Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

CMC-2 added to NASA - LS1 F-bodies now allowed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the SS cars got a taller box just like the WS6 did right? also realize that he SS amd WS6 from the LT1 cars are included in this rule, and i know they both had a "ram air" set-up's. it was an all encompassing comment.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glenn98ZM6
the SS cars got a taller box just like the WS6 did right? also realize that he SS amd WS6 from the LT1 cars are included in this rule, and i know they both had a "ram air" set-up's. it was an all encompassing comment.

No, SS cars did not get a taller box.

What is the point if 285hp is the limit? Thats like 230 at the wheels.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no, the posted number in the charts is RWHP measured on a dyno.
roll your eyes all you want. you dont get it. keep spending evey dollar to have to make HP, and the more power you make the more parts you break. there is always a weak link. and there is always someone who is willing to spend more to make more HP to be faster tham you. so who cares if its only 285 rwhp, 230 rwhp, 1000 rwhp, if we all have the same power why does it matter how much you get? do you need an advantage to be faster? i sure dont.
this class stops that. your limited to xx hp @ xx weight. the only way you get faster is to learn to drive better.
and for the 230 @ the wheels - thats what my 95 Z CMC cars is @. really its 225hp/285tq @ the WHEELS. and its plenty fast @ 3200lbs w/ a 220lb driver post race. and i started doing open track events in my 98 Z w/ 456rwhp/422rwtq. the 95 w/ 230 will spank it. reason? less weight and a suspension not compromised for street duty. that and i learned to not depend on the power to get my lap times down. i learned to drive.

as for the air box, if the 98-02 SS air box is the same as the 98-02 Z28, then its legal. except for the little rubber flap in from of the air box. the LT1 SS style air box is not legal. same w/ all WS6 set-ups.
basically remove all non-body components that make an SS/WS6 different from a Z28/Formula/Trans Am and your legal.
guys i didnt post this here to get a bunch of BS over it and the rules. i did it for those who want to come road racing in a series that isnt about who can out spend who.
my car is a top finishing car. i placed 3rd in the National Championship Race this year. i placed 2nd in the Texas Region Championship this year. i've used 3 sets of tires and 2 sets of brake pads in 55 20 minute races. i've blown no motors. i started w/ an 80K junk yard motor that cost me $800 and did nothing to it for the 2 years i've raced it (thats 55 races). i picked up a used trans, a free clutch. a $50 rear end. i started w/ a $300 95 Camaro body stripped to the bone. i have $10K in the entire car. thats every little part, not $10K plus car. if you have a car, it can be race ready w/ just a seat, cage, 5 point belts, window net, fire ex and a fire suit.

i think Mitch is right.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not giving you a hard time, I was just wondering. I'll be interested in running either CMC or American Iron in a couple years when I'm out of school, but I don't plan on using my current car for it anyway, I'll pick up something a lot cheaper that I'm not as attached to for race only duty.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

glad to hear it. have you been to any race's yet? if not, go. all theyguys in the series are very open about what they do to keep the competition close. start collecting info now.

buy the way, AI is a big money class. we have a car here that cost about $80K to build.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He was referring to the other post christian

Sounds like fun! Im not sure what Im going to do with my camaro, maybe thats the ticket
Old 12-01-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you dont have a Camaro. youve traded up to the dark side w/ that fancy Vette of yours.

hows life Louis? done w/ school yet?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:44 PM
FormerVendor

Ive accumulated another test bed on top of the C6. School is complete in T Minus 15 days
Old 12-01-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i fully expect to see you at some events this year.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:49 PM
FormerVendor

Got any links to your beater errrr I mean THe purple people eater?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

will someone PLEASE shut these two ******** up?? for them to think everyone should just demod their car, that they may have spend thousands and thousands on upgrading the motor, is absolutley ******* ridiculous, JUST so they can run and compete in some new class. my god, where do they get off talking down to people on their high horses?!?!? you think you can degrade and insult someone because they want to make their car faster?? these are their STREET CARS......perhaps their DAILY DRIVERS....and for you to insult them because they modded the engine, and are shocked to hear YOU say they're stupid and less of a driver then the all mighty glen and mitch for doing it? if i ever wanted to get into this, i would buy ANOTHER car and make it a strictly race car. gee, just like YOU DID. have you ever thought at all that maybe some people here CANT AFFORD A DRIVER AND A RACE CAR?!? and their only option to race IS thier daily driver? perhaps one they've had for several years and have already spent time and money to boost horsepower? then you come down off your high horse and a specially prepared racecar, and look down your nose at them, calling them playstation drivers for putting headers on their cars? what the hell is wrong with you? real life isn't just on a racetrack with rules upon rules. real life is whatever the **** a person wants to do with it. you have NO right to say ANYTHING derogatory to ANYONE wanting to boost hp and race somehow. maybe if everyone else had the time, money, and space, they'd buy ANOTHER car and build a dedicated race car. but if they dont, how ******* dare you call them a 'playstation racer'. of course, a dedicated racecar, stripped, with tires/suspension/brake mod will outlap a high horse-stock susp. car. what, you think youre the first person to realize that?!? gee, maybe thats why some POS bone stock honda weighing as much as my engine can cut a faster time on an autox course....but is the real world entirely contained in a parking lot? NO. so you make do with what you have and your conditions.

i have never ranted to anyone on this site before, but what you said boiled my blood like no other. no matter what i drove, i would never race with people like you.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glenn and Mitch - what exactly on the WS-6 and SS cars is not legal?

