Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

"mid price point" brake fluids??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "mid price point" brake fluids??

I was wondering, which of the "mid-priced" (i.e.; Motul 600, AP 600, etc.) brake fluids will stand up best to 1+ year flushes and street use, while absorbing the least amount of moisture?? I want to go better than ATE Blue/Type 200, Valvoline Syn, or Motorcraft, (higher wet and dry boiling points) but I do not want to spend SRF or GS610 money. I will bleed them if I open track it, but I do not want to be flushing the system every month!!! Any suggestions??
Old 05-26-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 178 Likes on 116 Posts

Motul 600 is about $10/quart and has worked well for me. I use a MittyVac to bleed the brakes. 2 pints should be enuf to flush any system.

You will burn thru more gas in one day racing..... so why worry about $10/pints of synthetic fluid.

Are you road racing or AutoX?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For God's sake, stay AWAY from that GS610 crap. That guy screwed many F-Car owners by taking 1000's of dollars for his big brake package and never delivered anything.

Now ...

Castrol SRF ... it has a HUGE price tag at $70 a litre. I put this stuff in my brake system in February of 2005. I ran 24 races, 12 qualifying sessions, 8 practice sessions and 2 TnT days and 8 HPDE sessions in 2005.

I have ran 10 races, 6 qualifying sessions, 4 practice sessions, 1 TnT day and 4 HPDE sessions.

I've done 1 sanity bleed at teh beginning of the year and replaced 2 calpiers. I went through 1 1/2 litres and the brake fluid is as clear as it was when I poured it in the system.

Now, say what you will, but not having to jack with brake fluid is a huge benefit and time saver. While it's 7 times more expensive, it only require 1/10 the expense of Motul 5.1.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mitchntx
For God's sake, stay AWAY from that GS610 crap. That guy screwed many F-Car owners by taking 1000's of dollars for his big brake package and never delivered anything.

Now ...

Castrol SRF ... it has a HUGE price tag at $70 a litre. I put this stuff in my brake system in February of 2005. I ran 24 races, 12 qualifying sessions, 8 practice sessions and 2 TnT days and 8 HPDE sessions in 2005.

I have ran 10 races, 6 qualifying sessions, 4 practice sessions, 1 TnT day and 4 HPDE sessions.

I've done 1 sanity bleed at teh beginning of the year and replaced 2 calpiers. I went through 1 1/2 litres and the brake fluid is as clear as it was when I poured it in the system.

Now, say what you will, but not having to jack with brake fluid is a huge benefit and time saver. While it's 7 times more expensive, it only require 1/10 the expense of Motul 5.1.
Thanks, Mitch. I guess I'll have to "step up" and consider the SRF. How much more often do you think you would have to dump the Motul 600 if you used that??
Old 05-27-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

To be honest, I tried RBF600 and didn't like it, so I went back to Motul 5.1. 5.1 is an easy find in motorcycle shops.

I was bleeding a full bottle of 5.1 after each event. It came out kind of thich and a milky, green color. I used a full bottle because it has a very short shelf life.

SRF has a much longer shelf life. I used SRF that had sat on the shelf for a year, in an opened, but sealed, bottle. I did collapse the bottle to get as much air out as I could.

SRF is not for everyone. Not everyone bleeds brakes like a road racer does. But if one could spend $5.00 a gallon for gas and it give you 50mpg, it would be a big benefit.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Launching!

SRF cheapest per mile by far and best performing. SRF
Old 06-03-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We run SRF at my new shop in all of our AP stuff although rumor has it that Castrol messed up 50,000 gallons of the stuff and supplys are scarse..deffently worth the coin...also AP has some new stuff out supposed to be better than Castrol but who knows ....
Old 06-03-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Rumors about SRF are always out there.

A couple years ago, the rumor was that SRF had some cancer causing agents that were banned in the US and therefore SRF was no longer gonna be available.

I figure the rumors are started by Motul distributors ...
Old 06-04-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.) SRF
2.) Motul RBF 600
tied w/ AP Super 6
3.) NEO 610

** Thought I would include this .... its a good read.

Last edited by chicane; 06-05-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I was wondering, which of the "mid-priced" (i.e.; Motul 600, AP 600, etc.) brake fluids will stand up best to 1+ year flushes and street use, while absorbing the least amount of moisture?? I want to go better than ATE Blue/Type 200, Valvoline Syn, or Motorcraft, (higher wet and dry boiling points) but I do not want to spend SRF or GS610 money. I will bleed them if I open track it, but I do not want to be flushing the system every month!!! Any suggestions??
Better how? ATE is great fluid, not SRF, but great fluid for what it costs. It's very moisture resistance, has very high wet boiling point and a damn good dry point. Used with much success in many cars.

SRF is great stuff. I sell it, but most folks don't like the price tag and are willing to bleed before/after track days if need be. But no need on the street. I flush mine once a year, bleed @ 6 months and have had no issue at all. That's with some track days and general use that's enough to turn rotors blue and heat check them (Brembo's not crap ones).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-06-2006, 06:09 AM
Launching!

I run the ATE Super Blue myself with no issues. I bleed a little out before every track event. Bought a case of the stuff last year, and still have about 6 cans left....stuff is cheap and effective.

I can say though, that it is the only fluid I've tried.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Teutonic Speedracer
I run the ATE Super Blue myself with no issues. I bleed a little out before every track event. Bought a case of the stuff last year, and still have about 6 cans left....stuff is cheap and effective.

I can say though, that it is the only fluid I've tried.
TS; with which organization do you open track/road race?? Do you stick to the "local" tracks (Summit Point, Pocono, Lime Rock) or do you go further (Beaver Run, NHIS, etc.)?? Did you ever have your car on the street (and registered/inspected) with the Momo wheel installed? If so what did you do about the dash lights, and did our inspection ***** give you any grief about it?? Just curious. I have a reg./inspected car with a Sparco 375 installed. I just used black electrical tape to cover the airbag/SVS leds, and went right through inspection.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Launching!

I open track primarily with BMW clubs (LRP, SP, WGI, POC, VIR). Car is registered, but is not due for inspection until next March. Car wasn't as extensively modified last March (went to a private station).

Quick Reply: "mid price point" brake fluids??