Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 10:54 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Endurance Karting - 6hr race last week @ Moroso

6 hours, 4 drivers per kart. 27 teams.
www.endurancekarting.com

My torso still hurts.

Despite, the sheer silliness of the karts themselves (one step up from the local go-kart joint), the skill (or lack thereof) of the driver is clearly expressed.

My first few laps were a very humiliating experience. I had never done this before and missed the practice session held on Fri. night. Sat. morning my qualifying laps must have been the worst out there. We had (5) 20 minute stints in the car. By midway through my 1st stint I was lapping mid-pack numbers (1:14 ish).

My buddy had done Skip Barber Race School two weeks prior to the karting race and his best qualifying lap was hist very 1st lap (goes to show the school paid off) and had never touched a kart before.

We raced in the Super Rookie class, qualified 18th out of 27 teams, finished 18th and won our division. Our team's avg lap time must have been 1:14 while the leaders were lapping 1:12, dipping into 1:11's.

Lots of fun. This was my intro to any sort of racing other than straight line 1/4 mile. Learned a lot about apexes and tapping the brake to get the car to turn in.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEy - you were there???????

I made the trip all the way from massachusetts for that one - I was captain of the Jagatomi Racing Team - we finished first in class (GT1) and fourth overall.

Which team were you on/Kart Number???

I can't believe I had no idea another LS1tech member was there, and I even had an LS1Tech sticker on my helmet!!!!!!!

We had a terrible handling kart - it had a bent tie-rod on the left front, by the end of the race the tire was worn down to the cords - I have pics from the event posted online - PM me. As a result, I was only able to run times in the 1:13s and 1:12s, no 1:11s for me One of the members on my team was captain of the team that went to the 24 hours of portugal two years ago and finished first, and last year finished third.

The karts aren't as "silly" as you think - they are basically bare-bones driving machines that show driver skill, more or less, and are excellent for developing your basic driving skills. While they could have more straight-line power, as you probably noticed, they have enough power to slow you down in the corners (note the phrasing - "enough power to slow you down").

Send me a PM - I'm race karts very regularly, and do alot of the events around the country with endurance karting.

Last edited by SuperBuick; 12-07-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:04 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^ Sounds like you're really into it. Kick *** times!

We were ELP Racing... kart 15 I believe.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Name:  Dscn0707.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  118.8 KB
Name:  Dscn0710.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  134.4 KB
As you can see - something was not right here - as a result the slower times...

Name:  Dscn0656.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  137.0 KB
Thats me making the roundabout by the start/finish area.....

That was an extremely technical track - lots of compromise corners - I had a tough time getting a good lap in...still have lots to learn.

I'll look through some of our pictures to see if I have any with kart #15 in it. Its too bad I didn't know who you were, I'd have liked to say hello (and how jealous I am that you live in florida)

We'll probably be down again in April for the race in jacksonville - its a really good track I've heard - you ought to run in that race.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:20 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Ah, here I am (spun out). Hehe.

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...um=0&adjust=-1

I totally agree that this type of event is all about driver skill. It is competitive racing in its purest form. Realistically, you can't have an arrive and drive program with high powered vehicles which allows total novices to show up and race. That's the beauty of this event.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:34 PM
FormerVendor

Wow! Not even KT100 karts! Equal I suppose is the key word here

Nice work!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow! Not even KT100 karts! Equal I suppose is the key word here
Yup - like SouthFL.02.SS was saying - just can't be done in anything more powerful - too much risk involved. Delimited, these karts will do about 60, so it isn't too bad. Its not a rotax 125, but then again, who would want to race with novices in those

The competition is what you pay for with endurance karting events - lots and lots of SCCA-type drivers, as well as rotax max, rally, and other types of drivers, so you learn good skills that form a solid base.

-T
Old 12-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Launching!

I may have to do one of the events in the future. I just had my money elswhere (getting 2 cars ready for Sebring) and the heads and cam swap on the Vette. Looks like a blast! 60MPH in a cart doesn't feel slow!

Derek
Old 12-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That just screams fun!

Quick Reply: Endurance Karting - 6hr race last week @ Moroso