Hoods - allowed as per Section 8.4
8.4. Update/Backdate Body Components
OEM body components, unit body, and subframes may be updated/backdated only within the years, make and model groups as follows:
1. 1982-92 Chevrolet Camaro (all submodels eg – RS, Z28, IROC etc)
2. 1993-2002 Chevrolet Camaro (all submodels eg – RS, Z28, SS etc)
3. 1979-93 Ford Mustang (all submodels including Saleen models)
4. 1994-98 Ford Mustang (all submodels including Saleen and Roush models)
5. 1999-2004 Ford Mustang (all submodels including Saleen and Roush models)
6. 1979-86 Mercury Capri
7. 1982-92 Pontiac Firebird (all submodels eg Formula, Trans-Am, WS6, etc)
8. 1993-2002 Pontiac Firebird (all submodels eg Formula, Trans-Am, WS6, etc)

Swaybars - all can be changed, so it matters not what was OEM

Bushings - can be changed, so again it doesn't matter

Exhaust - free, except manifolds (which were the same)

Wheels - non-SS/WS-6 may upgrade to 17x9.5 wheels

I can't think of anything else that's different. So, if a regular Z-28 and an SS (or Trans Am/Formula and WS-6) can be equipped wih the exact same equipment, why is one illegal?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if alot of power is what you guys want, go race AI - 9.5 lbs per HP is the rule. have fun loosing and spending alot of money. my 98 is modded so much that that by CMC weight charts (if they went that high) would have to weigh in @ 4400lbs. i decided not to demod my car and to build another one. that was my decision. i have a 450+rwhp/420+rwtq car sitting in my garage modded out the wazoo. my 98 started out as my daily driver and my weekend drag car. i played that game for a couple years and realized it was futal. i was never gonna be faster than those who could out spend me. and trust me, that list was long.
i never said, you had to demod. if you wanna race in CMC or CMC-2, then here are the rules. i also went way beyond what i should have to in order to try and explain why they dont let you "run what ya brung". its about money.

be as pissed as you want. i got alot of attitude for comming in here and trying to promote something other than drag racing. a couple of years ago i posted about CMC (no LS1's allowed) and all i got was comments about how they thought it was stupid that no LS1's were allowed. since then, they have been working on a place to put them. here it is. so its no wonder that i have a little attitude now w/ negative responses. and its people like you that made me not like hanging out @ the drag races. i've never seen a shooting or a stabbing @ any road cource event i've attended. so yes, i'm a better peson now just bythe better crowd i hang w/.

the info is there. if your intrested great. if not, great too. you dont like it, dont read it.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
Glenn and Mitch - what exactly on the WS-6 and SS cars is not legal?

Hoods - allowed as per Section 8.4
8.4. Update/Backdate Body Components
OEM body components, unit body, and subframes may be updated/backdated only within the years, make and model groups as follows:
1. 1982-92 Chevrolet Camaro (all submodels eg – RS, Z28, IROC etc)
2. 1993-2002 Chevrolet Camaro (all submodels eg – RS, Z28, SS etc)
3. 1979-93 Ford Mustang (all submodels including Saleen models)
4. 1994-98 Ford Mustang (all submodels including Saleen and Roush models)
5. 1999-2004 Ford Mustang (all submodels including Saleen and Roush models)
6. 1979-86 Mercury Capri
7. 1982-92 Pontiac Firebird (all submodels eg Formula, Trans-Am, WS6, etc)
8. 1993-2002 Pontiac Firebird (all submodels eg Formula, Trans-Am, WS6, etc)

Swaybars - all can be changed, so it matters not what was OEM

Bushings - can be changed, so again it doesn't matter

Exhaust - free, except manifolds (which were the same)

Wheels - non-SS/WS-6 may upgrade to 17x9.5 wheels

I can't think of anything else that's different. So, if a regular Z-28 and an SS (or Trans Am/Formula and WS-6) can be equipped wih the exact same equipment, why is one illegal?
i went round and round last year w/ them on this. it boils down to the cold air set-ups. for the most part. it also is about the LT4.
also remember in CMC the 17" wheels are not allowed. only now w/ CMC-2 are they legal in that class. so up to this year there was no place for 17" wheels.
so for CMC: hoods o.k., LT1 4th gen SS and WS6 air boxes and 17" wheels, and LT4's are not o.k.
for CMC-2: basically the WS6 airbox for 98-02 is not legal and all LT1 4th gen SS and WS6 air boxes are not legal. all other parts that make it an SS or WS6 are legal per the rules.

