Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Help me please...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me please...

Hi all, I have a lot of questions about lowering my car and about chassis flex, Everytime I ask these questions in another forum, I get responses from people who really don't know what there talking about, and they always assume I know absolutely nothing, and that I have not searched for the info. I figure it is time to talk directly to the gurus (road racers).

Here is my first question, regarding subframe connectors: Under normal flex, i.e. potholes, speed bumps, what is the main component that wears out? Is it the body? How much does the chassis fatigue? What does fatigue because of the chassis flexing? I want my car to last a long time,like 400k, and mainly street duty, and the subframe connectors stiffen the body as a whole. But, because of this "squaring" of the chassis and body, will my hatch shake more? will the weatherstripping get sawed in two because the flex that normally would be absorbed in the body, is now translating into parts that are not very securely mounted such as the hatch? Or will it actually be the opposite, and allow things like the weatherstripping to last longer, and the body to last say 400k. Are the connectors mainly a race item? or will they be good for only street duty?

I apologize for the many questions, I know the car is a "system" and when you change one area it affects another, These questions are kind of technical, but if no one knew, there wouldn't be an aftermarket. Please help me undertand how connectors "help" the car, again one that only sees street duty.

I really want to improve this car and make it last longer than GM built it to. That is where I am lost, did they not add something that stiffens the body this much because of cost? or simply the body needs to flex?
Thank you for any help.

Last edited by psykoTa; 09-16-2004 at 10:24 PM.