Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Splitter/Spoiler question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011 | 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Default Splitter/Spoiler question

Are these effective on a street/track car?

http://www.aprperformance.com/index....d=76&Itemid=49

Would this do the same?

http://www.spectergtr.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=C393

Is the under tray the secret to an effective ground effect?

How low do you need to be in order for them to function?

How about how thin the splitter is? Is that important?

Last edited by Big Bu Bu; 01-12-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2011 | 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same ?'s also.

My fear is that it would turn into a shovel in an off and rip out whatever it was attached to with it... I worry that an off that would not be a big deal would quickly turn into a $$$ problem if that panel were to be in place.

I do know that it has to be very rigid to actually do anything. I was plannning on buying a car of tomorrow takeoff on Ebay to give it a try.
Old 01-13-2011 | 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

for any splitter to be functional, it has to be no more then a few inches off the ground. and im talking 2 or 3, not 5+. it also has to be mounted so securely that you can STAND on it. otherwise, if it ever does create any significant downforce, itll simply rip out of its mountings. most any splitter you buy will be mostly for looks.

i had one on my TA, and it WILL turn into a shovel if you should ever go off track, and youre lowered any decent amount. it tore into 3 pieces, and ripped out every mounting point underneath my bumper. if youve ever watched NASCAR, youll see that a real splitter, properly made and mounted, is nearly indestructible. ones you buy online are just for looks.
Old 01-13-2011 | 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Is this to high for example? Sorry it's a Ford.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Big Bu Bu; 01-13-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2011 | 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Every good info here. I wouldn't post unless you have your duck's in a row.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...light=splitter
In fact, on Corner Carvers just search "splitter" in topic titles and there are plenty of posts to read thru.
Old 01-13-2011 | 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Glenn98ZM6
I wouldn't post unless you have your duck's in a row.
Sorry I don't understand your advice.

Thanks for the links though, they are helpful. Good stuff.
Old 01-13-2011 | 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Sorry I don't understand your advice.

Thanks for the links though, they are helpful. Good stuff.
I was refering to the Corner Carvers site. Post away if you feel your worthy.
Old 01-13-2011 | 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

I was refering to the Corner Carvers site. Post away if you feel your worthy.
Gotcha. Registration is disabled. Must have enough smart guys already
Old 01-13-2011 | 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Every good info here. I wouldn't post unless you have your duck's in a row.

In fact, on Corner Carvers just search "splitter" in topic titles and there are plenty of posts to read thru.

Thanks for the info! Not interested in posting, but will take their info and run with it. They look like a buch of guys that take this a little too seriously...
The min. I forget that this stuff is supposed to be fun to the mechanics and physics and $$$ of racing for a damn bowling trophy SHOOT ME!!! Outside of the tracks gates that trophy is meaningless! (fwiw I have won 2 NASA-ma regional championships and 1 auto-x championship and all I have to show for it is a car I no longer have, some pictures, and a couple of trophys in the laundry room...) It is more fun to have fun!

Big BuBu
I have found a guy that has 15-20 of NASCAR takeoffs if you or anyone is interested. I think I will get one to put under the late model.
I would love to have one of those CTS-V's
Grew up Gramps always had caddies...
Pops always had gramps caddies..
Pop always towed his SCCA racecars with his hand-me-down caddies...(hated trucks)
I will get one....

Last edited by joelamite; 01-13-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joelamite

Big BuBu
I have found a guy that has 15-20 of NASCAR takeoffs if you or anyone is interested. I think I will get one to put under the late model.
I would love to have one of those CTS-V's
Grew up Gramps always had caddies...
Pops always had gramps caddies..
Pop always towed his SCCA racecars with his hand-me-down caddies...(hated trucks)
I will get one....
The V is fun and it's different. Porsches and Vettes are like belly buttons at the track since everyone has one. Prices are coming way down on the used market now for the V1. A streetable 3600lb V1 is do-able but it takes some money.

