Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

advice needed for getting into Track days/HPDE/RR etc (semi serious)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Well, if testing on the street is any indication, these things really bite. It's way more than just a SOTP difference over the HPSs I had on. They really weren't noisy like most people complain about when driving race pads on the street.
Street won't tell you anything, 25 minutes into a 30 minute session will.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
i looked up the price on the DTC70 pads. $225 and you guys are burning them up in 1-2 HPDE events?
what have i got myself into
i might have to step down to DTC 30, and the HP+ on the rear to save some dough and longetivy.
Try a $270 a set Carbotech XP 20 that I smoked to the backing plates in 7.5 sessions.

Ahh yes, the love of adrenalin.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bunch of great advice in this thread.

As you're getting started, the greatest thing you can do to get the car around the track better is to become more familiar with the track(s) and gain experience with that type of driving. Approach it with the mindset that you're out there to learn and continously improve. You don't really hear of "naturals" that just show up to their first track day and rip up a road course after two parade laps.

As for the actual mods, you would definitely benefit from:

1. Get the drag shocks out of there. Konis are the clear #1 to most of the guys on here, Bilsteins are the lower-cost alternative. I went with the Bilsteins -- if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Konis however I've been quite pleased with the quality of the Bilsteins.

2. You can stick with the stock brake system for now, however just pick up a good set of pads. I use the exact same combo FASTFATBOY noted above -- Hawk DTC-30 on the front and HP+ on the rear and they're great! Upgrade your fluid to high temp -- ATE Blue would be great.

3. The stock power steering pump has cooling issues. There are a couple options (Turn One upgrade vs. re-valve the stock pump) that would work. Not an absolute must before your first event, however it should be on the short list of things to address.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks!
i had planed to pick up a 4 row/pass powersteering cooler used for offroad desert racing. would that work? there only $50 bucks. or $20 bucks for a 2 pass/row.
or is the powersteering pump the actual problem?
Old 05-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Street won't tell you anything, 25 minutes into a 30 minute session will.
They were great at the track today.

Unfortunately my motor wasn't. I suddenly got a tremendous clattering sound and shut it down immediately. I might've busted a rocker arm or valve spring. I hope that's all it is.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
They were great at the track today.

Unfortunately my motor wasn't. I suddenly got a tremendous clattering sound and shut it down immediately. I might've busted a rocker arm or valve spring. I hope that's all it is.
What were the conditions when this happened? I've headr that there is an oil starvation issue that can occur during a sustained hard left-hand turn. I haven't experienced it, but plenty of poeple have.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1981TA
What were the conditions when this happened? I've headr that there is an oil starvation issue that can occur during a sustained hard left-hand turn. I haven't experienced it, but plenty of poeple have.
C6s running slicks and aero have experienced oil starvation in long carousel-type turns and let go. They usually spin a bearing.

I was on NT05s in a non-aero C5 just toodling along waiting for my tires to warm up when it started clattering like crazy. I'm no expert, but it sounds valve train related.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
thanks!
i had planed to pick up a 4 row/pass powersteering cooler used for offroad desert racing. would that work? there only $50 bucks. or $20 bucks for a 2 pass/row.
or is the powersteering pump the actual problem?
stock pumps arent up to track use. i had a turn one with factory cooler and never had problems.

you also do NOT "NEED" brake ducts. proper race pads are built to take the heat.

Quick Reply: advice needed for getting into Track days/HPDE/RR etc (semi serious)