Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

I'm hooked!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TaTommyWS6
I just participated in my first Autocross event and it was a blast! Not too many people showed, so we got to make about 10 runs each. Now if I can just get some tires, I'll be in a good shape. Lots of fun!

Tommy
I hear ya!
Old 04-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just as a follow-up in this thread, I was allowed to run in SM. It was a good class to be in because there was the most cars in this class, including a lot of Mustangs! The word is I'll be allowed to run in this class until I start winning; then they may take a closer look at what's on my car (and what's not on it.)
Old 04-21-2004, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

OK, so last Sunday I was able to sign in as SM. I guess the confusion stemmed from the fact that the person at the registration booth was not familiar with the classes (which seems wierd to me). Any, I have NO tires left on my car after this weekend. Saturday I took Phase 1 of Evolution's Autocross driving School. Mark Daddio (An SCCA national champinion) drove my car a few times and was laughing at how much power it had (since most of the cars, particularly the F-bodies, had almost no power mods)! Too bad the tires are crap so there was very little traction. But it was sooooo much fun!

I ordered a set of Eagle F1 GS-D3s! They should be at my door today or tomorrow!

Tommy

PS I came in first in my class!!! (Street Modified Novice)
Old 04-21-2004, 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tommy,
is that the event held at the beach lot? i hear its a big lot. i race at giants stadium; you should come sometime. shoot me an email if you are interested. our courses are really big and fast. www.themclub.net
Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, its at Orchard Beach in the Bronx. I heard some crazy stuff about the Giants Stadium's club, like how you really go through tires while racing with the M club! Yeah, I would love to try the Giants Stadium sometimes, I'll check out the website... Thanks!

Tommy
Old 04-21-2004, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha, i don't know about that though; i'm still on my kumhos from last year. when i raced with SCCA at etown on their super tight courses, i really went through rubber fast. our courses aren't as tight and that suits our big cars nicely
Old 04-21-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
How do I find out when an event is going to be in my area? I would like to give it a shot at least once.
http://www.scca.org/Inside/Index.asp?IdS=0004D0-F1BED30&Reference=RegionalSites&~=

This ought to help anyone find a region in their area. Glad you guys are trying this out. I, too, was hooked immediately last spring and have now done about a dozen events since then.

And I can't say enough about getting a rule book. The sites out there are good starting points, but stuff gets added or amended every year in an attempt to keep things competitive, and those sites don't keep up with every change.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

i won the championship here for f stock in 2002, by now im in ESP. I just reciently bought Kumho race tires. waiting to test them out after figuring out how to get more neg camber. My suspension is TOTALLY stock. I have headers with stock exhaust. and some free mods. I was put into ESP because there is a blue bottle in my back seat. last race i came in 4th out of 5 ESP cars, but ALL the other ESP cars were trailered in.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

The headers are an automatic trip up to ESP. Since you're not supposed to have nitrous in the car at an auto-x event, that shouldn't have bumped you to ESP.

Quick Reply: I'm hooked!