Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Right Place for Tire Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Place for Tire Questions?

I have a 2004 Cadi CTS-V that I want to get some more aggressive rubber for the stock rim. I don't want a full slick so that way I can get away with driving my car to and from the track on the race rubber.

A friend of mine has always ran Kumhos on his Prelude and seems to love them. I recently found out about the Dunlop SS Super Sport Race tires. I noticed that Falken has a new style Azenis.

Basically, what I am searching for is recommendations for a DOT tire that would kick *** on the circuit. Also, some help with picking the right tire size. Stock is 245/45/18. I found some 255/35's and 265/35's, which I would love to get the 265's, but I am unsure of the fitment.

Can anyone lend a hand?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 184 Likes on 121 Posts

I can't help with tire size..... but I ran 285/30/18 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires on my '93 RX-7 (LS1 powered) and loved them. R compound with grooves (not good for rain) that are fine on the street.

I competed in the Sport Compact Car Magazine "Ultimate Street Car Challenge" and pulled a 1.13g on the 200ft skidpad and a 1.09g average.....
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=431720

Hoosier DOT R compound tires are a bit stickier... but are very prone to punctures when driving on the street. Also Toyo RA-1's are noted as a very good dual purpose tire and have a history as wearing well.

I would recommend getting a set of dedicated track rims/tires and keep your stock wheels for street duty. Wearing out R compound tires that are $300/each approx on the street gets old fast....

-Mark

Quick Reply: Right Place for Tire Questions?