Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Question for any high-horsepower F-bodies in here...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Question for any high-horsepower F-bodies in here...

Hi all,

I'm hoping that I might be able to get the benefit of those of you who have some road course experience with 600+ horsepower 3rd- and/or 4th-gen F-bodies. I'm making slow but steady progress on my build, & I'm hoping that I'll be able to take part in some local track days a few times a year once it's done. My concern is with cooling.

Since these cars are "bottom-breathers," what things have you done to keep the engine at a reasonable temperature? Any recommendations about which radiator to use??

I'm planning on trying to be really strict about managing the airflow into & out of the radiator (ensuring that air is forced to go through it, etc.), but I'm guessing that there are things that I haven't thought of.

FWIW, I'm going to be using a single turbocharger, which just adds to the challenge...

Any & all constructive suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Turbo V8 and road racing...... Good luck keeping it cool running all the heat exchangers up front. I would run a remote a/w intercooler and a custom massive radiator up front fully ducted.

Maybe take some ideas from this car:
http://www.stangtv.com/features/car-...ith-forgeline/
Old 11-23-2017, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm checking that car out now. Thank you for the reply gnx7, it's much appreciated.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are interested in making a race car run cooler, check out Trackspec. They offer a wide variety of hood vents. Many racers report that on a 130 MPH straight before venting, they have seen 5-8 MPH increase after venting.

An old thumb rule provides that for each degree drop in temperature, a motor can gain about 2 HPs. So, if the under hood temps are 220 for instance, and the vents reduce temps to about 200, you will gain power. The vents are also reasonably inexpensive. Many are GT2 certified.

Also, they keep the hood from lifting due to underhood air pressure, which makes more down force for the front tires.

Last edited by rednari2; 11-25-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rednari2
If you are interested in making a race car run cooler, check out Trackspec. They offer a wide variety of hood vents. Many racers report that on a 130 MPH straight before venting, they have seen 5-8 MPH increase after venting.

An old thumb rule provides that for each degree drop in temperature, a motor can gain about 2 HPs. So, if the under hood temps are 220 for instance, and the vents reduce temps to about 200, you will gain power. The vents are also reasonably inexpensive. Many are GT2 certified.

Also, they keep the hood from lifting due to underhood air pressure, which makes more down force for the front tires.
Sorry, but an increase of 5-8 mph just by adding hood vents is bs.

Under hood temps have little to do with hp. Intake temps do make a difference. If you have a good cold air intake, the under hood temps aren’t going to make a big difference in intake temps.

You also can’t just put hood vents anywhere on the hood and expect them to exhaust air. They might actually suck air depending on how the pressures are on and under the hood in that location.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve91T

Under hood temps have little to do with hp. Intake temps do make a difference. If you have a good cold air intake, the under hood temps aren’t going to make a big difference in intake temps.

You also can’t just put hood vents anywhere on the hood and expect them to exhaust air. They might actually suck air depending on how the pressures are on and under the hood in that location.

I guess you do not know that much about road racing. Ask other racers. Go on the Corvette forums. Go to GT/SCCA events and talk to owners and drivers. Try it yourself like I have. Try to find a serious racer who doesn't use them.

And of course you cannot place the vents anywhere. The company provides templates and tech support for correct placement. The vent is placed in the low pressure area of the hood which varies on each hood and car model.

The poster inquired as to performance upgrades. I provided one. I suppose you will fire back a remark. Do what you will, but this conversation is over.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rednari2
I guess you do not know that much about road racing. Ask other racers. Go on the Corvette forums. Go to GT/SCCA events and talk to owners and drivers. Try it yourself like I have. Try to find a serious racer who doesn't use them.

And of course you cannot place the vents anywhere. The company provides templates and tech support for correct placement. The vent is placed in the low pressure area of the hood which varies on each hood and car model.

The poster inquired as to performance upgrades. I provided one. I suppose you will fire back a remark. Do what you will, but this conversation is over.
8 MPH increase in speed from hood vents alone? Sorry dude, that’s ridiculous. I am going to be adding vents to hopefully aid in cooling and maybe a little less front end lift. And even then there’s no guarantees that it’ll work. Jump over to frrax and check out the thread on vents.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe MPH increase by adding hood vents, AND front end aero.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

8 MPH increase in speed from hood vents alone? Sorry dude, that’s ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous and it's not BS.

In some cars (like the F body) the hood acts like a parachute. Underhood pressures and turbulent air across the hood create drag and slow the car. Proper vent placement will relieve the under hood pressure, prevent lift, and smooth the air, all at the same time, improving laminar air flow and decreasing drag.

Take a look at winning ST1-2 cars. Hood vents are not there for decoration. Even slower cars like spec Miatas are faster with them. How much you gain depends on your current set up.

This simple hood scoop cover gained me about 4mph at the top end (135mph+), but for a completely different reason. And it looks good.
The point is, sometimes a seemingly insignificant change can provide significant gains.
Question for any high-horsepower F-bodies in here...-r2mpi9d.jpg

Last edited by .boB; 12-03-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Question for any high-horsepower F-bodies in here...