Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

So I AutoX'd for the first time last night

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I AutoX'd for the first time last night

damn, that was a lot of fun. The wife really enjoyed it to!!

A local church sets up a small course the first friday of every month. I heard about it a week or so ago and decided to give it a shot. A lot more fun and a lot longer that drag racing thats for sure! I definitly want to do it again and now I am looking at giving it a shot at the local road course.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome, I found out recently that if I had been able to make it to just one more event i would have been the novice of the year for the SCR. Bummer, but I'lll be going to more events next year.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

trying to figure out how I can do drag racing, my passion, and RR AutoX with the same car. Don't think its going to happen though.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -=Merlin=-
trying to figure out how I can do drag racing, my passion, and RR AutoX with the same car. Don't think its going to happen though.

best way to go is to make it up for road race and then do your best on the strip. get some Konis and 2 sets of wheels.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Teching In

I've been running my Cobra at both all year, and I even threw in a 2 day road course event for good measure. If you're looking at racing as being fun more than a competition, then you can easily enjoy both forms of racing without sacrificing too much. I recently bought a Z28 so the Cobra (my daily driver), can be left alone. I don't want to dig into it too much and modify it past the basics.

My intentions will be to run the Z28 at all the autocross events, and then enjoy the drag strip upon occasion. I've steered away from drag racing a bit since I started autocrossing. Once I mod a car and consistantly get the 1/4 times down to a certain point, I don't feel the need to go very often. Why should I, I already know what she'll run so why beat on her more? When I add a mod, THEN I go back and see how she does.

But in autocrossing, the course is different every single time. So no mater how you did last time, it's a whole new ballgame the next event. I like getting to enjoy my car for a longer run than at the strips too. So if I were you, I'd set the car up for autocrossing, and enjoy the drags as a secondary hobby. If I didn't purchase the car with shocks/springs already, I'd probably have gotten adjustable shocks so you can tune it a bit depending on which type of racing you were going to be doing. Just a thought.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Buy a miata for the Autox. Cheaper than all the suspension work (About 4k) and is autocross ready. Thats what I did. Camaro for the Strip, Miata for the cones and the vette for whatever...
Old 11-09-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

lilone, then doesn't that mean that your NOT driving your Camaro! Not driving my Trans Am would defeat the purpose of owning it.

I say, but a v8, hardtop formula for autocross, and use the TA for drag racing and daily driving.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

A local Church set it up? Cool!

I tried a few things mentioned in this thread - when I had my 10 second 99 Z28, I bought a Miata to autocross. The bad thing that happened was that I started wanting to mod the Miata. I gutted the cat, put on a Borla, cold air intake, etc.

Then sold it because my priorities were all wrong.

I think modding the fbody and making it good at both is the way to go.

Nice SB Cobra by the way....
Old 11-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jhelms
I think modding the fbody and making it good at both is the way to go.

Nice SB Cobra by the way....
I had looked at several different types of cars before buying the Z28. I found plenty that would be good autocross cars: 1989 Supercharged MR2, 1992 Nissan 240SX, and a 1978 Datsun 280z. They were small, light, and handled well. I'm sure they would have done well, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I just didn't enjoy 4/6cyl cars. I don't care for how they sound and I don't care for their low power.

As you say, it's all about priorities. I'd rather come in 2nd (or 5th, 6th, etc) and enjoy slinging a loud V8 around the course, as opposed to being one of the 20 Miatas that come to every event (damn I get tired of watching them buzz around like little bees ) and take home a 1st place trophy.

The cobra is too heavy, and has too much torque (not to mention the boost increase knocked it into an insanely modded class even though it's mostly stock), so picking up another V8 was the only right choice for me.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Launching!

damn, that was a lot of fun. The wife really enjoyed it to!!

A local church sets up a small course the first friday of every month. I heard about it a week or so ago and decided to give it a shot. A lot more fun and a lot longer that drag racing thats for sure! I definitly want to do it again and now I am looking at giving it a shot at the local road course.

so how did it feel to get owned by a Miata?

Quick Reply: So I AutoX'd for the first time last night