Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Anyone had the back end of the car break loose at high speed, unintentionally?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Yes, removing the relocation brackets all together, they do NOT help handling and can induce unwanted oversteer. Ive seen guys say that they "help out of corner grip" but I haven't found that to be true myself, they seem to just want to make the car rotate more.
Do you have aftermarket rear LCAs? You do not want poly bushings on both ends, ideally you would want either rubber or rod ended bushings. Poly can stick and bind which can cause snap oversteer.
Better shocks will go a LONG way in feel, control/handling and predictability. I would highly suggest Koni sports(adjustables) if you want an off the shelf shock with warranty.
Something else you can do that is very very easy but costly is buy a watts link with an adjustable roll center - you can literally dial in rear grip by adjusting the roll center up or down. I guess you could also buy an adjustable roll center mount for the PHB setup as well, but you still have the negative effects of the PHB to deal with.
Thanks for the reply, this is exactly the advice I'm looking for. I have factory control arms and was about to switch to some tubular to get poly ends, but its good to know that would've been a waste of time and money.

Earlier up you mentioned 45 in 4th gear isn't that fast which is true. I have the m29 t56 (or maybe m28? Whichever is geared lower) and 4:10 gears so there is still quite a bit of available torque at that gear and speed.

Can you or anyone else recommend some tires that'll actually help me put the power down? This car can't hook at all in 1st gear and my tires aren't dry rotted. I've had this problem since they were brand new. I've ridden in GTOs with 100hp more with 245 series tires that hook no problem. Is it all in the suspension set up, or is it because there is more weight pushing down on the smaller contact patch? I understand there is a trade off between hooking and handling. I can't afford wider wheels but I can afford new tires. This is a play toy and definitely not a daily driver so a really soft tread compound would be an option as well.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lt16spd1
Thanks for the reply, this is exactly the advice I'm looking for. I have factory control arms and was about to switch to some tubular to get poly ends, but its good to know that would've been a waste of time and money.

Earlier up you mentioned 45 in 4th gear isn't that fast which is true. I have the m29 t56 (or maybe m28? Whichever is geared lower) and 4:10 gears so there is still quite a bit of available torque at that gear and speed.
What rpm were you at roughly?
Can you or anyone else recommend some tires that'll actually help me put the power down? This car can't hook at all in 1st gear and my tires aren't dry rotted. I've had this problem since they were brand new. I've ridden in GTOs with 100hp more with 245 series tires that hook no problem. Is it all in the suspension set up, or is it because there is more weight pushing down on the smaller contact patch? I understand there is a trade off between hooking and handling. I can't afford wider wheels but I can afford new tires. This is a play toy and definitely not a daily driver so a really soft tread compound would be an option as well.
Just looked up the tires you have and i saw a 560 tread wear rating, that is really really high (not sticky), factory goodyear tires these cars came with were around 300, which should be way stickier in theory (lower the number the stickier they are).
Look at tires in the 200-300 range. For example a nitto nt555 g2 will probably be way stickier than what you have now. Is the gto you are talking about also a 6 speed or an auto? 6 speed cars shock the drivetrain way harder and will break loose easier and autos, all else equal.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick up some used C4 Corvette wheels off craig's list. They are everywhere for around $75 each. put some 275/40/17 tires on them and you are good to go. Who knows, you might even find a set with tires already.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stp001
Pick up some used C4 Corvette wheels off craig's list. They are everywhere for around $75 each. put some 275/40/17 tires on them and you are good to go. Who knows, you might even find a set with tires already.
Better yet, pick mine up. I have a set of 17x9.5 saw blades, with Continental Extreme DWS tires (70% tread) that I need to unload, now that my new wheels arrived. Also have a set of late C5 base polished wheels with Bridgestone RE-71s included on the fronts (keeping the rears for my new wheels).

Quick Reply: Anyone had the back end of the car break loose at high speed, unintentionally?