Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Fuel cells and feed issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 01:40 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Fuel cells and feed issues.

I think I'm having fuel feed issues with my fuel cell.
I have an RCI top feed fuel cell. At the time I bought it, a sump wasn't an option. Its a foamless cell. The fuel pickup tube is 1/2" located about 1/4" from the bottom of the center of the tank.
I have a pair of AEM 380s ran in parallel with check valves below the tank. They are drawing through a spin-on fuel filter.
During hard acceleration or cornering, my fuel pump becomes very loud and my wideband starts to show lean. It usually only lasts a couple of seconds and then goes back to normal.

I have some options:
-Put a Holley Hydramat in the tank. The problem is that the mat itself is $200. I'll have to use a tubing cutter to cut the pickup tube to the appropriate height, and use barb fittings/hose to connect the Hydramat. I can then delete the pre-pump filter.
-Replace the fuel cell with a sumped one. Keep the pre-pump filter. Hope that I still have adequate fueling on hard cornering/decel
-Cut open and baffle my existing cell, change nothing. No hydramat.

Any suggestions on which route to go?
Old 07-28-2018, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

hydramat will work better then any of those options for less money and time invested
Old 07-28-2018, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 more for the Holley mat. Definitely the way to go
Old 07-29-2018, 02:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I did have to cut mine open to install a baffle. I cut strips of aluminum on a table saw and assembled the baffle inside the cell thru the after removing the filler assembly.
To get them to lock together you cut half way thru each strip of aluminum so each half of the cut slide into the other side.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 07-29-2018 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Old 07-29-2018, 02:53 AM
TECH Junkie

This is the best picture I could find to show what I'm talking about.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:13 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Other than the oval hole on the left, it appears we have the EXACT same fuel cell.
Were you having issues even with a full tank? I'll top mine off, stomp the throttle and my fuel pump will start buzzing loudly.

Considering the Hydramat still, although its more expensive than just buying a proper fuel cell. I can sump this one very very easily, but I don't think that will solve my problem.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

The extra hole is just so I can fill from either side easily. I have mine mounted at the front the bed of my S10 near the cab and also have a fiberglass tonneau cover that makes it a little tight getting fuel in the cell.I never ran it without the baffles, I've never had an issue with fuel pickup and I like to do some serious cornering and I run it down to 1/4 tank.
The truck is setup pro touring style with 18 x 9.5 fronts with 275/35/18 Nitto's and 19x12 rears with 325/30/19 Nitto's, Big sway bars and stiff springs plus Bilstein shocks all the way around, Also has 14" brakes.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I'll top mine off, stomp the throttle and my fuel pump will start buzzing loudly.
You might have a different issue, If your return in dumping a high volume back in the cell then it's possible that your fuel pump is sucking in air bubbles produced by the returning fuel. With a full or nearly full tank there is no way you're uncovering the feed.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
hydramat will work better then any of those options for less money and time invested
I think this is the correct answer.

The only way to make an internal change that will really work is to install a collector box with one way valves. Metal baffles with holes in them may be helpful, but are not really going to help much. In the end, you'll spend a lot of time and money for very little improvement. If you're going to cut the tank apart, install a real collector.

You might also consider a surge tank. Still not cheap. But, IMO, better than cutting the tank apart to install baffles.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by .boB
I think this is the correct answer.

The only way to make an internal change that will really work is to install a collector box with one way valves. Metal baffles with holes in them may be helpful, but are not really going to help much.
I run my tank down to 1/4 tank and haven't had any issues, I'm not launching at a drag strip only the street but I also corner the **** out of it and never have had an issue with fuel pickup. It costs a few dollars to make the baffles so if they don't work for him he's not out much. The hydramat will fix any issues if fuel pickup is his problem but I don't see how he could be uncovering the pickup tube with a full tank..... he said "I'll top mine off, stomp the throttle and my fuel pump will start buzzing loudly."

Last edited by LLLosingit; 08-06-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel cells and feed issues.