Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Brake Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004 | 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Default Brake Fluid Question

I searched but couldn't find anyone with a definitive answer...

My car is a 2002 coming up on 3 years old w/ 31K miles. The car still has the stock fluid in it. I have front and rear Brembo OEM rotors and Hawk HPS pads to go on it and I wanted to go with the ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid.

How much (liters) will I need to completely flush the old brake fluid out with the ATE? I want to make sure I order enough since I'm sure I can't find it at the local auto parts store.

Also are there any other items I should get that would be a good idea? Caliper rebuild kit? etc. and where can I get it.

Thanks guys
Old 08-21-2004 | 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I had a better answer for you but I just run about 1/2 liter through the system after I suck as much fluid as possible from the master cylinder. I may not get 100% of all the old fluid out but I do this every six months or so the small amount that may be left over doesn't effect the overall boiling point too awfull much {I think}. The first time I flushed the system and replaced it with Motul,, I ran a good bit through {something like 1.5 liters} it just to make sure I got all the factory fluid out.

Anyone have a more definite answer?? Maybe someone that paid attention when they flushed with the Blue??
Old 08-21-2004 | 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

So would buying 2 liters be safe? Or can I get by with one?
Old 08-22-2004 | 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would do 1.5 liters since you are flushing the first time. Then, when you are doing your before event /once a year/whenever flushes,,,, you could probably get away with .5-1 liter since you already have good {but old} fluid in the system. Plus you will have some extra when you need to top off. It would suck to have to top off with some low end stuff because you forgot to order in time.
Old 08-22-2004 | 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

Alright, I'll just go ahead and get 2 liters to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-11-2004 | 01:21 AM
TECH Resident

Just for the record....1 liter will cover a flush of the braking system.
Old 10-06-2004 | 07:33 AM
Launching!

Turkey baster. K Mart. Use it to suck out the old fluid from the MC. Replace w/new fluid. Don't flush old fluid thru the lines. Makes no sense. This will minimize the amount of expensive fluid you'll use and insure you will be able to see the new fluid upon it being pumped/sucked out of each caliper.

Steve

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Also are there any other items I should get that would be a good idea? ....and where can I get it.
Thanks guys

Trending Topics

Old 10-27-2004 | 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can flush my whole car on 3/4 liter of ATE.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Question