Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Ls1 motor dead in 2 laps at TWS

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clayp-did you make it to TWS? I talked to a guy with a red/silver 944 with an LS1 a little but that wasn't you. He was having some oil consumption (PCV) issues and told him to come check out my setup but he didn't stop by. I'm still experimenting as I went to a later model engine valley cover with a fixed orifice valve so I dont' have a PCV anymore. I routed normal pcv lines to the vented catch tank and then to the throttle body. Capped the front of the valve cover. I'll check the tank this weekend and oil in the intake tract.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clayp
I just ordered a factory crate Ls6 motor. My custom oil pan has an enclosed baffle with 4 trap doors
Where did you pick up the new LS6 and if you don't mind sharing, what did it cost? I've been looking and it seems the cost have gone up significantly in the last 9 months.

A PM response is fine, also.

Thanks
Dave Algozine
Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Teching In

I think your crank scraper is a sound idea. The price is reasonable as well.
I am searching for anectodal evidence from users to see if the theory has worked out for road-racing in the LS1. I have used one in an E36 in the past.

Kibort is one of those folks who doesn't even realize he is the laughing stock for an entire community. Every one of his posts is self-deprecating. It is truly amazing.

Not a sound idea (Kibort):

Thanks -- it seems like I almost wrote a dissertation somewhere on the Corvette LS pan and primary and secondary windage trays and failure modes along with the issues in the galley.

I know all about Mark but I am willing to listen when people give reliable data.

Also, back in the 1950s my Father bolted an industrial electric supercharger on his Nash Rambler with the straight six. He grew up in Romulus and my Grandfather assured me he picked up plenty of speeding tickets with it -- even when Telegraph had no exact speed limit. At Willow Run it had a top speed of about 140mph. Sometime during that run the vacuum over the car sucked off the convertible top. Maybe his car was the subject of the Beep, Beep song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1c4QZGQw5o

I know that is a bit different from an ERam but a lot of people scoff at electric superchargers in principle. Oh well.

Last edited by KLJohnson; 05-03-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Spelling: Ramber to Rambler; electrical to electric
Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

My 3Q Accusump arrived with EPS switch. My remote oil filter has open ports to tie into. I also found this link to a modified windage tray and crank scraper. Was wondering if anyone has tried these:

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/Chevrolet_LS.html

I also use the 3QT accusump, with the crank scraper above, also use the Kevko Road Race baffled oil pan, drilled the lifter trays, high pressure oil pump oil pressure has been rock solid!

A friend with the same car as mine, blew his ls6 in 2 laps at CMP a year ago, got a new motor and new accusump and hasnt looked back!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Teching In

I have an Accusump too. Picked it up over twenty years ago. Different animal, which is why it is worth reading the discussion section of Evans' later patent.

Just pulled it off the shelf. It is still precharged after twenty years. Quality piece.

Anyway, the idea is that not all parsimonious engineering alterations are for the better.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DAlgozine
Where did you pick up the new LS6 and if you don't mind sharing, what did it cost? I've been looking and it seems the cost have gone up significantly in the last 9 months.

A PM response is fine, also.

Thanks
Dave Algozine
Dave I grabbed one of the last ones that Dahmer Powertrain had. I have seen some other places indicating existing stock but I don't recall who. 3.5k after credit given for a core

Quick Reply: Ls1 motor dead in 2 laps at TWS