Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Help Me Decide on a NASA TT Car: S2000, LSx RX7 or C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Decide on a NASA TT Car: S2000, LSx RX7 or C5Z

I've been debating and debating over the past couple weeks on what car to build for nasa TT. I'm coming from a built supra on slicks and skinnies which would never dream of seeing a road course. Looking to get out of drag racing as I've just gotten quite bored with it. So I'm letting you guys help me decide, posting this on s2ki, norotors and ls1tech. Coming from my supra, a BIG thing for me is still having fun in a straight line aswell. Not building the car just for fun, I'd be building it to be competitive.

Here are my thoughts on each car.

s2000 - Nasa TTB

Pros:
Super Reliable
Super Sexy
Cheapest of the 3
Proven Car for TTB
Slower car (comparatively) would mean less going through tires, braes etc. I would imagine.
I've owned one before (B stock), loved the car if the wheel was turned. HATED it when it wasn't

Cons:
Dirt slow in a straight line

Even though this is only one con, It's a hugh one to me frown.gif

LSx RX7 - NASA TTS

Pros:
Love the chassis, Owned one before that I did a 2jz swap on (another drag car) So I am very familiar with it
Still miss my old rx7 to this day
Light
Fastest of the 3 in a straight line
Probably the most fun of the 3

Cons:
There is always that unreliability factor with swapped cars (electrical problems, etc etc) <--- Biggest issue, I remember how much it was a pain having to deal with the dakota boxes and random electrical issues in my 2j swapped car.
Haven't seen any actually run time trials competitively
Probably the most expensive to build or buy

C5 z06 - NASA TTS

Pros:
Ready to go out of the box
Reliable
Proven TTS car
straight line fast

Cons:
Never owned one, know pretty much nothing about them
Ungodly Ugly IMHO (Sorry LS1tech!)

I appreciate everyone on every forum that responds to this! If you have any other cars that you think would fit the bill post up!

Thanks!
Lee
Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of TTS and ST2 Corvettes around. The C5Z is pretty solid in TTS and ST2, and with my bias, it gets the vote from me. All you need is good tires, good driver, and bigger front sway bar. Not sure on TTS, but ST2 you can add a rear spoiler and front valance for more corner speed. Also you can throw on headers and a good tune and typically stay within the 8.7:1 hp:wt ratio.

I'll be doing my 1st TTS/ST2 event this weekend crossing over from SCCA T-1
Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and those RX7's are also fast...I just don't know enough about them
Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned and raced both the S2k and the RX7, and owned a C6 corvette that I didn't race.

The RX7 is faster, but both have their strong points. The s2000 has great brakes and handling, the Rx7 can almost match the handling and is wicked fast in a straight line. The brakes are not near what the s2k's are.

The s2000 suffers from mis-shift over-revs. I know this is a driver thing, but I would do it twice a season.

The RX7's t56 was much better, but is kinda clunky.

The Z06 will be the most reliable and is the best out of the box, but is not near as nice of a driver as the other two. Speed is somewhere in between the two. Brakes can be a bit of money, and the engine will lasts about two seasons without an accusump or drysump, so factor that in in both the Rx7 and the Corvette.

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide on a NASA TT Car: S2000, LSx RX7 or C5Z