swaybars are limited to OEM bars available. no aftermarket bars.
like i said, i went round and round w/ them and this is what they went w/.
these guys who wrote the rules are not as knowlegable as most here on these F-body forums. so part of the "marketing hype" was part of the reason i'm sure.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are these races at? Would like to come check some out.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

please visit www.NASAPRORACING.com , pick a region nearest you from the drop down to the left of the Toyo Tires banner and look for 2007 dates. i think the Rocky Mountain region is nearest you, but they have an Arizona region too. the Texas Region will be racing 2 events in '07 close to Ft. Worth. those will be the closest one for you to us. i've made that trip from here to elpaso on my way to Arizona MANY times and it sucks ***. but we would love to have you drop by for an event. we normally have about 30 or more cars inAI/AIX/CMC. in '06 CMC had 23 points collecting drivers. in '05 it was 15, in '04 it was 4. its growing really fast.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
i have never ranted to anyone on this site before, but what you said boiled my blood like no other. no matter what i drove, i would never race with people like you.
Feel better?

Folks have been known to drive their street car to race CMC and then drive them home.

But, the point you and most everyone misses is that in CMC, you can build a WHOLE car for what a set of headers, heads, cam, TB and intake costs on an LSX.

So, you CAN afford a real race car. and a daily.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mitchntx
But, the point you and most everyone misses is that in CMC, you can build a WHOLE car for what a set of headers, heads, cam, TB and intake costs on an LSX.

So, you CAN afford a real race car. and a daily.

and what YOU are missing is......where are you going to put a second car? what if you live in an apartment building? you might get one assigned parking spot. what if you dont have a garage....a driveway.....not to mention insurance for DRIVING a racecar to the track. I live in NJ....my insurance is over 2000/year for just my TA. it will be at least that for another F-body, no matter now detuned it is. some people who want to race may just not have the money or physical space for a daily AND a racer. their only option is to run what you brung....and what pissed me off is the attitude you and the other one are giving people who are surprised that you suggest to detune their cars.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and what YOU are missing is......where are you going to put a second car? what if you live in an apartment building? you might get one assigned parking spot. what if you dont have a garage....a driveway.....not to mention insurance for DRIVING a racecar to the track. I live in NJ....my insurance is over 2000/year for just my TA. it will be at least that for another F-body, no matter now detuned it is. some people who want to race may just not have the money or physical space for a daily AND a racer. their only option is to run what you brung....and what pissed me off is the attitude you and the other one are giving people who are surprised that you suggest to detune their cars.
so if all that is a problem, you have your priorities all screwed up if your mad cause you cant race your car in its current form. thing is, you just cant do it in CMC, but there is American Iron. its strickly a HP per pound class. for every 1 HP, you have to carry 9.5lbs as the cars weight. so, if you make 400 rwhp your car must weigh in @ 3800lbs post race. sounds very easy for a totally street legal car to race. install a cage that meets NASA's specs and bolt a fire ex to the cage and a set of 5 points and a window net and your all set. there is your "run what you brung" class. do a google search for it or go to NASAProRacing.com and hit the dropdown menu bar to the left of the Toyo Tires banner and select American Iron. find the rules and have fun. by the way, that class is open to ANY US made sedan thats around a 100" wheelbase.
as for insurance, they dont cover the car on the track, so it shouldnt affect your rates. and Mitch point is your daily driver doesnt have to be a 10 second 4th gen F-body. lots of guys have sold their C5's and Porchas, Vipers and many other really nice cars to put that money into a car to race.

have you ever done any open track driving on a road course?
Old 12-02-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

some people who want to race may just not have the money or physical space for a daily AND a racer. their only option is to run what you brung....and what pissed me off is the attitude you and the other one are giving people who are surprised that you suggest to detune their cars.
Who said everyone can race. Racing is about rules. If you dont like them you can leave. Simple/fair.

Any race Org, has class's. Does NHRA have a heads up run what you brung class thats fair for everyone!!!! NOPE!! its called bracket racing. Nhra/IHRA Nascar, F-1, SCCA, CART, IRL, NASA, SCORE, AMA and hundreds of other race org have class's to fit every vehicle. Weather or not its competive is up to you. I suggest you read the rules. Like I said above if you dont like them you can leave.

Now if you guys are really looking for a place to road race your street cars that dont have a home. I suggest One Lap Of America. Its not cheap for the wk but you will be able to run against some of the fastest street cars in the US. Any takers. I'll see you there.

John

Quick Reply: CMC-2 added to NASA - LS1 F-bodies now allowed!!!!