TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Which rear LCA's?

Currently:
-Bone stock suspension with much miles

Moving to:
-MWC 9" billet clutch posi and watt's link
-Within a few months strano springs, koni DA's, strano sways blah blah

Anyways, the car is probably going to be 50% street/40% auto-x/10% strip, maybe a little more street since I enjoy driving it. (not my DD)

I'm trying to figure out which rear LCA's to pair with the rear end that should be here in about a month. I'm leaning towards MWC's adjustable. Basically I know they need to be adjustable since I'm going to have an aftermarket rear. What are you guys on here running? (Brand, which ends, double or single adjustable)

I understand that the car is essentially a hodgepodge of compromises, but I don't want to run into any issues with binding rear LCA's at Auto-x. Might as well do this right the first time!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of these for sale, $180.00.

Add 2.9% for Paypal and you pay for the ride, very low street miles. Mostly all track duty.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...p89j0nt1eeric5
Old 02-23-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Free bump. I'm in the same boat as you and have been trying to figure out what the best solution is.

Given that bind-free articulation is key for folks interested in handling, the roto-joint and rod-end options seem to be the two most logical choices (outside of simply pressing in Moog rubber bushings into the stock ones).

I'm leaning towards going with a roto-joint setup based solely on the fact that FFB was pleased with them on his car, however I haven't pulled the trigger because I want to educate myself more on the alternatives before buying. Hopefully others will chime in here and share their thoughts.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

I ran a set of roto joints on my car about four years ago. They made a lot of noise and I couldn't handle it so I went back to stock. They might have a better design now I'm not sure.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
I ran a set of roto joints on my car about four years ago. They made a lot of noise and I couldn't handle it so I went back to stock. They might have a better design now I'm not sure.
They have to be T.I.G.H.T!!

BTW, I also have the spanner wrench for mine, extra $20 to buy it...you will need it.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is anyone running the MWC Heim joints? I've seen a few threads that suggest they may be better than your average rod end, plus I can tack on a new set to my rear order for not all that much.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Is anyone running the MWC Heim joints? I've seen a few threads that suggest they may be better than your average rod end, plus I can tack on a new set to my rear order for not all that much.
Heim ends get noisy fast on a street car. You can't tighten them up like you can a roto joint or similar. They get dirty and the dirt grinds in.

When they start rattling, and they will trust me....you are stuck with them.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sticking with my stock 1LE setup , but I do plan on doing relocation brackets. Weld in or simple bolt in?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I have one car, in my sig, and so it's obviously my daily driver. I use Unbalanced Engineering rod end LCA's and I've had them installed for almost a decade. They originally came with Aurora rod ends but once they got noisy I've only ever used FK Rodend JMX12T and JMXL12T rods and they have a long life (at least a year). The last two times I replaced them I also tried the Seals It rod end seals and that seems to help also. UE now offers the LCA's in aluminum, which I would prefer if I were to buy them again.

Last year I temporarily swapped in the stock LCA's with new Moog solid rubber bushings to isolate some noise, then put the UE's back in with all new hardware. I couldn't tell the difference in noise but could tell the difference in the feel of the car, I preferred the rod ends.

Consider buying FFB's pieces, and if you decide you don't like those ends, perhaps try out the JMXT & Seals-It combo.

Everything I've read indicate weld-in is preferable to bolt-in relocation brackets, but I'm not an engineer.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Boss002
I'm sticking with my stock 1LE setup , but I do plan on doing relocation brackets. Weld in or simple bolt in?
Weld only, if you wheel hop the car you will bend the bolt in mounts.

Ask me how I know that!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JimMueller

Consider buying FFB's pieces, and if you decide you don't like those ends, perhaps try out the JMXT & Seals-It combo.

