo's of all types etc. I was having a blast and giving a friend a ride right up until the radiator overflow hose let go. That ended the session about 5 minutes early.

That clamp was the one clamp I didn't re-check prior to the event. The hose had come off recently due to the dry sump install.

I dumped water on the track going into turn one. Thankfully no one went off behind me because I was running straight water, no anti-freeze. I only knew I had an issue when the water temp gauge warning light went off and I backed out of the throttle and tried to get off line.

The uphill esses in this car, now with aero, are stupid fun. Thanks to the dry sump, WOT pulls coming out of hogpen are no longer an issue and an "OMG this is bad ***" comment follows.

John

Last edited by Maynor; 11-15-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Pic
Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to club dry sump!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

hahaha, nice!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OKcruising
Welcome to club dry sump!
LOL. Pretty good.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to be clear, what was stated is that LS2/LS3/LS7 blocks are having the problem. I see Ls1 guys commenting on their solution & if I'm understanding correctly, the problem that requires the 3 stage dry sump is related only to the LS2/LS3/LS7 blocks; is that correct?

BTW, I also use pre-oilers to better control oil pressure during sustained cornering g's w/ great success on LS1/LS6 blocks. Again, am thinking that what is being discussed here is related to LS2/LS3/LS7 blocks.

To add to the thread & probably already known by the racers in here is that drilling the lifter cups helps to speed oil drain back to the pan or even the dry sump if being used.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS1 solution should also work for the LS2/3/7.

I put all the oiling stuff from my LS6 onto my new LS7 with no extra challenges.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a photo of a drilled lifter cup?----Nevermind, found some in the forum. Holes appear to be in the side, just above what looks like ribbing inside the cup.

Without those drain holes, do those cups completely fill with oil, or does some of the oil make it between the cup and pushrod area?

I assume it would be better to drill a new set of cups instead of reusing the units in the engine?

Last edited by lubelizard; 11-18-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OKcruising
The LS1 solution should also work for the LS2/3/7. I put all the oiling stuff from my LS6 onto my new LS7 with no extra challenges.
For some reason, there are a lot of posted LS7 failures & usually, the poster notes the stock dry sump as the culprit. IDK why the LS2's & 3's are failing unless they aren't using sustained g force oiling set ups. Only thing I'm sure of is that my pre-oiler w/ drilled lifter cups does very well in ensuring proper oil pressure during long high g turns, left & right on LS1/LS6 blocks.

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Without those drain holes, do those cups completely fill with oil, or does some of the oil make it between the cup and pushrod area?

I assume it would be better to drill a new set of cups instead of reusing the units in the engine?

Yes, in non-drilled cups, oil drains through the gap between the cup & the pushrod. Cup fills higher than it does drilled because of the restricted drain back. Doesn't matter whether or not the cups drilled are new or used, as long as they don't crack.

NOTE: posted this earlier today & the post disappeared...wierd.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Super cool car, hope to see it at NJMP
Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Teching In

VIR this past weekend with NASA Mid-Atlantic. 70s in February was the perfect solution to the snow dumps we've been getting lately.

Ultra short abbreviated video due to idiotic camera, again. Its seen its last use ever as an in-car camera. This weekend, I get to put a sledge hammer to it for all the grief, crappy sound quality and lost video its cost me. Its being replaced by a Smartycam that just showed up. Yippee!

My Aiptek camera....sucks. That's all I'm going to say.

http://www.vimeo.com/20225477

Making my way through traffic. Unfortunately, I showed up late to grid due to a student and had to start at the back of the pack. I caught up to the pack on the paced lap which starts the video...

The car is now in the shop for some new additions including tying the cage in with an additional two points to add foot well crash protection, a level drivers side floor pan and dead pedal, drivers and center window nets, cut-off switch and other misc. stuff including a full repaint of the interior. Well, the the paint depends on the pricing so we'll have to see.

I'm also looking at an upgraded drivers seat with integrated head restraints for a little more peace of mind. That's for later this season.

I'm now going wheel to wheel racing in this car and need the window nets and cut off switch to qualify for comp. school with NASA in March.