My biggest worry about the splitter is wadding it up and breaking off the front fascia on the car. Going off or trying to load the car on a trailer could be a real PITA. If I could only feel comfortable with the benefits it would be easier to decide.
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Is this to high for example? Sorry it's a Ford.
no expert, but id say thats too high. might help a little, but nothing like what a real splitter is supposed to do.

sites like corner carvers or frrax may help with some technical information, but theyre usually loaded with 'professionals' who look down on anyone doing it for fun. they think you should have a stripped, gutted, dedicated race car, or NOTHING else and shouldnt be trying it with a street car. theres alot of arrogance and chest thumping on those sites. alot of them take it WAY to seriously for someone trying to have fun on a track day with their daily driver.

as of now, a splitter is up to you. it will mostly be for looks, and i doubt it would have a noticeable effect on handling. i had one and liked it alot, mostly because it was different, and i was one of the very few f bodies in NJ to have one at all. i did use it on a fast track, and felt no difference in stability. i did, however, see a noticeable INCREASE in engine temp with the splitter on. it blocked or deflected enough air to cause a 10+ degree increase in average temps. thats the same track that i went off on, and broke the splitter and ruined the underside of my nose. i fixed what i could, and went back out. my temps instantly dropped down to normal track range. obviously a cts is totally different then my TA, and who knows where or how a splitter may mount. you may have completely different results in temps, and youll never know until you try it.

you should also take into consideration the material used in the splitter. if you get a NASCAR take off, it may be indestructible, but what if you do go off into the dirt.....unless youre able to stand on the splitter, something will have to give. if not the splitter, then your nose. it will rip out whatever mounting points it had, and worst case, completely destroy your nose. also, if it does rip off, that huge, bulletproof chunk of carbon fiber is going under your car at speed. could rip off your oil filter, fuel lines, brake lines, etc. when my plain plastic splitter broke, it dented my oil filter. no damage, but it did impact it and could have be catastrophic.
Old 01-14-2011 | 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
you should also take into consideration the material used in the splitter. if you get a NASCAR take off, it may be indestructible, but what if you do go off into the dirt.....unless youre able to stand on the splitter, something will have to give. if not the splitter, then your nose. it will rip out whatever mounting points it had, and worst case, completely destroy your nose. also, if it does rip off, that huge, bulletproof chunk of carbon fiber is going under your car at speed. could rip off your oil filter, fuel lines, brake lines, etc. when my plain plastic splitter broke, it dented my oil filter. no damage, but it did impact it and could have be catastrophic.
Originally Posted by joelamite
I have the same ?'s also.

My fear is that it would turn into a shovel in an off and rip out whatever it was attached to with it... I worry that an off that would not be a big deal would quickly turn into a $$$ problem if that panel were to be in place.

I do know that it has to be very rigid to actually do anything. I was plannning on buying a car of tomorrow takeoff on Ebay to give it a try.
Echo
Exactly my concerns!
The late model is a full tube chassis, remote oil filter etc... And I still have those concerns... $$$ I can't even imagine the damage it would do to a nice car like that Caddy! Brake lines... Ouch!
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

First, CC is okay as long as you search before posting. They are the gods of tech, and you don't need a dedicated track car to contribute.

Second, the V already has an undertray, and you'd have to remove the rubber lip to fit a splitter. You can use 3/16" ABS plastic to make a splitter/undertray. I made a couple for a Miata I used to street/OT, and it did indeed have a noticeable improvement on highway speed stability, even though the splitter protruded only 2-3 inches beyond the lower lip of the body. However, if you intend to add a splitter to the front of the car, you may have to balance the rear aero with a spoiler. The most noticeable improvement on highway speed stability was a heat extractor hood. It relieved the high pressure trapped under the hood, and planted the nose of the car.

If it were me, I'd get the Spectre Werks piece and call it a day. Ease of install, should have some effectiveness, won't have to mess with an undertray, won't have to remove the factory lip (I think). If I tracked my V on a regular basis, the splitter and heat extractor hood would reside on the car, starting with the hood.

Last edited by lubelizard; 01-15-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

I just read an article in Grassroots Motorsports where they put one on a Mini Cooper S and they said it was a noticeable difference. Mini is close to stock ride height. In that article it says a proper splitter can provide 150-300 lbs of front downforce.

Old 01-18-2011 | 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

online version of GRM article.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/pro...ast-airbender/

Funny thing...
If you watch the youtube video at the bottom of the Grassroots Article I'm driving the black Nissan with smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I bairly made it by that crash... would have sucked as I was in a "borrowed" car.
Old 01-18-2011 | 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I just read an article in Grassroots Motorsports where they put one on a Mini Cooper S and they said it was a noticeable difference. Mini is close to stock ride height. In that article it says a proper splitter can provide 150-300 lbs of front downforce.
This is what I would expect, even at perhaps a less than optimal height they realized a gain. The main jist is that these things need to be tested; simple pontification of theories will get you nowhere with aero devices. Test, test, test is the only way to be sure of the results, as different cars (shapes) respond differently to aero devices.

Andy1

Quick Reply: Splitter/Spoiler question