He thinks I am asking too much for them, $310 new with the spanner wrench. I am asking $180 plush shipping. We are locked up over $10 lol.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
He thinks I am asking too much for them, $310 new with the spanner wrench. I am asking $180 plush shipping. We are locked up over $10 lol.
I can tack on brand new MWC heim joint LCAs to my rear end order for $180, or I can pick up your used UMI roto-joint for $195. If I were 100% sold on the fact that heim joints aren't for me I'd be all over yours. I'm not trying to say that yours are a bad deal or anything, but after doing some more reading and research they may not be for me.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I can tack on brand new MWC heim joint LCAs to my rear end order for $180, or I can pick up your used UMI roto-joint for $195. If I were 100% sold on the fact that heim joints aren't for me I'd be all over yours. I'm not trying to say that yours are a bad deal or anything, but after doing some more reading and research they may not be for me.
They are sold, good luck with the heim ends. Very few people like them in a street car, very few.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I have one car, in my sig, and so it's obviously my daily driver. I use Unbalanced Engineering rod end LCA's and I've had them installed for almost a decade. They originally came with Aurora rod ends but once they got noisy I've only ever used FK Rodend JMX12T and JMXL12T rods and they have a long life (at least a year). The last two times I replaced them I also tried the Seals It rod end seals and that seems to help also. UE now offers the LCA's in aluminum, which I would prefer if I were to buy them again.

Last year I temporarily swapped in the stock LCA's with new Moog solid rubber bushings to isolate some noise, then put the UE's back in with all new hardware. I couldn't tell the difference in noise but could tell the difference in the feel of the car, I preferred the rod ends.

Everything I've read indicate weld-in is preferable to bolt-in relocation brackets, but I'm not an engineer.

I'm expecting to pick up some noise from the addition of the watt's link anyways. When you say your rod ends were lasting about a year, how much driving were you doing?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm expecting to pick up some noise from the addition of the watt's link anyways. When you say your rod ends were lasting about a year, how much driving were you doing?
No noise what-so-ever with the fays2 watts link I have, feels really good too.
As already stated that the roto-joints won't make noise if they are tightened. Mine started making noise and I tightened them up and haven't had any noise since.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
They have to be T.I.G.H.T!!

BTW, I also have the spanner wrench for mine, extra $20 to buy it...you will need it.
Ohhhhh mine were tight lol. I even contacted UMI directly and sent them pics and everything. They offered that I send them back to them so they could check them out, but I sold them before I had a chance to send them. Nice folks over there. I'm not bashing them at all just for my particular application they didn't work out for me.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Ohhhhh mine were tight lol. I even contacted UMI directly and sent them pics and everything. They offered that I send them back to them so they could check them out, but I sold them before I had a chance to send them. Nice folks over there. I'm not bashing them at all just for my particular application they didn't work out for me.
Does anyone have a video with LCA noise? Roto joints or otherwise? I'm just not sure it could be that bad, but since I'm keeping my exhaust under 93db to run auto-x it's something I am concerned about.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone have a video with LCA noise? Roto joints or otherwise? I'm just not sure it could be that bad, but since I'm keeping my exhaust under 93db to run auto-x it's something I am concerned about.
I'm running poly/rod LCA's and rod/rod panhard, no noticeable difference at all. Just lubed em' up real good and bolted them in. Maybe if you're real picky you may say there's more of a 'jolt' going over potholes but it wasn't nearly as bad as people were saying it was gunna be.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

I don't have any clips of mine. The noise was kind of like a dull thud like something was loose and rattling. Going over expansion cracks on bridges was the worst. Also if the car had any lateral movement you could hear them clicking. I was a little crazy so I used to open my hatch and shake the car side to side so I could figure the noise and it would click and rattle when it shook. I put the stock arms back on and no noise. I'm guessing it must be the rubber bushings that absorb the noise and vibration. Now my car groans when I back up or go over curbs so I know the stockers have to be binding, but I'm OK with that because I'm not out tracking every weekend so that extra articulation I'm not missing it.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're doing much street driving I'd definitely recommend using roto-joints. Like the others have said the rod-ends will make noise. The rubber of the lower control arms absorbs a lot of the noise/vibration into the chassis. The Roto-Joint is able to absorb some of it with the delrin races inside the roto-housing.

The roto-joint will allow the articulation you want with road roacing. If you have any further questions let me know!

Quick Reply: Which rear LCA's?