The 427 was still pulling HARD when the car roughly tagged 155 mph on the back straight at VIR... if the stock speedo is to be trusted anyway. More importantly, the pull the car had coming out of turns is, just, a, mazing! Torque makes the world go 'round.

Its still amazing to see the reaction the car gets at the track. The Terry Fair fender flairs, 315 meats out back and the attention the car gets when its started. Everyone should own one!

Also met up with an LS1 RX7 at this event and something I've never seen before, a ZR1 engine (pretty sure its the LS9 right?) transplanted into a 944 race car. THAT car was too quiet in my opinion but an interesting swap none the less.

John
Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Can't wait to watch the video when I get home

Glad to hear your going W2W, it's a blast, you'll love it! A couple things..I don't know how tall you are (how far back the seat is mounted), but if you have a full enclosure seat, you don't need the right side (center) window net. BUT, with a full enclosure seat (I put one in the vette in the off season) emergency get-the-hell-out-of-the-car becomes more difficult if needing to go through the window. I've been practicing this since i put the seat in, very difficult (i'm tall and the seat as all the way back..granted you have more room to go back than me).
Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maynor
Sorry about the crappy camera sound quality. Turning down the treble helps filter it out.

I was losing oil pressure in sharp left hand turns so I delayed getting on the gas until the pressure climbed above 30 psi in a bunch of turns.

http://vimeo.com/12151729

John
E36 LS2
Crappy video? dude, that's better than most I've seen. Your car is pretty wild. Can you make one for me too?

I don't know about the oiling issue. Dry sump is pricey, but so is a blown up engine.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Maynor
VIR this past weekend with NASA Mid-Atlantic. 70s in February was the perfect solution to the snow dumps we've been getting lately.
Hey man, next time your at a NASA MA event, come stop by the Sentra camp and say hello and grab a frosty!

It was a great weekend weather wise!

One of my cars won both PTE races (2:16's in a Sentra!!! )
as well as the TT event he runs just incase he does not place in PTE so he can win some tires...
Yes it was the sentra you ate for dinner on the front straight.

The car I was driving lunched the timing chain...???

Bad weekend for me...

Hope to have my lsx powered stockcar out there in march.
(it also carries BMW decals)
Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Can't wait to watch the video when I get home

Glad to hear your going W2W, it's a blast, you'll love it! A couple things..I don't know how tall you are (how far back the seat is mounted), but if you have a full enclosure seat, you don't need the right side (center) window net. BUT, with a full enclosure seat (I put one in the vette in the off season) emergency get-the-hell-out-of-the-car becomes more difficult if needing to go through the window. I've been practicing this since i put the seat in, very difficult (i'm tall and the seat as all the way back..granted you have more room to go back than me).
Hehe, yep, I'm afraid I probably will. Good to know about the center net actually with a full head restraint seat. My only real worry is the emergency get out procedure.. I'm going to have to start incorporating removing the steering wheel into my get out fast routine.

Originally Posted by 1981TA
.. Can you make one for me too?
Hehehe. Lots of kits out there now to make it almost a drop in conversion now.

Originally Posted by joelamite
Hey man, next time your at a NASA MA event, come stop by the Sentra camp and say hello and grab a frosty!

It was a great weekend weather wise!

One of my cars won both PTE races (2:16's in a Sentra!!! )
as well as the TT event he runs just incase he does not place in PTE so he can win some tires...
Yes it was the sentra you ate for dinner on the front straight.

The car I was driving lunched the timing chain...???

Bad weekend for me...

Hope to have my lsx powered stockcar out there in march.
(it also carries BMW decals)
Hey Joe, concur, perfect weather! Sorry to hear about your car and thanks for the invite in to the Sentra camp.. I'll def. stop in.

John
Old 03-01-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 168 Likes on 111 Posts

What size tires are you running up front?

There is nothing like driving thru a field of cars effortlessly in an LSx swapped car.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Teching In

17x10s dry, 18x10s wet, in the front. Both with 275 width tires.